rake kits

• November 22, 2013 12:42 PM PST
    would like to put a rake kit  my 2008 Kawasaki classic 900 . where can I order one? 4deg.
    vulcanlady ......

• 3006 posts
    November 24, 2013 7:25 AM PST
    You could try any number of parts distributors first and check local salvage yards,I know for my VTX a number of riders were doing rake kits.Make sure the geometry,rake & trail are compatible with your scoot.Not sure of the formula for it yet I know the ratio has to be correct for any given amount of rake/trail relative to the ride.
    Also check for Vulcan specific sites that could have riders who have done the rake.
    • 1855 posts
    November 24, 2013 8:10 AM PST
    Wow!!! I guess you're never to old to learn something. I've never in my 65 years heard of a rake "kit". I'll have to do some searching on that one.

Peace
    • 16828 posts
    November 24, 2013 10:44 AM PST
    I remember "back in the day" folks were selling raked triple-trees, and were having major stress issues.
    • 844 posts
    November 26, 2013 4:58 AM PST
    Jimmy, a rake kit (at least the bolt on type) is basically a new triple tree with a bit of rake. 

Here are some of what is out there... http://frankensteintrikes.com/components_tripletrees_main.html />
    I imagine if you went too far there would be a stress issue, but must are just a few degrees
    • 1855 posts
    November 26, 2013 6:51 AM PST
    GoFur wrote...
    Jimmy, a rake kit (at least the bolt on type) is basically a new triple tree with a bit of rake. 

Here are some of what is out there... http://frankensteintrikes.com/components_tripletrees_main.html />
    I imagine if you went too far there would be a stress issue, but must are just a few degrees

Just never heard the triple tree referred to as a "rake kit".  Thanks for the info. However, if I was going to increase the rake on a motorcycle I wouldn't use a triple tree to do it. It might be good for the trikes.
    Peace

• December 2, 2013 5:17 AM PST
    look for a 4-5 deg. rake kit to buy for 2008 kawasaki Vulcan 900
    can not find one.......
    • 5420 posts
    December 2, 2013 6:06 AM PST
    I am thinking an off the shelf kit is going to be real hard, if not impossible to find. Just not enough demand to have them as a mass produced item. My recommendation would be to take it in to a custom shop and see what they would charge to do the rake the old fashion way - cut and re-weld.
  • December 2, 2013 6:32 AM PST
    I agree with Lucky. But Why do you want to do that?
    • 3006 posts
    December 2, 2013 7:54 AM PST
    Thats probably her best bet,going with a custom fab shop.
    Locally we have a few custom builders,and are spoiled in that
    respect.Not sure how Louisana stacks up in that dept?
  • December 11, 2013 2:21 AM PST
    thank you......
  • December 11, 2013 3:49 AM PST
    aquadave wrote...
    I agree with Lucky. But Why do you want to do that?

make it easier to steer....