Question from central MS

• September 4, 2012 12:52 PM PDT
     Hello, all! I am a new biker and quickly coming addicted to riding. So far, I'm just riding with my husband, but I don't think it will be long before I have my own bike. My first question, to everyone, is what bike would you recommend for a woman just learning to ride? I'm not sure how much it matters, but I can drive a stick shift, and I used to spend quite a bit of time driving a four-wheel ATV. I have been told that might make it easier to learn how to manage certain bikes? Really, I have no idea where to even start.

Next question: I am trying to plan a ride for the husband and me for the first part of November. So far, the longest we've ridden is about half a day, and only in our general area. This time, we'd like to try an overnight trip, but we have no experienced rider friends, and no idea where to start even planning. Anybody out there, maybe from MS, that could recommend a good place to visit, or a nice route? We would be starting near Jackson, and will probably have two days, possibly three.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you can offer!
    • 44 posts
    September 4, 2012 1:58 PM PDT
    Hello from Mid Tenneessee My Wife rides her own 2009 883low Harley VeryVery well balanced Bike lots of ajustabilty it has plenty of power she has no problem with keeping up with the big boys we ride 986 miles in 4 days and most was on the interstate. We rode the Dragon and she was right there with us.

As far as a ride The Trace in nice
    • 19046 posts
    September 4, 2012 11:10 PM PDT
    First...Welcome from the 'at large' member to the Best Damn Biker Site on this here web thing.

What bike? There are MANY. Just be sure it fits. You should be able to have both feet FLAT on the ground when seated. AND TAKE the Motorcycle riders course.

Good rides, agreeing with speedyre, the trace is nice. Rode it from Natchez to Jackson last spring. Also I spent a lot of time in Hattiesburg last spring. Nice area. Maybe consider a triangle of Jackson, Natchez, and Hattiesburg. If camping, and peace and quiet is desired I recommend Paul B. Johnson Park near Hattiesburg.
  • September 5, 2012 1:10 AM PDT
    Thanks Speedyre and Rex. I was thinking about the Trace. The problem I keep thinking of is how to decide which bike when I can't even drive one yet? And how to learn without a bike? Lol
    • 658 posts
    September 5, 2012 2:23 AM PDT
    Hi Lorie and welcome to the bset site on the web. As far as the bike for you, as Mike said make sure you can put both feet on the ground when you're sitting on the seat. Start looking at bikes and you will find "the one" that fits ya. Good Luck and have fun!!!!!!
    • 5420 posts
    September 5, 2012 2:43 AM PDT
    Hi Lori and Welcome to the site!!!

Well you have a few things going for you. You love being on a motorcycle, so its not like your doing it just because, and driving a stick does help because you know the basics of what a clutch does so you won't be so focused on that, that you can't pay attention to your riding. And like Mike (RexTheRoadDog) said TAKE A RIDING COURSE) and after you do that and have been riding for a bit - take an advanced course.

As for the bike, I will repeat what everyone else said... find a bike that fits you! There is no "ladies" bike out there. The bike you choose should be based on your size. You need to be stable on the bike and comfortable to ride safely. There are plenty of them out there to choose from. Not sure if you are going to buy new or used, but I recommend taking a day to visit all the dealers for the different manufacturers so you can sit on all the models and find what is comfortable for you, then if you are going to buy a used bike you will save time by only looking at those you know fit.

Enjoy the ride and be sure to let us know when you get your bike!!!
    • 16837 posts
    September 5, 2012 5:21 AM PDT
    Hello from the sunny Pennsylvania shores of Lake Erie.
  • September 5, 2012 2:04 PM PDT
    Hello, everyone, and thanks so much for all the advice!
    • 44 posts
    September 5, 2012 2:17 PM PDT
    I agree with And lucky fit is very important and take the rides course! Check out Souther Thunder Harley in South Haven it worth the ride
    • 2 posts
    September 5, 2012 2:44 PM PDT
    South Central NY here

+1 on the MSF training.
    Check the fit? Yup definitely.
    Don't worry too much about the right 1st ride. Go with what you can easily afford.
    - Your opinion will change
    - Nothing wrong w/ a small scoot, have done more than a few 1000 mi, multi day, rides, with camping gear on scooters < 600cc
  • September 7, 2012 10:26 PM PDT
    Welcome to CF, and this is a very good group of folks. I am from Mississippi myself so keep your eyes open for my yellow lady,my bike, (I'm a guy lol) cruising the roads. Check out the Trace for a nice easy first trip. Easy roads, lots to see, and places to stay along the way. I remember our first trip on the Trace back in the 70's. Ease into the trip thing and you will enjoy it. Learn what to take and what to leave behind.
  • September 8, 2012 1:29 AM PDT
    Have to agree-the fit is very,very important, as a woman rider I can tell just by sitting on a bike if I'm gonna be comfortable or not. Seat-Handlebars-foorpegs all have to fit right to really enjoy riding and not having to fight the bike. Yes, you can custom, but that is gonna cost you. Buy a used bike and then after you get the hang of it you can always get your dream bike.

