Rear Brake Pad(s) Replacement on 07 Street Glide

• May 13, 2012 12:37 PM PDT
    Hey guys.....I've never did this kinda job before and was hoping somebody could advise me here... 

I wanted to know if I need to remove the 'rear caliper' in order to replace the brake pads.

My HD manual clearly states or rather describes the procedure with the caliper remaining on the bike. I would think it is difficult like that, in terms of not 'seeing' well enough to re-install the pads let alone removing them.

As well, if I do 'remove' the caliper, I'll need to remove the rear axle so I can get the caliper off and perform the work of removing and replacing the pads w/ little or no effort - just seems prudent to do it like that ~

The manual also speaks of 'removing' the rear master cylinder cover as well - what's up w/ that?

As of this date and time, I have a/b 1/16" of padding left on those pads; so I know I need to change them...My front pads, on the other hand are fine,.....showing a/b 3/16" each pad.

Buddydog ...

• 58 posts
    May 13, 2012 1:28 PM PDT
    The simple answer: You remove the master cylinder cover to release the pressure as you (gently) pry the pads away from the disc. No need to disassemble anything.
    • 5420 posts
    May 13, 2012 2:22 PM PDT
    It is actually very easy to do with the brakes on the bike, especially if you have a lift and can get the bike up so you can work easily from the bottom. 

Open the master cylinder reservoir cover and pry the pads back using a thin clean paint scraper

Remove the two pins

Slide the pads out

Slide the new outside pad in

Grease the pins (using pin grease) and put the pins in just far enough to hold the pads in place

Slide the new inside pad in

Insert the pins all the way and tighten

Bleed the brakes

You might want to check out this post...  Changing Front Brakes on Softail . It is for front brakes, but pretty much the same with the exception of sliding the pads in while on the bike.
  • May 13, 2012 8:40 PM PDT
    Exactly what they already said.....just that another reason for taking the top off the master is so that if its been topped up recently you may want to drain a small amount out as it could spill over when you push the pistons back, I have seen it where its been topped up not long before the pads needed changing, and as the pads were pried away from the brake disk some flooded over...
  • May 14, 2012 7:42 AM PDT
    When I do it, I avoid worrying about taking the top off the master cylinder... as the breaks wear, the level on the brake fluid goes down and the way I've used to push the pistons back is a big flat putty knife, just keeps you from even getting one little bubble in there. Now, if you haven't changed the brake fluid in a while check your level when you install the new pads, check the fluid itself, color and see if it looks dirty or cloudy, if so change that out as wel... easy peasy:-)
    • 1855 posts
    May 14, 2012 9:31 AM PDT
    After the past few days around here I'd be an idiot to offer advice.  It seems however that you've already got some good advice.

Peace
  • May 15, 2012 9:24 AM PDT
    Alright , thanks everybody, /Rufcut, Lucky, Jetman, and of course Black... great help ...think I can do it...and report when its done....and Jimmy,...as always man....your not even remotely an idiot ! thanks for the replies!...I'll try and do it this weekend...considering I feel well enough to do it... Been working a 'labor' job lately (welder/fitter) and I'm (fit) to be tired when I come home....