newbie stupid question

• May 17, 2012 2:59 AM PDT
    Ok so I know what the purpose/meaning of the riding bells and the wave is, however what is the purpose of the long braided ropes hanging from the handlebars? Is it just decoration or does it have a meaning. I don't think I've ever even seen them for sale online yet I keep seeing pictures of them on bikes or riding around. Sorry if this is a silly newbie question but I just didn't know who else to ask. Thanks
  • May 17, 2012 3:05 AM PDT
    protection
  • May 17, 2012 3:09 AM PDT
    It is an Old School Whip, great 4 windshields, The bell wards of Evil Road Spirits an don't buy one for yourself, you gotta have one of your friends buy it for you! The wave you can figure out for yourself LOL
    • 4 posts
    May 17, 2012 3:24 AM PDT
    You can purchase the get back whips in many different color combinations and lengths at ironbraid.com. I have one from them and also have purchased other leather items from them as well. They do good work.
    • 5417 posts
    May 17, 2012 3:30 AM PDT
    John,

If you go way back the whips used to be hand made and typically included a clubs colors.  They were hung from the handle bars or brake lever as "decoration" - at least that's what they said.  However they always had a weighted end - either a heavy ball woven right into the end or something heavy fastened to the end.  Before the quick release clip came along they were tied on with a thin piece of string - strong enough to hold it in place while riding, but thin enough to yank loose if needed for and "emergency".

Now most are factory made and have a quick release brass or steel clip that serves as the weight and a fastening device.

You can find a bunch here... http://www.chilhowee.net/whips.html />

• 130 posts
    May 17, 2012 3:33 AM PDT
    I've heard them called "get backs". I see them braided in club colors. I've never heard of one being used for anything other than decoration but I live in a "concealed carry" State.
  • May 17, 2012 3:43 AM PDT
    The ONLY silly or dumb question is the one you didn't ask!
    • 658 posts
    May 17, 2012 3:47 AM PDT
    • 3006 posts
    May 17, 2012 3:51 AM PDT
    Never noticed these "whips" before ?? Is this a custom for west coast bikers? Its the first I have heard of it.
  • May 17, 2012 4:37 AM PDT
    We have 2 bells given to us by 2 different people.......you can never have enough protection !!
    • 0 posts
    May 17, 2012 8:27 AM PDT
    I have them on my bike because they attract attention. Most cagers don't really pay attention to a slow moving object in the side mirrors. They just assume another vehicle and if it stays there, they tend to block it out. Something flipping around and quick movements they notice and they always do a double check to see what it is and realize it is a motorcycle. Saves 99% of the people from pulling over into you on the hwy.
    • 9 posts
    May 17, 2012 8:57 AM PDT
    I'd seen 'em a few times, but never knew there was a history behind it. Funny, cause I had long fringe "grip covers" on my handle bars, which I ended up braidin', cause they were "whippin' the shit outta ME. I kinda like that "quick release" feature tho. There's been a few times, when I wish my grip covers could've just been pulled right off. They
    hung 18 inches from the grip to ground, BEFORE they were braided, and about 8-9 inches, when braided. And they were thick, so I know it woulda left a mark! Just a lil' one...tee hee.
    Now, I got two forms of "piss me off, and I pull this out"...better just keep that to meself, tho. lol

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • May 17, 2012 11:40 AM PDT
    i was given a bell over 20 yrs ago, i have ever had a accident ,i well never remove it. now that i said that something will go wrong
  • May 17, 2012 1:39 PM PDT
    I've always call them "get back Jack, whips."
    • 9 posts
    May 18, 2012 12:26 AM PDT
    stevew wrote...
    i was given a bell over 20 yrs ago, i have ever had a accident ,i well never remove it. now that i said that something will go wrong

Don't even think that they, bro.  Your covered.  K?
    Ride Free
    Tweek

• 19007 posts
    May 18, 2012 3:38 PM PDT
    I don't remember seeing many whips on bikes where I used to ride (mid Atlantic states). But most of the people I knew that would carry something were usually packin' something else.
  • March 11, 2013 12:30 AM PDT
    Sometime I run mine across the bars and in case of an EM. Lay-Downjust pull one side or the other hard.Pull Right the bike will go down on left and vice-versa.For decorations u can put one on each side and use them as regular horse "REINS",but careful when f$%%#$%in round with stuff.Usin it for what its intended is the safest-Get Back Jack and THAT WORKS!
    • 1855 posts
    March 11, 2013 1:33 AM PDT
    Dating back to the middle ages, the Mace was a weapon. It wasn't for show. It was a decoration. Today, similar "whips" used as an "adornment" by some are not as deadly as the Knights Mace. However, there are bikers out there who, today, hang a deadlier version of the so-called "whip" for no other reason than to use them. It's like this; some bikers hang ballpean hammers from their belt. Now, what possible reason could a guy have for walking/riding around with a ballpean hammer? I'm just saying.

Peace