Crankshaft

• 1855 posts
    June 1, 2012 12:22 AM PDT
    If your crank is out of balance:
    Would it be obvious?
    What would be the first symptom and/or subsequent?
    How immediate is the repair?

Peace

• 5420 posts
    June 1, 2012 4:34 AM PDT
    I was wondering that same thing. I have notice a little extra vibration in the motor lately. Is that a sign of this?
    • 1855 posts
    June 1, 2012 6:55 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    I was wondering that same thing. I have notice a little extra vibration in the motor lately. Is that a sign of this?

That's kind of what I was wondering myself.  In my old shovelhead it's freaking immediate.  It's vibs and pushrod noise and ya can't go too far after noticing it.   However, EVO's and up are pretty darn tough and I was just wondering..............

Peace

• June 1, 2012 6:51 PM PDT
    Best way to rule it out and measure the run out on your crank. Hard to guess at these things, better to rule things out, but then measuring the crank run out isn't a simple project for most but it could reveal many things. Jimmy, I seriously doubt your new Switchback has this issue.
    • 1855 posts
    June 2, 2012 12:35 AM PDT
    Black9 wrote...
    Best way to rule it out and measure the run out on your crank. Hard to guess at these things, better to rule things out, but then measuring the crank run out isn't a simple project for most but it could reveal many things. Jimmy, I seriously doubt your new Switchback has this issue.

No, it's not my Switchback.  The Wideglide motor appears to tighten up (in all gears) at RPM's much lower than in the past.  The vibes are "telling" me to shift instead of the normal RPM range.  I've been riding her and I'm not overly concerned but I do plan on tearing her down after the summer; ballancing the crank, hone cylinders, the works.   Probably close to $2.5 grand but she's definitely worth it.  we've been thru hell and back together.

Peace

• June 2, 2012 1:23 PM PDT
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    Black9 wrote...

No, it's not my Switchback.  The Wideglide motor appears to tighten up (in all gears) at RPM's much lower than in the past.  The vibes are "telling" me to shift instead of the normal RPM range.  I've been riding her and I'm not overly concerned but I do plan on tearing her down after the summer; ballancing the crank, hone cylinders, the works.   Probably close to $2.5 grand but she's definitely worth it.  we've been thru hell and back together.

Peace

Definitely worth it! My next bike is going to be an old Evo that I tear down on day one and rebuild from the ground up, even the motor cases will be split and everything will be replaced as needed and upgraded accordingly! Hold on to that Evo!