wind advice... got any???

• June 28, 2013 3:12 PM PDT
    I have a question,  I was hoping for some helpful advice.     Today I went riding on some errands  some 30 miles away.    While at home, it didnt appear windy,  the trees were hardly moving.  But once on the highway, the wind was making it difficult.   Although the wind is something to be common here in Kansas as it is not calm very much.  So we learn to ride in it or not ride at all.   This wind today was different.   It wasn't very hard or high mph.  But it was a diagonal wind.    I know with normal side wind you lean the bike into it ,   but this was coming across the bike in a way that it was hard to maintain highway speed of 65,   Also  it was causing the bike to wobble and feel wierd above 60.   So I Slowed down to gain control but it still made it difficult to maintain speed.  Which I got stopped  by the way, by the sherriff,... for going too slow,   So here is the question,   if the wind is coming diagonly from the left , front ,...How do you keep control and maintain highway speed?     I mean you cant very well lean from the front tire can you....  Could you exerienced riders help me out????   Please?? 
  • June 28, 2013 3:33 PM PDT
    I don't know that I'm an expert, but you did the right thing in slowing to a speed where you were more in control. I'm interested in what some who have dealt more with this problem have to say. However, if it were me I'd get off the main Hwy and ride back home under those circumstances at whatever speed was safe.
    • 5420 posts
    June 28, 2013 3:35 PM PDT
    Well I to ride in lots of high wind areas going through the desert here in So Cal - especially just outside of Palm Springs where all of the wind mills are and up through the passes.. I have found the best thing to do is to not try to maintain highway speeds. Slow down and ride at a speed where the wind does not effect you that much and if its gusty it won't cause you to swerve at speed. Yes with a steady side wind you can lean into it slightly, but if the wind lets up that could also cause you to swerve hard in the direction you are leaning, so again a slower speed is much safer.

Even the big trucks slow down in heavy winds so probably a real good idea to slow down if you are on a 600 lb bike!!!
    • 844 posts
    June 28, 2013 3:41 PM PDT

Slow Down!!!!!

We have lots of wind here in the open plains of Texas and the way we handle wind is to slow down to a safe speed.  The speed limit is the max speed, if it is not safe to ride at that speed because of rain, wind ice, etc, then DON'T!
    • 19040 posts
    June 28, 2013 11:35 PM PDT
    YEAH! What Lucky & GoFur Said!

SLOW DOWN.
    • 9 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:15 PM PDT
    I used to have to ride 110 miles a day, to and from work. And the winds sucked out loud most days. Trying to pass a RIG, in that wind, even worse. My bike was around 600 lbs dry, and I only weighed 120, so I had a heckuva time, sometimes. Leaning into helps, but brother, in the winds you were talkin' 'bout, I would've had to go home and park it.

Being a die-hard, don't mean you literally have to DIE HARD. Feel me?

Ride Hard, Ride SAFE, RIDE FREE!!!
    Tweek
    • 8 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:52 PM PDT
    Stay safe your instinct always makes the right decision..
    • 3006 posts
    June 30, 2013 6:40 AM PDT
    Keep your speed down.Yet do not travel so slow as to become a target of another vehicle or impede the traffic flow,pull over for a while,wait for a good break in traffic flow then proceed w/caution.

I have rode across many of the bridges in the bay area,thru all sorts of weather,the wind changes and patterns are extremely changable & happen rapidly from one side of the bay to the other.
    One tip is if your caught in a strong crosswind,keep speed down and lean up over the tank and lower your profile n hug the bike more,while maintaining control.Again reducing speed as much as is safe for the conditions..

Always check local weather reports if possible before leaving for any high wind reports,I usually wont ride on super windy or super hot days.
    • 2 posts
    June 30, 2013 1:30 PM PDT
    Take the time to cinch ALL YOUR CLOTHING down. -
    Jacket: Fasten all the closures - Wrists tight - Neck tight - Belt tight - No snaps undone - Zippers up as far as they will go - Repeating, BELT TIGHT - Pockets fastened
    Pants cuffs into the socks
    Go with blurplebuzz and make a smaller profile - Hug the tank
    Try sitting further back to change the weight distribution

And yeh, go with everybody and ride the speed you feel comfortable at
  • July 1, 2013 2:39 AM PDT
    I just wanted to say thanks to everyone. You have given me very good advice. Now I dont feel so bad for slowing down to to a safe speed. however just letting you all know if you go through Ks and your are 15 mph below the speed limit you can recieve a $200 fine. (I didnt get the fine thankfully, but got the warning when I was pulled over) --- Although there is not a minimal limit posted, I am sure if was in a FARM vehicle the officer would not have said anything, but such is life.

I will take your advice , try hugging my tank more, buckliung down and definately going slower. See this is why I love CF, you all are great!!! Thanks again, and you too be safe!
    • 5420 posts
    July 1, 2013 3:12 AM PDT
    Sue, Minimum speed does not apply when conditions do not permit driving at the speed limit.

From the Kansas Statutes...

8-1557: Basic rule governing speed of vehicles. No person shall drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual hazards then existing.    Consistent with the foregoing, every person shall drive at a safe and appropriate speed when approaching and crossing an intersection or railroad grade crossing, when approaching and going around a curve, when approaching a hill crest, when traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway, and when special hazards exist with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.

So if you get pulled over again you can remind the nice officer that you can drive at a speed that you deem safe for the conditions!!!!
    • 1 posts
    July 1, 2013 12:57 PM PDT
    Diagonal wind is a hard one to answer as there is no right or wrong way. Going to Sturgis last year, I experienced some major wind gusts for than 3 hours. It gets down right uncomfortable. cause the wind puishes against the bike making you work. I best way is just to concentrate on what your doing...and keep going. Or pull over and wait it out..but you'll never get anywhere. Its either this or tuck in behind a tractor trailer..and let him shield you. But then thats dangerous.
  • July 2, 2013 1:44 AM PDT
    Talk about being resourseful... Lucky you are awesome. ( i didnt even think about looking it up, ) thanks that is really nice to know. I will remember this for future use.... ;-)
    • 834 posts
    July 18, 2013 12:21 PM PDT
    Well here I am late as usual. Looks like pretty much everyone gave the same answer I would, which is Slow Down to a speed you feel comfortable at based on the current road and weather conditions.

There are some nasty winds out here and sands storms to go with them. I have found myself going 30 on the highway when the winds get real bad.
    • 1 posts
    July 18, 2013 1:53 PM PDT
    The best advice I can give ya is"Do not pee into the wind"
  • August 15, 2013 2:45 PM PDT
    Had my first bad wind experience last weekend on the way to Palm Springs. I wound up riding at 35mph on a freeway with a 70mph speed limit. But I wasn't the only one, the trucks and RVs were going slow too.

Slow is the way to go in the wind. At least for me.
  • August 16, 2013 1:56 AM PDT
    Good advice from all.......even Steven....LOL!
    Your right this is why CF is a great Family

Night Dragon
    • 580 posts
    August 21, 2013 10:15 AM PDT
    Great advice here as usual guys. I got caught out last weekend when high wind hit Ethel broadside riding into a car park n whipped her over! Felt ok riding into the wind but was a different story when I made the turn! Fortunately just a broken indicator n visor. Perhaps I should carry a windsock on my bike so I know where it's blowing - but then again perhaps not or Ethel might think she were a kite lol