Stay Alive Kids!

• 2 posts
    December 16, 2012 5:04 AM PST
     Too long video but a helpful hint on making yourself visible

• 19046 posts
    December 16, 2012 8:10 AM PST
    Hey I have actually been doing something like that (as probably many of you) for a couple years. AND when I approach a car at an intersection I ASSUME they WILL pull out and plan accordingly. Better to have fingers on the front brake and even slow a bit that to possible pole vault over the car.

Thanks Again Savage, another great post.
  • December 16, 2012 11:19 AM PST
    Wow my instinct to act like a drunk rider to get their attention is now a training video...lol.Going to have to send this to my riding friends that always ask me what the heck I'm doing swerving in busy intersections ! I now have proof I'm not crazy.
    • 5420 posts
    December 16, 2012 1:14 PM PST
    I like it. An oscillating headlight is also a great way to make sure you are seen. Anytime I see a bike with one it is almost impossible not to notice them.
    • 1 posts
    December 16, 2012 5:05 PM PST
    took me 2 minutes to work out what smidsy meant...I had the sound turned down...good video though.
  • December 17, 2012 12:53 AM PST
    I'm interested in the oscillating headlight but does it make it hard to ride at night with? does anyone have this setup?
    • 2685 posts
    December 17, 2012 2:52 AM PST
    In VA a modulating headlight on bikes is allowed but only for daytime use.
    • 5420 posts
    December 17, 2012 3:11 AM PST
    As far as I know Modulating or Oscillating Headlights may only be used in DAYLIGHT in any state.  Every kit I have ever seen comes with a light sensor so it will ONLY modulate in daylight.  Modulating Headlights are legal on motorcycles  in all 50 states via FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4).

See this topic on Motorcycle Modulating Headlights for more info.
    • 5420 posts
    December 17, 2012 3:16 AM PST
    Don't forget SPIDE to also help prevent an accident with SMIDSY.  SPIDE is a simple acronym given in many motorcycle safety training programs.  It is an easy way to remember these steps to a safer ride:

Scan  – constantly scan the road ahead, including the cross streets, approaching traffic, potholes or debris and private drives. All of these could present a potential hazard.

Identify – what that potential hazard may be. 

Predict – what that potential hazard is going to do.  Is it a vehicle that is approaching from a private drive and may cause you to change lanes.  Is it a child with a ball that could come out into the road and cause you to take evasive maneuvers.  You need to predict the what ifs.

Decide - When you predict the potential hazard then decide what maneuver you will take if it happens.

Execute – If the hazard occurs, you can execute your maneuver because you have already identified the hazard, predicted what it would do and decided on the maneuver, the execution is immediate.

• 2 posts
    December 17, 2012 4:57 AM PST
    Jonesy1340 wrote...
    took me 2 minutes to work out what smidsy meant...I had the sound turned down...good video though.

F.Y.I - SMIDSYSorry Mate, I Didn't See You

• 3006 posts
    December 17, 2012 7:38 AM PST
    Great video,thanks for sharing this.This confirms a technique I have used for years taught to me by another rider while out cruising one time.The weaving helps and poppin on the highbeam doesnt hurt either in similiar situations.Tho I suspect the most easy option would be a modulating headlight.I recall one friend I rode with who had the modulator and it worked really well, another toy for my list.yet the best defense is always a good offense,anticipate situations so as to not be making it worse.Most typically just being ready to hit the brakes has saved my skin & have hit the throttle very rarely.
    • 19046 posts
    December 17, 2012 10:54 PM PST
    Modulating headlights will work but I have a problem with just flashing hi-lo beams to get someones attention. Too many other drivers might think it is a signal to go ahead.
    • 844 posts
    December 24, 2012 2:34 AM PST
    Good point Rex!
    • 5420 posts
    December 24, 2012 5:01 AM PST
    Yeah, flashing the high beam normally indicates its okay to go in front of me... especially on the highways.