new cams, gear drive

• May 26, 2012 4:31 AM PDT
    going to gear drive cams to eleminate tensioners, shopping brands and models, my shopping is tempting me to change my heads too... any suggestions, bad experiences, warnings, advice?  Thanks.
    • 1364 posts
    May 26, 2012 10:19 AM PDT
    I running a 95 in. S & S .585 gear drive with Baisley super street heads duals with Thunder headers 100 hp 105 Ft Torque. I love it
  • June 1, 2012 11:00 AM PDT
    Thanks Highrisk, looking at an S&S 551 "easystart" cam. website recommends a 583 for softails and a 551 for touring bikes. I load my softail pretty heavy and pull a trailer, majority of miles touring, I figure I need a 551, S&S tech agrees. Thinking of going with S&S 97" kit, S&S superstock heads, S&S 551 easystart gear drive cams, Screamin Eagle injectors, and probably swap my V&H Fuelpak for a Power Commander, or H-D Race Tuner. Thanks for your input, wanted to hear from someone with S&S cams.
  • November 7, 2012 12:19 PM PST
    A friend of mine that has a shop told me not to use the gear type setup with a twin cam. He stated the mating points were weak and caused premature failure. I do not know this to be fact so doublecheck.
    • 1855 posts
    November 8, 2012 1:02 AM PST
    Moondog wrote...
    A friend of mine that has a shop told me not to use the gear type setup with a twin cam. He stated the mating points were weak and caused premature failure. I do not know this to be fact so doublecheck.

Another country heard from?  That's pretty much a bunch of bull.  I ran over 50k miles after installing gear set-up in my twin cam. 

• November 8, 2012 2:34 AM PST
    last bike, 88 TC, I did gear cam's.. and heads... over 40K and not a problem.. new owner has over 20 K, and no problems... if ya want to get the full boost from the cams, ya need to at least port the heads, if not new ones..
    • 1 posts
    November 9, 2012 6:39 AM PST
    The S&S 551 "easystart" cam is a great choice!
  • November 28, 2012 1:58 AM PST
    If I had seen this when the OP posted it, I might have said somethig else, but the S&S 551es cams are the best cams out IMHO ATM.