insurance

• February 12, 2014 1:46 PM PST
    I been looking at insurance getting new quotes. my trucks run around $600yr ea with Geico that's close to everybody else. but my MC insurance with Geico is $550yr Liability!. Progressive offered me the same for $97yr. So I went to Geico changed my least driven truck to dropping underinsured and adding $10,000 medical which covers me in any accident my vehicles or not. So now I have better coverage and saved $450yr. Save 15% or more right!!! how about cost 450% more.
    • 1855 posts
    February 12, 2014 11:33 PM PST
    3 cages (one of which is a 2014) and a trailer all insured to the max with $10K medical, underinsured $1100 total a year. (Safeco)
    2012 Heritage.....$480 a year (Progressive)
    • 5419 posts
    February 13, 2014 1:39 AM PST
    We paid about $1200 a year with State Farm for car, truck & motorcycle... THEN we added our teenage son when he get his license and that was another $600 year.
  • February 13, 2014 1:56 AM PST
    Jimmy The 10K medical you only have to pay on 1 it covers any vehicle accident not just the covered one. I have 3 trucks and a bike and the trucks are $600yr ea. All the companies are close to that. I'm the only one on my policy.
  • February 13, 2014 1:57 AM PST
    Lucky, kids what can you say
    • 5419 posts
    February 13, 2014 2:34 AM PST
    aquadave wrote...
    Jimmy The 10K medical you only have to pay on 1 it covers any vehicle accident not just the covered one. I have 3 trucks and a bike and the trucks are $600yr ea. All the companies are close to that. I'm the only one on my policy.

Not true with all insurance companies, especially when it comes to motorcycles.  We found out the hard way when we had the m/c accident in June that State Farm does not automatically cover medical in a motorcycle accident even though we had medical on drivers.  The mediacal only covered an accident in the cars and the motorcycdle policy speciafically excluded medical unless it was added as a seperate policy. Be sure to read your policy completely!

• February 13, 2014 4:00 AM PST
    Lucky I did see that when getting quotes I didn't quite understand the language State Farm used. progressive and Geico medical do cover accidents on other vehicles let me dig up the exact term

Medical Payments:

Pays certain medical and funeral expenses resulting from a motor vehicle accident. This coverage protects anyone occupying your vehicle. It also covers you and relatives who reside in your household while in other vehicles or if struck as a pedestrian. These benefits are payable without regard to fault. This coverage may not be available in states that require Personal Injury Protection Benefits.

Common Exclusions are similar to those for Bodily Injury Liability coverage (refer to the Bodily Injury Liability help link for more on exclusions).

• February 13, 2014 4:04 AM PST
    Then again you always need a lawyer to get insurance to pay any claim.
  • February 13, 2014 7:24 AM PST
    I talked to geico and they fixed me up
  • February 13, 2014 10:57 AM PST
    Best coverage and prices here for bikes is Progressive for our trucks is Safeco.
  • February 13, 2014 12:09 PM PST
    I'll check out Safeco thanks
    • 3006 posts
    February 14, 2014 4:32 AM PST
    Use Foremost here,basic coverage only state required limits,no extra's $75. a year
  • February 26, 2014 4:07 PM PST
    The problem is not what you pay, but what happens when you file a claim. Good luck. Some higher premiums are worth every dime you pay for them. USAA!
  • February 27, 2014 10:57 AM PST
    blurplebuzz wrote...
    Use Foremost here,basic coverage only state required limits,no extra's $75. a year

^^blurplebuzz; I had Foremost several years ago.  Had minimal state requirements.  Was in accident, other persons fault.  Wasn't employed and didn't have medical coverage at the time.  You guessed it, the old ladies insurance was not enough to cover the bills.   New bike, new coverage and you bet I made sure I have much better coverage.  
    All I am saying is sure you save a few bucks each year with a less expensive policy, but there is a good chance you will pay in the end.  

(On a good note, Foremost paid me in damage for the bike more than I paid for it 15 yrs earlier!!)

• 3006 posts
    February 28, 2014 2:16 PM PST
    Thats sound advice Sue,and I do not recommend that others follow my lead when it comes to determining whats best for their particular situation..Being on a budget here is not easy and at times I have to make hard decisions regarding whats needed over whats wanted.
    Foremost has always been prompt handling my towing claims over the 10+ years they had my policy.Never had any other claims fortunately.I can add coverage w/out any problem if I decide I am going for a long trip & want extra protection for my ride & property,they also have other coverages included at no add'l cost.
    IMO its best to carry high limits for the under/uninsured motorists coverage,which covers the difference for medical costs not covered by the at fault,OPs insurance company.