MC License

• January 8, 2014 4:38 AM PST
    I guess you can call this a ride story. Back in 76 SC made it a law you had to have a bike license. In Charleston there was only DMV that did the bike test. Everybody procrastinates, whoda thunk that?, so on the last day before they start giving tickets, everybody is crammed into this tiny office. it looked like Daytona bike week today as we know it. Everybody knew everybody there so we're having a good time at the DMV, whoda thunk that? After taking the written test we moved on to the riding test. They had the figure 8 , RR crossing, sharp turn, fast stop stuff like that.  There were 5-10 bikes on the same courses at any given time. Not in groups but as 1 finished  another got on. It looked like a Shriner's parade out there. In fact there were many Shriners there. It's one, well the only good memory I have of the DMV
    • 3006 posts
    January 11, 2014 8:48 AM PST
    Thats funny. Thanks for sharing this.They had two scoots the day I took my test it was dead as heck.Used to be here (Calif) if you were over 55 all you needed was a driver license to operate any motorcycle.A lot has changed in the last 40 years since I started riding.Nowdays you make an appointment online or by phone to avoid any long delays at our local DMV.
    • 2685 posts
    January 13, 2014 12:42 AM PST
    I remember when I went to get mine back in the mid 80's, I went into DMV and asked what I needed to do to get a permit and they told me there was no permitting system. Being a little confused I asked how I was supposed to "learn" how to ride. They told me just go out and learn then come back to take the test to get your license. My next question was well ok, what if I get stopped by the cops, was told to just tell them I'm learning and there wouldn't be any issues. I was skeptical but figured what the heck. Rode for 6 months before I decided to get legal. When I went into take my test I was all by myself, they told me be ride around back, do a figure 8. Since the parking lot was empty I took advantage and used the entire thing, rode back to the inspector and she said ok come on in and I'll take your picture. Not exactly a comprehensive test but hey, worked for me. 8^)
    Ride safe.
    • 5420 posts
    January 13, 2014 1:09 AM PST
    The riding test our here in CA is not very comprehensive either, You ride between two parallel lines connected to a circle, when you get ot the circle you go around twice staying between the lines and not putting your foot down then exit the circle back between the parallel lines - repeat going the opposite direction around the circle.

