Road King Saddle Bag Lid Hinge

• 5420 posts
    October 25, 2012 5:56 AM PDT
    The hinge has come off my saddle bag - at the lid itself not the bag

Does anyone know how this hinge is attached.  There are holes in the hinge and in the lid, but no sign of screws (or any fastener) ever being in those holes.  Besides when the hinge is close (which it was when it came off, it presses flat against that are and the fasteners could not have fallen out - they would have fallen when I opened it.

It appears there is adhesive residue on the lid, so I am thinking it was probably glued.  But that would have to be one strong adhesive to stand up to the use of the lid.

Any input is appreciated.

Picture below....
    • 1 posts
    October 25, 2012 11:32 AM PDT
    Lucky,  that is held on with screws.  The square holes in the lid are pass thru holes, thats why not threaded.  I'm sure you lost the screws one at a time until the last one when the hinge finally came off.

See the parts view for the lid it attached.

There is a threaded backing plate (#22 on the picture) that slips between the rubber seal and the lid for the screws to thread in to.  If it is not still there I'm sorry to say it fell out and you'll have to get a new one.  The screws are very short so they just barely go thru the plate and not in to the seal.  I think they are 3/8" 6x32 screws (#5 in the picture).  I don't recommend using nuts in place of the bar because nuts may be a little fat and push the seal out making the bag not close correctly.

You want to use LocTite on the screws.  I recommend taking the screws out on the other bag and adding LocTite too.  Since those screws only barely go into the bar they only need to back out a couple turns before they fall out.
    • 5420 posts
    October 25, 2012 1:00 PM PDT
    Thanks Bailout. I see that now. I actually found the backing bar, it had fallen but wedged behind the latch.

I felt a little stupid riding in the Love Ride with electrical tape wrapped around the bag to hold it closed. It fell apart right when I got to the beginning of the Love Ride and for the first time ever I didn't have bungy cords with me
    • 19043 posts
    October 25, 2012 11:38 PM PDT
    Ya shoulda used duct tape!!! HA!!!
    • 5420 posts
    October 26, 2012 2:57 AM PDT
    I already felt dumb enough since I was invited in the VIP group and was riding with Jay Leno, a few of the SOA cast and other celebs... and here I am rushing to wrap tape around my saddle bags as we got ready to leave.