Ah...the cold, and five reasons why I HATE it.

• 9 posts
    October 30, 2012 11:17 PM PDT

#5.  I'm not a popsicle. 
    #4. I hate clothes. 
    #3. I hate shoes. 
    #2. It don't snow in Florida, it's just windy...and COLD.  

And the number one reason, I hate the cold...
    #1. Not bein' able to ride, til it's much warmer!!!

(yeah, yeah, I get it. I'm too old to be hard-core! lmao) 

Ride Free 
    Tweek

***And...compared to the folks, affected by Hurricane Sandy, I feel BLESSED!

• 19028 posts
    October 30, 2012 11:22 PM PDT
    When I was younger I loved the winter. Some of the best skiing is done in the winter...Now though not so much...much better to be where the riding is good.
  • TNT
    October 31, 2012 3:31 AM PDT
    I agree Tweek.....Winter Sucks!!!!!!!!! Every winter I wonder why I let my husband talk me into moving to KY from FL.....musta been CRAZY!
    • 5420 posts
    October 31, 2012 4:03 AM PDT

• 1855 posts
    October 31, 2012 6:31 AM PDT
    TNT wrote...
    I agree Tweek.....Winter Sucks!!!!!!!!! Every winter I wonder why I let my husband talk me into moving to KY from FL.....musta been CRAZY!

Are you kidding me? Kentucky is without a doubt a much prettier state.  The roads are beautiful and the scenery spectacular.  The winters are pretty darn mild as well.  Florida?  Reminds me of Nam:  too many bugs, too much humidity, and some of the weirdest people I've ever run across (non-bikers of course).  I mean, come on now; Florida over Kentucky? Most folks I know who live in Florida leave Florida in the summer to ride some other state. 

As for winter; I don't mind it all that much, but then again I live in Ohio and not Maine.  But we could have up to 5 months of nasty riding weather here (Nov-Mar).  Still, there are only a few places in the states where you can truly ride all year anyway.
    • 3006 posts
    October 31, 2012 10:51 AM PDT
    ROFLMAO GOOD POST !!!

Hey LUCKY !!! Missing summer here too !!!

wishing yall a Happy Halloween too !!!
    • 5420 posts
    October 31, 2012 11:22 AM PDT
    Yeah, winter around here doesn't mean much more than wearing long sleeves when outdoors and a jacket and possibly chaps when you ride.... and NO bikini bike washes!

I agree with your #2 Tweek... if it don't at least snow so you can enjoy some winter sports, than the cold just sucks!

Pretty much why I like it here. I can ride pretty comfortably all year round, and if I want winter I have ski resorts in the local mountains less than two hours away.
    • 1 posts
    October 31, 2012 11:35 AM PDT
    don't think I'll complain ever again...great riding all year round...only one place nearby that can get black ice..but if its been cold and raining no one goes there..we stick to the coast..
  • October 31, 2012 3:54 PM PDT
    It's starting to feel like winter here in northern Wisconsin. The temperatures are dipping below freezing most nights, and we've already had some snow. I don't look forward to winter the way I used to, but I have to say there's something to be said for a snowy winter's night and a fire in the fireplace. I don't really mind not riding for a few months; it gives me something to look forward to in the spring...
    • 846 posts
    November 1, 2012 5:27 AM PDT
    Well here in the Northeast we're getting to that time of year. You want to know cold try riding in January (once and only once) it now is the gauge I use. My five reason are below.

Why I don't like the cold....

#5 Takes several hour to thawed out after being out side on a ride. The JD part not so bad, for medical purpose only.
    #4 Clothes under the leather jacket is several layers. I start to look like the little kid for Christmas Story.
    #3 Cages stop looking for bikes on the road. Like they ever did.
    #2 My knee locks up and I can't get off my bike.

#1 It's just plain to cold to do anything outside never mind riding.

I starting to think of relocating to a warmer part of the country. This cold thing is getting old or maybe I am.
  • November 1, 2012 4:02 PM PDT
    Tweek, I'm in total agreement. I'm not lazy, I could watch those girls do bikini bike washes in Lucky's post all day long :-)
    • 9 posts
    November 2, 2012 2:31 AM PDT
    Well I'm all for the "eye-candy", but really (ladies), how often do ya see some buff guys in cut-off's, washin' bikes???
    Saw it once, several years ago, and thank God, the memory is still in tact...SO FAR! lmao

As for cold ridin'? A few years back, we rode to Lake James, in Indiana, from Ohio. About a two hour ride, give or take. But it was in the mid-forties, the day we headed out, and then the rain started. And then the freezing rain came...Omgosh. Treacherous ridin' to be sure, but the cold...man! By the time we hit the campgrounds, I had this sharp pain between my shoulder blades, from the shivering grip I had on the bike. It took me two hours, a bottle of Kahlua and a pot of coffee, to unfurl from that experience. Never to be repeated. The hangover sucked, too...lol

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 1855 posts
    November 2, 2012 3:15 AM PDT
    Tweek wrote...
    Well I'm all for the "eye-candy", but really (ladies), how often do ya see some buff guys in cut-off's, washin' bikes???
    Saw it once, several years ago, and thank God, the memory is still in tact...SO FAR! lmao

As for cold ridin'? A few years back, we rode to Lake James, in Indiana, from Ohio. About a two hour ride, give or take. But it was in the mid-forties, the day we headed out, and then the rain started. And then the freezing rain came...Omgosh. Treacherous ridin' to be sure, but the cold...man! By the time we hit the campgrounds, I had this sharp pain between my shoulder blades, from the shivering grip I had on the bike. It took me two hours, a bottle of Kahlua and a pot of coffee, to unfurl from that experience. Never to be repeated. The hangover sucked, too...lol

Ride Free
    Tweek

Wasn't that grand Tweek?    Rode from D.C. back to Ohio one year in Sept and experienced much the same thing;  rain turned to sleet and then to snow.  When I got home I couldn't even undress myself.  I just stood there in the middle of the living room in front of the wood burner shivering and let the OL strip me down.  Of course, I experienced much the same in the Florida Panhandle a couple of years back.  We were riding back from Key West, heading into Alabama.  Cold, rain, and sleet hit us about 60 miles or so east of Pensicola.  It was Gypsy's first long ride so she got broke in real good.    Me?  I'd had enough of this in all my years and decided to stop for the night.  Next day was gorgeous. 

Peace
    • 16819 posts
    November 2, 2012 5:55 AM PDT
    I've lived in the snow belt getting pounded by "lake effect" snow for all but 5 years of my life.
    I enjoyed Winter activities, until I got hired by PaDOT, that was that for fun, 20 plus years on call 24/7.
    The pay and benefits were good until the day I got hurt, Now I have all the time I need, but not the money nor health.
    Funny how things work.
  • November 2, 2012 11:12 AM PDT
    Concur, bring summer back!!!
  • November 4, 2012 3:48 AM PST
    I agree with Tweek on all points except not liking shoes, feet are too bad to go without them! Here in Minnesota we are getting frost everynight and mid 40's for highs. Was riding then one day it set in. Now done for a number of months. Brings a tear to me eye seeing the bike in the corner covered up!
    • 2 posts
    November 4, 2012 7:43 AM PST
    Born in Buffalo, grandparents lived NORTH of Winnipeg, attended MTU in the Upper Peninsula - Cold & I are old friends but damn I hate WET AND Cold. - Like right this minute. - Nothing keeps you warm when it is wet out (tho will praise my Irish Setter boots, feet were the only warm place on my anatomy today).
    When It is dry comfortable enough riding wearing my triple closing, slider jacket over insulated coveralls + a half dozen other gimmicks.