not riding in the winter

• December 12, 2013 10:10 AM PST
     How do all of you that live in states that get sever winter weather  cope with not riding for a cupple of months at a time?I live in the willameth valley in oregon and can usually ride all winter long,give or take a few icy days at a time.For the last week we have had snow on the ground and havend been able to ride for 8 days now and I am jonsen real hard wanting to get out and ride.It's starting to rain now and the temp is going to be above freezing now ,so hopefully by sunday will be able to ride again (there is a toy run on sunday).My heart goes out to all of you that  are not able to get out and ride during the winter...HAPPY HOLLIDAYS
    • 1855 posts
    December 12, 2013 11:56 AM PST
    Well, west central Ohio is cold, snowy and windy in the winter. New Years day if the roads are clear we take a ride, cold or not. But other than that, unless we trailer south or something I don't handle things very well. We have a tendency for laziness in the winter as well so going to the 'Y' to stay in shape really helps two or three times a week.
  • December 13, 2013 6:27 PM PST
    I consider cold mid 50s lucky it doesn't get like that to often. I ride almost every day except when it's cold. so no ride today but tomorrow it'll be back in the 70s
  • December 14, 2013 4:09 AM PST
    maintenance & polish time
    • 16795 posts
    December 14, 2013 5:11 AM PST
    I have projects in my garages to do.

A few reasons I stopped riding in the winter around here.
    Black ice and snow on the road surface.
    Calcium chloride and salt gets into all the nooks and crannies causes rust and corrosion.
    Drivers are not expecting motorcycles on the road.
    • 3006 posts
    December 14, 2013 1:02 PM PST
    This has been one of the coldest winters here in many years,which usually means drought conditions.Fortunately the cold snap we had has passed,one of the worst in memory.
    I hope you get some riding time in,I have been able to ride nearly every day this month,and even hit the beach back on the 1st.Yeah I wear some seriously warm clothes,may look sorta silly all bundled up yet I dont give a crap,when I am riding whatever works to keep me in the wind and healthy.
    stay safe & enjoy the ride
  • January 17, 2014 4:35 AM PST
    I lived in the San Luis Valley in CO for a few yrs. Alt 7500 at the valley floor. As the SLV has been very dry for quite a few years now (it is considered a high desert), snow and ice weren't the problem but cold definately was. My personal best was -2 but that was about an 8 mile ride one way to and back from work. I just did it to say I had done it. Most of the time when the temps were bitter I'd spend my evening drinking beer with the SpeedTrip in the garage. Sometimes I'd catch my girlfriend staring at me like the RCA dog stared at that old victrola. member that?
    • 86 posts
    January 18, 2014 1:36 AM PST
    I live in the central valley of CA, The weather here is not very bad, but is does get freezing at times. The mornings right now are in the 30's and for me that's too cold to ride. Not sure if that makes me a sissy or not.lol I've been looking at buying heated gloves and jacket linner, with that I think I could ride all year. Its a bit pricey looks like $500-$600 for gloves and jacket linner, so not sure when I'll be able to do that. I rode one morning at 28 degrees to work thought I was going to loose my finger tips...lol not doing that again till I get better gear. Well happy riding everyone I'll be out on the road Sunday with some friends. Need to get rid of my PMS...Parked Motorcycle Syndrome...lol
  • January 18, 2014 10:54 AM PST
    Supposed to be 34* here in the morning.... I'll head out about 9:00 should be about 38* and head north away from the city and hit some FM ( Farm to Market ) roads. They say it should be 28* up by the Red River, guess I'll find out. No heated gear..! Ride every chance I can. No ice, no snow... I ride!

Trippin.
  • January 18, 2014 1:52 PM PST
    I live in Maine and the winters are long but I turn the heat on in the garage and grab a cold one out of the fridge, turn on the tunes and polish the bike, install any extras I might have ordered and get ready for Daytona Bike Week.
    • 1 posts
    January 20, 2014 10:09 PM PST
    I just get" bitchy" when I can't ride...
    Garage projects, keep me from jonesy to bad... Okay that is a lye. They just keep me from jail time, lol.
    • 846 posts
    January 21, 2014 5:16 AM PST
    Most have said it well, If you have a garage project great. Mines stored off site from my house were is warm and safe. Any thing left in my garage most likely will get scratched and dinged. I started jonsen from the day it was put in storage. Bike shows are a plus one a month till March. But the hassle of it all with the fact that the tires don't hold the road well on cold roads and the salt and crap on the road keeps me in check. As I write this it a high of 15 for the day with a winter blizzard warning out for tonight into tomorrow.
    • 70 posts
    January 21, 2014 12:29 PM PST
    Even though I have only been riding a few months, I get soo antsy and I irritate my boyfriend about riding this winter. LOL. I am like a kid begging for candy. I can't wait for the day where I can just get on it and go...I keep myself occupied with other things until Spring then all that goes to hell.
  • Buz
    January 21, 2014 1:48 PM PST
    I put the bike away, and get the snowmobile out!
  • January 27, 2014 3:03 PM PST
    I am buying a Ural gear up 2 wheel drive sidecar hack.

I am DONE waiting for spring!