INVISIBLE BIKE HELMET

• November 15, 2013 2:57 AM PST
     Invisible bike helmet? Ok this is strange but real. It's currently only in Euro and only for bicycling. But is it possible to make for motorcyclist? Hmmm...I don't know?

check it out. ... http://vimeo.com/m/43038579 />
  • November 15, 2013 3:17 AM PST
    Here is the video

• 5419 posts
    November 15, 2013 4:32 AM PST
    Well, I give the young ladies a lot of credit for their innovative skills and hope they make their million dollars. But personally I think that is one of the silliest things I have seen. If you are worried about protecting your head, then put vanity and looking cool aside and wear a real helmet. Just my personal opinion :-)
    • 16795 posts
    November 15, 2013 4:57 AM PST
    Silly maybe, scary yes.
    I can see mandatory written on the proverbial wall.
  • November 15, 2013 5:10 AM PST
    Totally agree guys! You would be surprised though how many women really care how they look on a bike. Silly how vanity can be more important then the protection of ones body.
    I do think though that we will be seeing this in USA soon. Maybe in the bike lane through the canyons to Cooks! Lol
  • November 15, 2013 5:19 AM PST
    Appearance shouldn't prevail safety. I use to Rodeo and had some close calls but never took a direct blow to the melon. Don't ride without my head gear.
  • November 15, 2013 8:59 AM PST
    I agree with Rev....the first thing I thought when I saw it was uh-oh.....here we go.... You know the Centers for Disease Control is trying to get a "national" helmet law put in the works....they've got nothing better to do......
    • 2 posts
    November 15, 2013 10:47 AM PST
    Doubt it would do much in a high speed impact where the head not only hits the immovable object, it skids along it.
    BUT
    Am told that a large portion of motorcycle injuries are neck ones. - Something like the "invisible helmet" could be designed to quickly fill the gap between helmet & shoulders and immobilize the neck.

My bicycle helmet has kept me out of the hospital a couple of times but one of the times was when I hit my head on low hanging tree branch. - The "invisible helmet" would not have done squat in that case.
    • 2 posts
    November 15, 2013 6:47 PM PST

• November 15, 2013 11:36 PM PST
    innovative, unique, better than nothing I suppose. Choices, the world is full of them. You live and die by the choices you make. Everyone has their own thing going, wear a helmet, not wear a helmet. It's the riders choice. Wish people would stop telling others what to do. Helmets, like all riding gear have their limits. They won't protect the rider from "everything". In short,   "You pay your money, you take your chances!"  Live free, ride free.
  • November 16, 2013 12:18 AM PST
    Thanks for the video StBobber!
    • 611 posts
    November 16, 2013 5:11 AM PST
    An inflatable helmet? Huh, I suppose it would provide protection at slower speeds, like a bicycle would be subject to.
    For a motorcycle at freeway speeds or a tee-bone/rear-ender at 40 mph? Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick with my hard-shell noggin protector. At one time I had a 'Crash Helmet' display on my garage wall. There were 6 hanging & 4 were mine. They all were mangled, torn, shattered or cracked open and graphically illustrated how important their protection was to a rider's continued survival.
    • 3006 posts
    November 16, 2013 7:59 AM PST
    Good post, I saw an article online last week about it.IMHO ok for those who infrequently ride in general on bicycles certainly not for motorcycle drivers.
    I am not surprised a lot of the injuries are neck related,I know my neck gave me grief a number of times when I turned my head too quick for a look on my side.
    People deserve a choice to wear one or not in my book,as I have seen enough fatal accidents from massive body trauma to know helmets are a last line of defense n a very thin one at that.Better to have an extremely cautious rider w/out a helmet,rather then a sport bike rider with helmet thinkin he is iron man !!!
    On a bad week in the bay area I have seen 5 fatals in the news, during summertime. All were driver related error and massive bodily injuries,one guy got thrown over a railing on a 60 ft overpass.So yeah helmets are wonderfull to a point,a very minimal one.
  • March 5, 2014 9:35 AM PST
    Shit, if it works I may use it. I hate wearing my helmet, but I am a father of young children, a husband and a son so I personally feel like it would be irresponsible of me not to wear one. Of course I want to live as well, what I am saying is I try to look at everything. But if this works and I can ride with this instead of a regular helmet, I probably would!