Finding an Oil Leak on Harley

• 5420 posts
    May 10, 2013 5:16 AM PDT
    I have got a very small oil leak on my 2007 Road King that is driving me crazy.  It only drips a few drops overnight on the garage floor, but it is annoying and I am trying my hardest to find it.

I completely cleaned the motor with spray engin cleaner, warmed it up and let it site for a day... nothing.

I rode it for a day and nothing.  After I ride it a few times the drip is back but by that time the wind and road dirt have coated the entire bottom of the motor and all I can tell is where it is actually dripping down to the ground from, whic of course is the lowest spot when on its kickstand.

Any suggestions on how to track it down???
    • 1 posts
    May 10, 2013 7:10 AM PDT
    Lucky, don't feel bad I get those all the time to work on and I too have a hard time finding such a small leak.

Clean the motor real good again. Ride the bike around a bit, not far enough to get it dirty, but get it really warmed up. Sprinkle some baby powder all over the lower of the motor being especially careful to get it any where there is a seal (don't forget around the oil filter) then lightly blow it off leaving a very fine layer. Be sure to get the bottom of the motor, you can either put the powder in your hand and blow it on the bottom or use a powder puff. You may see the leak immediately as soon as the powder hits any oil.

If not start the bike and just let it idle for a while. You should see the powder darken where it is leaking from. If the bike gets too hot before it shows the leak, ride it around for a short ride to cool it down a bit and park it idling again. You may have to add more powder if it blew off during the ride.

Keep doing this and you should spot the origin of the leak before it spread all over.
    • 5420 posts
    May 11, 2013 3:47 AM PDT
    Thanks bail out. After yo said that I remembered that someone else mentioned that in a post years ago. Guess I could have search before asking. I am going to try that this morning.
  • May 13, 2013 11:02 PM PDT
    Just wondering , but do you change the washer/o-ring on your oil pan cap? I have noticed a few drips here and there coming from mine when I don't change it after a few oil changes.
    • 5420 posts
    May 14, 2013 2:05 AM PDT
    I have had the happen too Terry. But this time it wound up being the clutch cable where it enters the tranny. I removed the cable and added a bit of thread sealant and all is good.