Need some feed back from the Family

• 1780 posts
    September 7, 2012 5:34 PM PDT
     Been thinking about installing a set of Sampson Extreme Bone Shaker exhaust on the Skull Bike. In drag racing circles these are called "Zoomies".
    Has any one ever had a set on there scoot, and if so what was the Pro's and Con's of this exhaust system? For those who have not seen them...They basically just come out of each Cylinder go straight down and bend back up about 2.5 inches at about the frame area. Straights without baffles I believe.

Night Dragon

• September 8, 2012 10:29 AM PDT

Best I would say is "You aint gonna know if Ya dont give it a go..."

I put drag pipes on mine, as soon as I took it from 1340cc to 1402, never even needed extra tuning...lol..engine was nicely balanced before for a 1402 mod...pipes are good and loud, sets off all the cage alarms as I crank it past...lol...

Neighbours love me.....muahahahahaaa!!!

• September 8, 2012 10:31 AM PDT
    Really? ..... over 50 people read this enquiry by our good friend here..... and No-One commented?
    • 2 posts
    September 8, 2012 12:19 PM PDT
    If you ain't on a dyno - or - ain't at the track with a stop watch leave things well enough alone.
    Loud does not automatically = HP
    Short does not automatically minimize restriction
    Do you have access to the technology to re-map your system?
  • September 8, 2012 12:33 PM PDT
    i put Rush 2.5s on my bagger,ended up using the screaming eagle street performance tuner helps the engine run cooler.
    • 1780 posts
    September 8, 2012 4:28 PM PDT
    Jet dude thanks for the comments....hadn't made up my mind just yet
    • 9 posts
    September 8, 2012 9:41 PM PDT
    Hope ya like 'em new. Cause it won't be long before they "blue". And you ought know, them pipes put out some real heat. OUCH! I'm with Savage, Dragon. I think you should leave well enough alone. I've heard from some, that the short pipes, mess with the compression ratio, and then the "tweeking" starts...
    If you are using this as your main mode of transport and not just a weekend thing, I wouldn't do it.

Pretty is, ain't always pretty does...

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 1516 posts
    September 9, 2012 5:42 AM PDT
    Jetman wrote...
    Really? ..... over 50 people read this enquiry by our good friend here..... and No-One commented?

I was one of them.. I had no idea what to say about it.. But I had to check to make sure all was well with Dragon!!

• September 9, 2012 9:18 AM PDT
    short unbaffled pipes are generally for drag bikes only.. real danger of cold air backing up the pipe when ya shut down and warping your exhaust valves...
  • September 9, 2012 4:32 PM PDT
    I don't have much experience with twins, but I'm guessing you may need to increase air flow with a K&N air filter, and install a fueling map gizmo (what are those called these days for fuel injection?) to keep it from going lean and losing power.
    • 2 posts
    September 10, 2012 12:44 AM PDT
    Now that everybody is commenting freely - In general, straight pipes are effective only over a very narrow band.
    My Sr. year has a dream job. - got to set up a dynamometer in the automotive test lab and of course played with tuned, intakes (hard to design/make) & exhausts (easy). - Typically the effects could only be seen over a couple of hundred RPM
  • September 10, 2012 12:45 AM PDT
    Samson makes a great exhaust. If they are not baffled I would suggest using torque cones at least. If your bike is carbed I would rejet it, if its FI then get a tuner. I use the Daytona Twin Tech on my 01 Softail and it works great. Keep it from running to lean or else they will turn golden bluish.. Also using a anti bluing inside the pipe before installing them helps a bunch too.
  • September 10, 2012 7:48 AM PDT
    DebraJo wrote...
    Jetman wrote...

I was one of them.. I had no idea what to say about it.. But I had to check to make sure all was well with Dragon!!

Right Back Atcha Sweetheart...lol...got the comments coming in though eh?

Hey, Everyone, Go take a look at my Harleys pipes, lovely and blue at the top, to me it shows that its a bike that is ridden-and ridden hard!!! I did the mods way back in '99 and hey guess what, it still runs with those blue pipes...Polished Chrome dont make a bike run...sure, looks pretty, shows that the bike is polished all the time but...it dont make it run any better, and blue pipes dont make it run any slower...lol...

Am I lucky? Sure, I guess I am...
    Am I the guy with nice shiny chrome? Hell No!!!
    Its a bike, I ride it, it gets abused and is used.....

But how many of you are still riding on the factory fitted belts?
    How many of you still have the original factory fitted battery?

Neccesary maintenance done virtually every week, everything checked...
    Toothbrush used on drive belt every time I get it wet and dirty-aint no grit going to wear it out though...
  • September 10, 2012 8:28 AM PDT
    If you take off the heatshield off most of our pipes you will see that they are discolored. Some more than others. HDs come from the factory somewhat lean to pass emissons test allready so if you just throw on some aftermarket pipes they will change color on you and they will do it quick. I believe that even most FI controllers give you maps or settings that keep them a little lean. Then you can do your fine tuning afterwards if you like. But doesnt hurt to put some blue shield on the inside of them prior to installation. They might still change but not as bad.
    • 1780 posts
    September 10, 2012 10:47 AM PDT
    WOW Looks like I stured up one, and I'm glad this is a site where everyone can express there own opinion and walk away friends.
    Well I appreciate everyone's input and all reply's are being reviewed. I can say my initial thoughts are with the camp of ...Leave well enought alone.
    Thanks everyone
    Dragon
  • September 11, 2012 10:01 AM PDT
    I'm a big fan of the shorter pipes. Have you checked out the pipes that Paul Yaffee is putting out? I'm thinking about a set for my streetglide.
    • 2 posts
    September 11, 2012 10:28 AM PDT
    Telling someone that drag pipes are not for the street is like telling them that their baby is ugly. That being said. Drag pipes are called drag pipes for a reason. They move the power band to the high end giving great acceleration and power at WOT but robbing power in the mid band. Being that most street riding is done at the mid power band, you are robbing the bike of horses where they are most used to gain them where they are infrequently used.

But, to each his own.
    • 1780 posts
    September 12, 2012 9:44 AM PDT
    I want to thank everyone that had an input in this subject.I find it amazing the amout of knowledge that the Family has in just about every area of motorcycles. Manyou guys are the TOPS!!!!!
    My status has change and I now have my Dragon bike back again!!!!! See another post on the subject
    Night Dragon
  • September 19, 2012 2:57 PM PDT
    I think the whole subject sucks! lol
  • September 19, 2012 2:57 PM PDT
    No..he does not have the dragon back! lol
    • 1780 posts
    September 20, 2012 2:46 PM PDT
    Once again I stand corrected..............
  • September 20, 2012 4:19 PM PDT
    I run vance and hines double barrel pipes on mine, 2 reasons i got them. first is they stop just before the axle bolt so i can change a tire on the road without having to strip the exhause off. second they sound and perform great.

I run a 04 fatty with fuel inj mod and gear drive. tuned as is it runs great, and when I get around to puting bigger jugs on it will be no problem to tune. The pipes run a wide range of engine specs and V and H stand behind their product.