New versus used which do you prefer?

• 40 posts
    September 13, 2012 2:28 AM PDT
    I have had several discussions with some of my friends especially when they looking to buy a bike, some will advice them to get a new bike less hassle and you know it will be reliable from the get go. I'm partial( first bike was a 1971 350cc  Honda CB, then a  2005 Honda Shadow spirit 750cc Suzuki C50 T  now I ride a  2009 Yamaha 950 Tourer) to getting a good used bike , costs less, have all the accessories already on them, etc. Any opinions out there that I can share with my friends ( the buy new bunch).
    • 58 posts
    September 13, 2012 2:40 AM PDT
    I have never had a new off the showroom floor bike and only 1 new car. Both have advantages and disadvantages. My advise: Do what you prefer and can afford.
    • 16837 posts
    September 13, 2012 3:14 AM PDT
    I've had one new Harley, all the rest were used.
    I love building and rebuilding them, but I'll admit it was nice not worrying bike-wise on mt last cross-country trip with a warranty even though nothing broke.
  • September 13, 2012 3:16 AM PDT
    I prefer pretty much everything with a few miles on it. My bikes, my leathers, my truck, I go with loved and worn in every time.
    • 846 posts
    September 13, 2012 3:43 AM PDT
    If its the first bike then go for a used one. There is tons of low mileage bikes out there at good prices. The plus side is when your new to riding and you drop it you will not feel as bad as dropping a new bike. Another plus is they get a handle on what they like and don't like on a bike and can in time look for a new one with that fits them better.
    Since Harley's are a big ticket item when I narrow it down to one model I rented it for a few days and rode the wheels off it. It fit my needs and had no problem bunking down the cash for it when it came time. So for someone that ridden for a while it more what fits there style of riding and cash. Now is a time when there are plenty of good used bikes out there.
  • September 13, 2012 4:16 AM PDT
    rpalacios wrote...
    I have had several discussions with some of my friends especially when they looking to buy a bike, some will advice them to get a new bike less hassle and you know it will be reliable from the get go. I'm partial( first bike was a 1971 350cc  Honda CB, then a  2005 Honda Shadow spirit 750cc Suzuki C50 T  now I ride a  2009 Yamaha 950 Tourer) to getting a good used bike , costs less, have all the accessories already on them, etc. Any opinions out there that I can share with my friends ( the buy new bunch).

Man thos CB350s were some sweet bikes!
    Here is one I was building but sold it to my nephew before I finished it.  He trashed it last year... 
    • 1855 posts
    September 13, 2012 5:06 AM PDT
    I wouldn't know what to tell anyone. I've had new and used bikes. My '98 FXDWG I purchased with 1250 miles on it back in 2004. After an additional 50k miles, I still love it. During that time I've had new bikes as well. Having more than one bike at a time is a blessing to say the least. With all the miles we travel every year, going from one bike to another cuts down on the wear and tear. But ya know, none of 'em can take the place of the '98. Then again, I feel like that about the old shovelhead too.

If it came down to it and I had to tell someone what I think they should do, I'd probably say, "Why take on problems you may not know about? If ya can afford it go for a new bike."

Peace
  • September 13, 2012 5:27 AM PDT
    all my bikes have been used up till the last 3.. (2 showroom, 1 custom built by me) what ya can afford is the big factor, and I'd rather have 2 wheels then none... but if ya can buy new... your buying what you want, and setting it up with extras that you want and fit you... when ya buy used, your buying what someone else wanted
    • 1 posts
    September 13, 2012 5:33 AM PDT
    A brand new bike is definitely a great feeling, but there is nothing wrong with buying a used bike. You can pretty much tell right off if the bike was well taken care of. But you still need to be careful that the owner is not selling it because problems are starting to occur. I would recommend to find a good local independent shop to look over any bike before you buy. Even a bike that looks and rides good to the average rider can still have little things that a good mechanic would catch.

Good luck with whichever you go with
  • September 13, 2012 6:06 AM PDT
    Just got done fixing a Suzuki Savage for a guy that just got it(used). The bike was bleeding oil like you wouldnt believe. After I took the cylinder head off I saw that someone had stripped the threads from the cylinder, installed heli coils(the wrong ones) and teflon to patch it up... Im almost certain this was done right prior to selling it.... Lucky for him I dont charge shop rates and enjoy helping people out.

Im sure this is an extreme case though. Ive always been lucky with used bikes. Just make sure you do a good inspection on something used. Good luck!
    • 3006 posts
    September 13, 2012 9:41 AM PDT
    Lots of good advice already,in my own experience its usually dictated by my pocket book.If I can afford new I will,if not then used is also good.The best way for purchasing used,test rides & talking to prior owner abt the bike history
    if they seem disinterested in being upfront abt why they are selling or history part,or just plain unfriendly,. I move onto the next person trying to sell,and beware of any online scam listings for sale.
  • September 13, 2012 11:29 AM PDT
    If it is their first ever bike, I'd say go with a used low mileage bike.If they have money to burn and trade autos like shoes, I'd also tell them to go with a used bike with low miles instead of taking the depreciation everytime they get a whim for a new ride.I'm conservative when it comes to spending, both bikes were bought with less than 2000 miles and less than three years old.No mechanical issues with either one, had all fluids changed and bikes throughly gone over before hitting the road.No regrets with used bikes here.
  • September 13, 2012 4:03 PM PDT
    I've had new and used, both are great. I know this might sound odd but if I was to win the lottery or come into a bunch of money, I would buy nothing but old classic harleys and Indians. Bikes from the mid thirties to the late fifties.
    • 79 posts
    September 13, 2012 4:29 PM PDT
    I am an evo man so any bike i buy will be a 98 back to 84 but thats what i like.You have to decide what you like