Another first bike thread

• January 23, 2013 7:22 AM PST
    So I looked around and I've seen a few threads like this, but I had a specific question. I'm getting my first bike soon. Anyway, I'm a big guy (about 6 feet, 400 pounds), and I've been looking at a few bikes, the smallest of which is a 2000 Yamaha XV650, but the others are an 05 Vulcan 750, and a Shadow 750, which I know is a good starter bike, but I've found a 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400 that's at least $500 cheaper than any of the other bikes, so it's extremely tempting, and I know I probably wouldn't want to upgrade in a year or two. My question is do you think a 1400 would just be insanely too much for me? I'm taking the riding class in a couple weeks, so I'll get some experience on a smaller bike first, but I obviously don't want to get something that I'm gonna wreck in a month. Thanks!
    • 3006 posts
    January 23, 2013 7:33 AM PST
    Good question,yet my first inclination is to ask how much riding experience do you have at all?? even bicycle experience? If your a complete novice with zero saddle time,you should make sure to think over carefully any selection of what style type & size of bike you would feel comfortable on.And that would be only after riding thru the training class/school.If you are not a complete novice and have at least 40+ hrs of saddle time,then most likely you may want to keep shopping around.Most important part of riding your motorcycle is how its fits you.The more bikes you sit on and git a feel for,the more you will recognize what you like or dislike abt any given model.Test ride em if possible !!

stay safe & enjoy the ride
  • January 23, 2013 7:51 AM PST
    Well, I know how to ride a bicycle and everything, but I haven't in years actually (which I know is not helpful), but that's kind of what I was expecting, but I was hoping otherwise, lol. I mean I'll still take it for a test ride because I know every bike is different, but more than likely I'll end up going with something around a 750. Thanks!
  • January 23, 2013 8:06 AM PST
    Stay away from the Intruder, they have lots of electrical issues - do a google on it - some you fix, some just buggy. Usually alternator but not always. Honda usually very reliable if taken care off. XV 650 good bike, decent reviews. Weight difference between the Honda and Yamaha is about 20 Lbs. Vulcan usually has lower ratings overall. Horsepower is about the same between them.
  • January 23, 2013 8:12 AM PST
    And I agree with blurplebuzz, take the class, see how you handle a 250 will give you a good feel how secure you are on it. Visit a bunch of dealers and test sit, see what you are comfortable on.
  • January 23, 2013 9:59 AM PST
    anybody that say's they never layed a bike down eather doesn't ride or is a lier, and new riders are gonna lay it down more then experienced riders... that being said.. I've always thought the best choice for a first bike, is something used, inexpensive, and in the cruiser style... something in the 750-900 cc range... not so big as to be a problem of handling too much power, but still plenty of power to keep up with the big boys if your planing any trips... cruiser style cause you'll be less temped to "show off", ya want a bike to learn on, and get comfortable with, not something just to impress people... that will get ya hurt... and of course the used/inexpensive because ya gonna lay it down at some point, and the scratches won't matter so much...then in a year or so when ya have some miles and experience under yer belt ya can always get that bigger, new bike ya really want...
  • January 23, 2013 10:48 AM PST
    Yeah, that's what I've heard and what I've been working off of. Honestly I've been looking at getting a bike for years now and I'm finally able to do it, so I feel like already I've been part of this for a long time, lol. Thanks a lot guys
    • 19046 posts
    January 24, 2013 12:14 AM PST
     You definitely be a big guy so fit and comfort will be important. 

But what is more important for beginner riders is taking the Rider Safety Course!!!

I often suggest something inexpensive as a first ride. If you have some mechanical skill then it can be easier to find a cheap ride. If not find a good mechanic. This gives you time without a lot of expense to get the feel and be sure that riding is for you. If you become addicted as many of us are then you will have some legitimate riding time to base your next bike on. 

• January 24, 2013 1:39 AM PST
    I would look into the three wheeled cycles out there.