Ultra Classic Wobble or Chime walk

• Ike
    February 21, 2013 12:02 AM PST
    I hve a 2007 Ultra that likes to chime walk at times, curves on concrete section hiways and high speeds.  I've seen some add on braces that brace the frame and transmission.  Is that the best fix and if so what manufauture is the best?
    • 19007 posts
    February 21, 2013 12:47 AM PST
    Not certain what you mean by chime walk but the tittle says wobble. Are you speaking of front end or whole bike wobble? And what do you mean by 'high speeds?' A stock Ultra should not do that unless there is something broken, bent, or out of adjustment. I would suggest finding the cause and correcting that. Covering it up with a brace is too much like a bandaid to me.
    • 5419 posts
    February 21, 2013 1:42 AM PST
    I have heard "Chine Walking" used in boating where at high speed the back of the boat jumps from side to side... so I am assuming he is referring to the back of the bike moving from side to side. Been riding Road Kings for years and never felt this, so sorry can't offer any advice on the fix, just the meaning :-)
  • Ike
    February 21, 2013 2:30 AM PST
    Not the front tire, The bike wobbles, It feels like the bike is bending in the middle, it only happens in a curve on a concrete bridge or concrete interstate with expansion joints, or in a curve on smooth road only at speeds over 90 (I know I don't need to run that fast)
    • 5419 posts
    February 21, 2013 2:34 AM PST
    • 16795 posts
    February 21, 2013 11:57 AM PST
    The movement is even worse when an Ultra is connected to a sidecar.
  • February 21, 2013 12:22 PM PST
    yes.. there was a problem with the older Harleys in hard curves... felt like the rear wheel was wobbling, hopping in fast or tight curves, it was actually slight movement in the bushings on the swing arm and not tire hop or wobble... thats the main reason for the new frames that came out for the 09's and later... the brace kit is supposed to help, but I never used one so cant tell ya for sure...
  • April 4, 2013 3:39 PM PDT
    I also had a high speed wobble usually around curves or with a heavy load on the rear. Seeing as my bike is an Ultra classic 08 as my understanding goes its common on that bike. On the 2009 they redesigned the frame. I purchased the progressive linkage system and it cured the wobble. The installation was simple and in this case it connects the frame to the tranny.
  • April 10, 2013 1:18 PM PDT
    I have a 02 ultra and I to have that problem, it feels like it is flexing in the middle. Mine does it while changing lanes at highway speeds.I put the poly urethane bushings in the swing arm and that did not fix it. It does it worse when you do not keep up on your air pressure in the tires, it is something that I have gotten used to and just ride it