Bluetooth Modular Helmets

• February 28, 2013 10:29 AM PST
    I am looking at buying a Bluetooth Modular Helmet. I don't have a lot of money. I was looking at the Hawk Bluetooth Transition 2 in 1 Flat Black Modular Helmet. The bluetooth is built in. I don't want to buy the helmet and bluetooth and then try to install it together. I know I will just screw it up. I sure could use some input here. Thanks.
  • March 1, 2013 5:46 AM PST
    I've got an HJC Bluetooth ready CL-MAX, but haven't invested in the bluetooth yet... so... not much help... but interested in reading responses.
    • 5420 posts
    March 1, 2013 6:01 AM PST
    I know you said you want it already built into the helmet, but sometimes it is hard to find a helmet you really like with a bluetooth system that works well.  I spent years looking for a helmet that fits exactly the way I like.  So if you do decide to go with a seperate helmet and bluetooth system, I would recommend checking out UCLEAR Helmet Communicator.  It is the best I have found and REALLY easy to install and set up!
  • March 1, 2013 10:08 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    I know you said you want it already built into the helmet, but sometimes it is hard to find a helmet you really like with a bluetooth system that works well.  I spent years looking for a helmet that fits exactly the way I like.  So if you do decide to go with a seperate helmet and bluetooth system, I would recommend checking out UCLEAR Helmet Communicator.  It is the best I have found and REALLY easy to install and set up!

Thanks, I look more into this.

• March 1, 2013 2:37 PM PST
    There are many BT units out there. None of them perfect. One of things you need to consider is why you are buying it - for yourself - maybe your passenger - then it does not matter what brand you buy because not all can or will talk to each other. if you ride in a group and want to talk to everyone - or at least some of them - then you may want to look into a brand they are using. Consider if ti is BT version 2 or BT version 3 - with 3 Battery life will be longer, some of them with V3 will also give you longer distance if you talk to other people. Midland BT next is a version 2 unit but is software upgradeable and with their latest updates you can now talk to at least 2 units from manufacturers other then midland. Range on this unit is better then average as well. If you are looking for a good quality unit check out Sena - good quality comes in both V2 and V3 and now also super slim (but you also need to install and additional battery pack on the helmet). There are several other units out there that are good all running between about $160 a piece for the Sena SMH10 and up to $300 for others. Midland is about $195. i did a lot of research on those units and benefits for myself as well as for a facebook page I post to. Personally I am in favor of Midland because not only can I get a solid unit, but I can also get a Walkie Talkie for it from Midland G8 BT that I can connect to the unit wirelessly and now I have a CB unit with much larger reach (about 5 miles - they post up to 36 on some but that is on a Lake) and can talk to anyone with a CB in range - lots of cruising bikes and Truckers. Any questions just shoot me an email or message happy to help.

Installation - most helmets as long as they have an indent where the speakers go not a problem - mounts come with the units usually screw - clamp type, some stick on. If you want to check them all out check out facebook.com/NIBMWR I placed a whole list there with links and pricing as well. And just to clarify - not sellng those - links are to review sites and manufacturers web site - you pick where you want to buy them. Not related to any Manufacturer or seller, just helping out.

If youa re doing half face you will get a Boom Mic with it - good noise cancellation will be an issue.
  • March 2, 2013 5:34 PM PST
    Was re-reading original post - check out webbikeworld.com there are reviews for many helmets with bt installed on this site, BT units as well. Gives you a good starting point.