Road King Front Brake Issue

• 5419 posts
    September 30, 2013 4:08 AM PDT
    This weekend on a couple of rides I experienced a strange problem with my front brake...

The front brake pads are about 25% worn, so they are not new but there is still plenty left.

When I was riding all of the sudden I went to use the front brake and it grabbed at the slightest touch, and grabbed hard! (kind of like a brand new set of brakes).  It did this for about 3 or 4 brakings and then went back to its normal operation where I would have to pull it in a bit and they would grab propotionally to the force on the lever.

Then did the same thing a couple more times where the amount of pull on the lever required would vary drastically.

Now my first instinct is to bleed the system, which I will do today.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there is anything eles I should look at.
  • September 30, 2013 5:02 AM PDT
    I had a similar problem years ago on a Honda I had and even though I bled the system, the problem persist. The fix for me was to change the brake fluid completely as the fluid I had became old and contaminated. Ps. Maybe your a new rider who loves to grab big handfuls of the front brake !!!! LOL
    • 5419 posts
    September 30, 2013 6:59 AM PDT
    Thanks Terry, I'll give that a try!

Actually I am trying to learn how to do a front wheel wheelie on my Road King :-)
    • 844 posts
    September 30, 2013 11:23 AM PDT
    That is what I would recommend too. For the price of a half container of break fluid, flush the system, put all new fluid, bleed em and go. But still be careful in case that does not fix it. Can never be two cautious when it comes to brakes and tires.
    • 19007 posts
    October 2, 2013 12:42 AM PDT
    I too would suggest complete fluid change and possibly cleaning the calipers and master cylinder.
    • 5419 posts
    October 2, 2013 11:22 AM PDT
    Damn I hate when I do stupid things.

Decided to do the brake fluid flush today. I put tubing on both bleed screws running to red solo cups and proceeded to drain the old fluid, flush, clean, refill and bleed the brakes. Being very careful not to make a mess. Well then I got on the bike straightened out the handlebars and knocked over the cup of brake fluid I left sitting next to the tire!

Oh well, little engine degreaser and the floor is only a little slippery there!

Took it for a short ride and brakes felt normal. I'll let you know if it fixed the problem for good.
    • 19007 posts
    October 6, 2013 1:45 AM PDT
    A little late for this but I use a hand vacuum bleeder system. Works great for STANDARD hydraulic systems. Both cars and bikes. NO NO for anti-locks...
    • 5419 posts
    October 6, 2013 3:19 AM PDT
    Never used one. How does it work?
    • 844 posts
    October 9, 2013 6:48 AM PDT
    Lucky, it is a siphon. You connect it to the bleeder valve, open the reservoir lid, open the bleeder and suck the brake fluid and air bubbles through, then close the bleeder. It eliminates having to keep pumping the brake and opening and closing the bleeder to get the air bubbles out.

by the way - did flushing and bleeding fix the problem for good?
    • 5419 posts
    October 25, 2013 6:26 PM PDT
    Well I thought the problem was gone, but it still seems to be doing it, although not as bad. Still while I am riding it is like the amount of pull needed on the brake lever is constantly varying. Strange, becuase there ain't all the much to the brake system?????
    • 19007 posts
    October 27, 2013 4:48 AM PDT
    Is this only one system? Front or back? Sounds like a sticky caliper. Even though you changed the fluid some gunk can possibly remain in the piston. Or the master cylinder can too. Sounds like a caliper/master cyclinder replace/rebuild is in order. As you said not much there.
    • 5419 posts
    October 27, 2013 4:50 AM PDT
    Just the front. Will probably take them off today and see if there is anything up or maybe just dirty.
    • 19007 posts
    October 27, 2013 4:53 AM PDT
    Good Luck, and don't set the fluid near the wheel....HA!
  • October 28, 2013 11:20 AM PDT
    Never mind all the fixes just go out and get you a new 2014 Road King. I love all the changes they made this year! The new clamps for locking down your saddlebags can be opened while going down the road now.
    • 834 posts
    May 6, 2014 5:30 AM PDT
    Hey Lucky, did you ever resolve this problem?

I have a similar issue with my brakes happening now.
    • 5419 posts
    May 6, 2014 12:56 PM PDT
    Yep sure did AZ. Would up doing a caliper rebuild and that fixed it. I got the seal kit only and kept the same pistons so it only cost about $30 with brake fluid!
    • 834 posts
    May 7, 2014 3:35 AM PDT
    Never rebuild calipers before. Is that something that is fairly simple?
    • 5419 posts
    May 7, 2014 5:11 AM PDT
    Actually AZ it is a very easy job and can be done in an hour. If you have a service manual for the bike that is best, if not when you buy the seal kit from Harley it comes with instructions which are basically the pages from the manual.

I recommend taking the calipers apart before you buy the seal kit(s). This way you can inspect the pistons and decide whether you need just the seal kit ($15/caliper) or the full kit that comes with pistons and seals ($50/caliper). However unless your seals and wipers were so severely worn that the pistons got scratched on metal to metal, you probably don't need pistons.
    • 1 posts
    May 9, 2014 2:51 AM PDT
    Az, like Lucky said rebuilding the calipers is a very easy job. One thing to remember is to clean everything real good using brake cleaner (any auto parts store) and use an air gun to blow out all the lines, calipers and master cylinder too. They always have little bits of yuck in them.