getting a bike running right

• 4 posts
    May 24, 2013 2:53 PM PDT
    need input on a stuburn sportster that wont accererate
  • May 25, 2013 12:56 PM PDT
    release the brakes
  • May 25, 2013 2:26 PM PDT
    What is doing or not doing? What was the last repair or maintenance done to the bike?
  • May 25, 2013 6:43 PM PDT
    We need lots more info Yr motor size, does it idle, have you serviced it since 1990 etc.
    • 9 posts
    May 26, 2013 2:30 AM PDT
    Check your intakes, good bet you need some work there...

RIde Free
    Tweek
    • 3006 posts
    May 26, 2013 8:05 AM PDT
    Welcome to the board!!
    IMHO the best one around !!!

Check the fuel system,run check on fuel pump if so equipped,if its been sitting a real long time make sure nothing aint up in the air intakes,and you have replaced all fluids,also checked n tightened all bolts nuts & look over wiring and plugs and replaced any frayed or broken parts.Also make sure all vacuum hoses are tight and placed prperly and any seals at manifold are inspected.

stay safe & enjoy the ride!!!
    • 5419 posts
    May 27, 2013 7:51 AM PDT
    Probably could use a bit more info...

When you say won't accelerate do you mean it just dies, is sluggish or what. In neutral will they engine rev up or does it pop and spit.

Also a little more about the bike... year, engine size, mods (if any), recent work done...

Anything been replaced lately... spark plugs, air filter, etc

Help us help you!
    • 4 posts
    June 22, 2013 9:34 PM PDT
    ty all 4 responce...blasted thing run great in neutral but put it in 1rst it bogs down and shuts off.fluids new and carb is great.
    • 4 posts
    July 3, 2013 2:34 PM PDT
    1rst let me say i`m sorry for being slow on replying....i have a hugger spotster 883 with less than 1000 miles on it. just did all fluids and fuel system including cleaning and putting in a fuel pump and plugs too.it sat for 2 year prior to doing this work...thanks for all the replies and again i`m sorry for being slack on responding back
  • July 5, 2013 8:56 AM PDT
    Check the tension on your drive belts/chain. It will bog down if their over tightened. Did you check the petcock filter in the tank. I always use Sea Foam in my bikes to help them run clean. Try it, it could fix your problem and it is only 8 dollars.
    • 4 posts
    July 12, 2013 12:02 PM PDT
    ty wil check bbsooner
    • 611 posts
    August 13, 2013 2:02 PM PDT
    WELL? Is it running now? What was the problem... or problems?
    Update us, please!
    Edge "Curious" Walker