Harley Davidson in 2014

• May 6, 2013 5:07 PM PDT
    Hey, I just read that 4 Harley-Davidson models will be discontinued for 2014. They are the Sportster XR1200X, the Softail Blackline, the Electra Glide Classic FLHTC, the Road King (FLHRC dropped in the US and FLRH abandoned outside the US).

So, discontinuing the RK Classic within USA...has the MoCo gone mad!

Another reason to keep my `05 Roadking Classic.

• 5420 posts
    May 6, 2013 5:46 PM PDT
    Heard the same thing maybe even a couple more models too. But I have also heard that there maybe some new models and additional options to existing models coming to fill the gaps. We will know in a few months!
    • 19040 posts
    May 6, 2013 10:25 PM PDT
    Keepin my carb'd 04 FLHR for sure!!!
    • 2 posts
    May 7, 2013 1:44 PM PDT
    Fred77 wrote...
    Hey, I just read that 4 Harley-Davidson models will be discontinued for 2014. They are the Sportster XR1200X, & some other motorcycles.

So, discontinuing the RK Classic within USA...has the MoCo gone mad!

Another reason to keep my `05 Roadking Classic.

Let me make sure I understand, they are keeping that insult to the flag, the 883 ,and discontinuing the only remaining motorcycle I might like to own?
    Buzz off and die Wandel 

• May 10, 2013 1:21 PM PDT
    I heard that they are getting rid of ALL air cooled engines for the one out of the V-Rod in the next few years too.
    • 2 posts
    May 10, 2013 1:34 PM PDT
    Mykul wrote...
    I heard that they are getting rid of ALL air cooled engines for the one out of the V-Rod in the next few years too.

Coming soon
    Suprised the EPA has gone along w/ air cooled this long.

Think the EPA has put up w/ it because having p'd off the elderly, Medical Doctors, firearms owners, rough necks, Christians,   .   .   .   . the current regime did not want to take on another enemy till have they eliminated the ones they already have.

• 1 posts
    May 10, 2013 3:37 PM PDT
    Its only May 2013...and they are talking about 2014 models already. I hope they all go to water cooled, will make my old 90's models even more popular
    • 2 posts
    May 11, 2013 1:00 PM PDT
    Mykul wrote...

That's not going to happen. The Revolution engine, although a great engine in it's own right, is too radical a change for most HD riders (as proven by their reletivly small market share) and would require major changes to the entire line of motorcycles. HD is not going to change everthing from frame design to wheels on every model. It would not be cost effective and if current sales are any indicator, would dramatcally reduce sales.

A much more likely change would be the introduction of liquid cooled heads for the current Big Twins. Something HD has already patented. Honestly, I thought they would be introduced for this year. I was wrong. I would expect any introduction of the liquid cooled heads to start slowley. Most likely starting with the touring models, where the cooling system can be easier to hide and the customers are more open to the idea of a cooler running engine.

www.youtube.com/watch />
  • May 13, 2013 10:57 PM PDT
    I would estimate that more than half the bikes sold in my area are Road Kings. All my friends who are Latino's ride Road Kings. I'm seriously thinking of going back to the road king from my streetglide. It just don't sound like good business.
    • 846 posts
    May 14, 2013 7:45 AM PDT
    Touching either Road King models would be a big mistake, I see more RK's on the road then most of the other HD touring models. I know the Street Glide is the top touring seller but I don't see as many of them as I do RK's. I guess we'll see in a few months.
    I see no reason to switch from my RK FLPD (police version of a FLHR) except to another RK. If so I'll just keep mine till there's only a oil spot in the garage.