A Fix'er Up'er :-)

• 7 posts
    August 28, 2012 12:53 AM PDT
    Oh yea!! I'll have her running in no time ;-)

• August 28, 2012 12:55 AM PDT
    sure will, just change the oil, find a handle bar, and use a little CLR and she be as good as new! what a great find! "T"
    • 846 posts
    August 28, 2012 5:04 AM PDT
    That's what I call a bike with potential.
  • August 28, 2012 7:31 AM PDT
    tire looks good
  • August 28, 2012 9:23 AM PDT
    Ummm, I hate to say this but.....we have taken a whole lot worse and had it back on the street within a couple of months...never back to concourse but hey, we rat them!!! Matt black (flat black?) with either a hand print in bright colour or just Matt Black...its all good...

Yeah I know...its that blo*ody Limey again chiming in and talking too much as usual, sheeeeesh!!!
    • 611 posts
    August 28, 2012 9:52 AM PDT
    Nah Jetman... it's all good...
    As for the 'bike' in question... would make a real interesting conversation piece. Maybe lean it up against yer front gate... seems kinda heavy for an anchor. Were you 'fishin' when you found this one? hahahaaaa!
    • 580 posts
    August 28, 2012 10:03 AM PDT
    Looks a bit like Ethel did when we got caught in the floods t'other week lol (o:
    • 7 posts
    August 28, 2012 12:44 PM PDT
    On second thought... I'll pass on this one.

I'll work the "nearly running" bikes I already own. They're in a little bit better shape
  • August 29, 2012 2:34 AM PDT

Am still trying to work out WHAT bike it is...it has a support strut on the rear mudguard which would suggest its a 1950's, and a very old style luggage rack, so maybe even earlier... I would take it on and strip it back to bare and weld up and strengthen anything that needed it, check for make model and type and try to match parts if required, if its possible to return it to factory standard (note I did not say factory condition), it could be worth a whole sh*tload of dosh...and THAT is a challenge I WOULD take on...lol...

I have just taken a "bone" and done a refit and full service and repairs to a small Yamaha SR 125cc bike...It only took a couple of weeks total to de-rust, to de-weed and de-fur (aluminium oxide salts) and then repaint, its an older bike but has only done 17,000+ miles, so i did a quick fix to the engine, stripped carb, lubed piston through plug hole, turned it over, got it loose enough to go for a start...

Total working time on the engine? About 2 hours-probably less...fired up with a suicide kit and finally carb cut in and took over...full service of electrics, bulbs checked, switches made to work again, and loosened up the seized cables with jet fuel followed by light oils, only took an hour or so...

Then fired it up again, and as the clutch was seized up and with the clutch lever pulled in and tied left it running 20 mins or so in gear, all of a sudden it freed off and was then in almost working condition, I did a full and rapid set of gear changes at revs and it cleared anything still attempting to keep the clutch seized...works fine now...

So for a total cost of around £100 ($160) I bought it, and all bought stuff for it including paint all done inside that price...So whats it worth then you may ask?

If I put it on one of the free to use for sale sites we use here in England it could well fetch the asking price of £1000 ($1600)...

Worth it?  I Think So!!!  It will make some kid a good first bike, these are the bikes people get to do the full licence course on as they are very light, very manouverable, and very economical... 

Would I do it again?  SEND ME THE BIKE IN THE PICTURE!!!!!

(I will add a couple of pictures of the near finished bike soon ok?)

• 601 posts
    August 29, 2012 2:57 AM PDT
    Motorcycle....dumped at sea...military surplus.....probably.... saddle,rear fender,front forks,exhaust,looks close enough.

• August 29, 2012 3:02 AM PDT
    Hey Rory, you got that one?
    • 7 posts
    August 29, 2012 4:01 AM PDT
    Purportedly it's a 1940s (possibly late 30s) BSA found with the wreckage of the Thistlegorm, sunk by the Luftwaffe October 6, 1941 in the Suez canal.

Credit where credit is due (CAUTION: Adult Content): Flesh and Relics

NOTE: I find the link does not take you to the intended page. After the Content Warning, it always takes you to the current blog entry. Once on the current blog entry, you can paste in this URL and it seems to lead to the intended page: http://transversealchemy.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-02-24T10:14:00%2B02:00 )