Need advice on gearing - H-D Softail

• 79 posts
    October 26, 2012 9:02 AM PDT
    I have a 91 softai with a 71 tooth spocket.I'm riding to sturgis next year and want to gear up.i'm to cheap to spend 3000 dollars on a 6 speed. So just wondered if dropping 3 teeth would kill me coming out of the hole with 2 people weighing 350 combined.Any thoughts would be helpfull
  • October 26, 2012 10:40 AM PDT
    2 teeth makes a noticeable difference on my chopper... 3 teeth,, and riding 2 up.... I'd say yes... big difference
    • 79 posts
    October 26, 2012 11:49 AM PDT
    Thanks smoke i will just deal with the extra rpm running 80 mph for hours on end. Don't want to struggle taking off in first.
    • 1 posts
    October 26, 2012 11:52 AM PDT
    Remember 3 teeth doesn't sound like much, but it is about 5% decrease in size on a 71 tooth. If you are going to be riding 2 up and probably some gear I think you are going to notice a lag off the line.

Do you mind if I ask why you want to change it? If it is gas mileage that makes sense, but if it is because you think the motor will be running too hard, I wouldn't worry about it. Harleys ran for years sounding like they always needed one more gear on the open road, but they are made that way and it's no problem on the motor. I think you would put more strain on the motor at low speed with the 68 tooth then you are at top end with the 71.

I know you don't want to spend $3 grand.  Here is an option at right around $1 Grand... http://www.jpcycles.com/product/620-242.. The Rev Tech tranny is a great bargain for a qualitly product.  It's not a Baker, but your not running it on a race motor either.

• 79 posts
    October 26, 2012 11:59 AM PDT
    Thanks bailout,it's the rpm i was worried about. I have had my bike over 100 several times but never run over 70 for very long.The first day is going to be a 700 miles day so going to be running 75 to 80 all day long.