We do have a permit system though and you have to ride with your permit for at least 6 months. And if you take an accredited motorcycle safety riding course during that time you are not required to take the "riding" test to get you license.
    • 2685 posts
    January 13, 2014 1:41 AM PST
    Lucky,
    Yeah, that is the way it is here now as far as the permit and taking a class as well.
    Not sure what the test requires though.
    When I go mine they had one accredited class which was given at the governor's helipad site, now you can take one almost anywhere. I guess gas prices have changed the rules for a lot of people.
  • January 14, 2014 11:22 AM PST
    I remember being nervous about my MC test at the DMV back in 82. I had to borrow a friends bike because mine was a pc of crap and the rear tailight liked to work like a strobe light on ludes. All my worries were for not when the 80 year old DMV tester told me I was going to get killed on that damn bike and who was he to stand in my way. We walked over to my bike and had a smoke, he then said it was hot and congrats I passed the riding test. I never even started the motor.
  • January 14, 2014 12:10 PM PST
    Wheels...LOL! When I took mine...worked our asses off. Had to do two days of class room stuff with daily testing. Then off to a parking lot set up for the ride test. Took about 5 hours, all kinds of trials and routes. Had 8 riders. Was warned not to put a foot down while moving slow or you just failed. I passed ;-)
    • 846 posts
    January 15, 2014 6:59 AM PST
    Back when I got my motorcycle license (mid 70’s) you took the driving test at the parking lot next to the DMV. Where they could watch you and it was fenced in on three sides to hold you in just in case. You could also get your motorcycle license 6 months ahead of when you could get your cage license. So you know that’s what I got first. Now it takes the class and you get your license.
    The kicker of the whole thing was the normal practice was to take the cages first then do the bikes. Well with my scheduled day planned well in advance and wouldn’t you know it the day of my test it’s raining. I’m not talking about a little shower or light rain. I’m talking about down pours that get you soaked to the skin in minutes. So even through it warm out I but on my leather jacket and head out for the 45 min ride to the DMV in pouring rain. Knowing I was last for my time appointment I was sitting on the group bench with no one around me. You see the puddle around me I was creating was getting big each minute I sat there. So the time comes and a finely dress DMV officer (dressed in full uniform with weapon, no suits and ties here) comes out and reads off the first name. No answer, he reads of the second name, no answer then a third name and again no answer. Then he looks at the next name smiles and reads off my name and yes there was an answer. He then proceeded to give me a death stare and pointed to the office. There he went over my paper work and with all the ink running due to being wet. Then it was out to the parking lot him in his over coat and me in a wet and soaked leather jacket. We got about half way through and he just gave me instruction on what to finish with. As I was still going through the paces I looked over to see him duck back inside the DMV. So I finish the whole course and walked back in sat down and made another puddle under the chair. He then just hand over the paper version of my license and told me I could leave.
  • January 24, 2014 1:36 PM PST
    Well, back when I started riding in '76, I wasn't old enough for a drivers license yet and when I got my license ( to drive a car ), I had no idea that there was such a thing as a MC license ( no, really ! ) -- But wait, it gets better .... So for years and years I've been riding and have a CDL ( since I was an over the road trucker ) now, fast forward to 2003 when I bought my Softail, which was my first NEW motorcycle. As I'm filling out the paperwork, the salesperson asks me -- "you do have a license, right ?" I replied, "Oh yeah Linda, I've been licensed since '77 and have a CDL". She then stated, "Do you have a motorcycle license ?" Well, we had joked with each other so much during the sale that I seriously thought that she was kidding, so much so that I actually called DMV ( of course just to be safe, I didn't tell them my name ) and asked if there was such a thing. Imagine my surprise when I learned that I had been riding for 25 years without a license ( the DMV rep called me "lucky" ). So I went through the Due Process to get legal and, just TWO DAYS after getting my MC license, I was stopped at a random road check ( while on my bike ) and I could see the State Trooper's thumb line up on my license where the "M" endorsement is -- Of course everything was in order so he handed my license back to me an waved me on. Yeah, talk about being lucky !
    • 84 posts
    June 20, 2014 8:14 PM PDT
    Ya'lls stories do bring back some memories. Got my m/c license around '67-'68 in Texas. I believe I already had my cage license so it was an add on with about a 20 question multiple choice test and a short riding test in the parking lot.

I'll never forget 2 of the questions...........

1) When carrying a package or luggage on the motorcycle it should be placed
    a) in either hand
    b) between the rider's legs and the gas tank
    c) on the luggage carrier

2) A motorcycle's stability on asphalt compared to that on loose gravel is
    a) greater than
    b) less than
    c) the same

Not even sure why they bothered with a test.
    • 1 posts
    June 21, 2014 2:19 AM PDT
    When I took my test (not going to say the decade) I still had my old 69, having very recently and accidentally learned how to do a stopee (pop the back wheel off ground when still moving) was not wanting to do last test of a rear wheel lock up. I said what if I refuse. Test person says you will only score a 96% on driving skills. I parked bike and said okay.
  • June 21, 2014 2:27 AM PDT
    Believe it or not, an inexperienced rider would have trouble with question number 2. Question number 1 must be designed to weed out just plain stupid.

All I remember about taking the MC test, back in 1975, was worrying about my bike passing the inspection. I had a Yamaha 100 trail bike. I had to find a mirror, get the brake light to work with the front brake, find the baffles and other safety equipment. The driving test was pretty simple, start and stop the bike, drive around some cones. No wheelie or power slides.
  • June 22, 2014 5:35 AM PDT
    In '67 when MC endorsements were mandated in Colorado, one of the local hot shoe racers failed because of a half block long wheelie in front of the inspector. Came back the next week, kept both wheels on the road thru the entire test, got his endorsement, then left the office in another half block long wheelie. LOL

Jon