So glad to hear of another woman wanting to ride her own-stick with it the, the view and feeling are something that gets in your blood!
  • September 8, 2012 2:32 AM PDT
    Welcome to the forum from Florida.
    Looking for a place to ride, why not to the whole Natchez Trace Trail from start to finish? its right there in your home state, and along the way there are many interest sites to see.
    As for riding Take an MSF course. Then sit on as many bikes as you like. Me I believe 650's to 750s are great starter bikes. They have enough power and umps to take you everywhere ya want to go. Most imports are user friendly, lighter in weight, and less costly, as new or used, for any repairs or basic maintance. Also when selecting a bike think about the kind of riding you will be doing, because that can matter too. I say stay with the first bike and accomplish everything from gravel to sand to wet grass, and rain, twisty roads before ya go looking for a new ride. Every decision you make in the beging can and will help you be either a proficitent rider, or a proficent whiner, but one thing is for sure whenever you do get on that bike understand this there is a greater chance it maybe your last time. So, take things slow, but not too slow motorcycling isn't for everyone and everyone isn't for motorcycling. Most of all have fun! Have a great Day!
  • September 8, 2012 9:59 AM PDT

Heres something that NO-ONE EVER seems to cover.....

Whatever bike you 'Think' You might like to get just take a minute to find out what kind of weight you can hold up.....

With BOTH FEET on the floor when sitting on "The Bike", ... With the engine OFF select ANY gear, once the bike is in gear you have no need to worry about the Clutch, or the Brakes, so its just you and "The Bike"...

1...  Can you lean the bike over to approx 40 degrees to either side and return it to the upright position or point of ballance?

2...  DONT be taken in by getting Harley Boots, 99% of Harley boots are FASHION ACCESSORIES...DONT wear them for learning to ride...Go to anywhere BUT a Harley dealership to find a pair of boots that have soft gel soles and adequate ankle support, I will bet you will find suitable boots to learn in from some cheap place like Wal-Mart or some similar store...SOFT GEL SOLES will stop you dropping the bike when your feet are on the floor, GOOD ANKLE SUPPORT will stop you from giving way sideways and dropping the bike.....These points are ESSENTIAL!!! Please dont ignore them!!!

I have heard "Statements" and "Criticisms" over the way I speak, but those who already know who I am and know that I dont pull punches when talking about one of my favourite subjects...

Over in USA you obviously have no laws regarding what size machine you can have as a first bike, thats ok but...We have a much higher survival rate per head of population here in UK because we have a law that states that maximum size of bike for a new rider who is older than 17 is a 125cc machine of any type...after passing a required short test (CBT - look it up online) you would be allowed on the road as a learner, there is NO AUTOMATIC RIGHT to ride here in UK, you go through stages of learning, small machine for a 1 year period minimum...then as you go for the main test this consists of 3 parts, perception test, written test and then the practical test...You have to know EVERYTHING, that is covered by the UK's Highway Code structured booklet...

In 2013 there are new laws coming in...any learner at 16 can have a 50cc machine, 17 its up to 125cc, after passing the requisite tests they are then limited to a 33hp machine for minimum 2 years...Then you have the next set of tests...We Take Motorcycle Survival here in UK to EXTREMES...Only STUPID PEOPLE IGNORE SAFETY ISSUES!!!  ( I am frequently one of the stupids when we go on a run...)

I guess what I am saying here is.....

Get A Bike That Is Small, Manouverable And Agile...
    Wear Clothing Suitable For The Job...
    Wear Boots that are Suitable for Riding in...
    Forget the Fashion Accessory Boots...
    Wear the fashion crap once you have got where you are going...

"Look at me in my all fashion leathers, riding my fashionable motorcycle"
    (Look at my hospital bills because my leathers rucked up and ripped, my skin, my muscles, my broken bones...)

"look at me in my quality leathers, riding a bike suitable to what weight I can comfortably hold up"
    (In the event of an "OFF" with Buffalo Hide Leathers you will get maybe a rope burn and bruising depending what you have underneath them, hospital bill = "0")

ALL You 'experienced Riders', tell me what I say is wrong...

ALL those who have criticised my outspoken ways, my larger text, my blue text, and VARIOUS other criticisms I have heard about tell me that I am wrong in what I have said on this message...

I am Jetman, or usually called "Slick" by my Friends and Bro's/Sis's, given name of Roger (never gets used), and know this...

"I Speak My Mind Because It Hurts When I Bite My Lip..."

• September 8, 2012 12:14 PM PDT
    Thank you all for the excellent advice! We have decided on the Trace and are working on figuring out how long we can be away and which direction we want to go first. I can't wait! I'm still looking and checking out different bikes, and I have the info I need to sign up for a safety course.
    Jetman, no complaints about your way of communicating! I prefer someone who doesn't "beat around the bush." Sounds like we here in the states might could use some additional training requirements. Seems like I've been hearing about lots of accidents involving bikers lately. There's a lot of push toward watching for motorcycles, and that's a great thing, but maybe some additional training for bikers would be beneficial as well.
  • September 8, 2012 1:49 PM PDT
    Ditto to Tumbles & Jetman regarding bikes and gear.The bikes in the 650 to 750 cc range are good bikes that have everything you need for learning,take your time finding a bike maybe even wait until after your MSF course.My bike stayed parked until I had my learners permit for practice with supervision of endorsed rider.That fashion gear Jetman man was talking about, he was not stretching the truth.I wouldn't even go to look at bikes without wearing my boots for proper footing grip.Take your time and don't be rushed to buy what everybody thinks is the perfect bike.....they won't be riding or paying for the bike.
    • 3006 posts
    September 8, 2012 4:40 PM PDT
    Howdy from San Francisco
    The best way I think to start IMHO is go small then work ur way up. Try riding offroad also,thats a good place to practice a feel for the dynamics of handling a motorcycle.You may already know some folks who could loan you a small bike under 175cc to give ya a feel for riding a motorcycle. Once ya start to riding tho,prepare to become hooked on it.
    Lots of good advice already offered & I hope your trip goes off well,nothin funner then a quik outta town road trip on a scooter to clear the cobwebs out.