Sport Bikes Vs. Harleys!!!

• April 16, 2012 6:22 AM PDT

My fiancee builds and deals with custom motorcycles, and my company deals with sport bikes & parts. We are putting together a major bike event in Arizona, and I was wondering how the 2 cultures will get along together at such an event. Any advice in regards to this???

• 846 posts
    April 16, 2012 7:29 AM PDT
    Unless there some territory dispute between clubs there should be an issue. Here in Massachusetts we have many rides that are open to all (just state that in your promotion). I have yet to see a problem between Cruisers and Sport bikes. In fact there’s a ride I go to each year where a small group of us get together to go and it a mix of sport bikes and Harley’s and we’re all just friends. We also have a bike night with a large turnout (up to 1,000 bikes some nights) which is open to all and it a mix of every kind of bike there is and there no problem there. We all grown boys and girls and everyone have the same wind in the knees.
  • April 16, 2012 7:35 AM PDT
    I Agree 100% and I dont think there would be a problem, but...I just really needed feedback so that I know how to prepare for such a diverse mix of people. Note...the ol man is a pain in the ass LOL
  • April 16, 2012 7:42 AM PDT
    I have both and mostly my sport bike friends don't hang out with my cruiser friends. Around where I live sport bike types won't shop up in any number to a non sport bike oriented event. You might draw a few and there generally won't be any problems. Cruiser riders don't generally show up to track days and sport bike events either for that matter so it's mostly just two separate scenes.
    • 0 posts
    April 16, 2012 7:51 AM PDT
    I agree that it should not be an issue, but you are targeting two different demographics here. The Sport bike riders are TYPICALLY a younger crowd and are more a "hold my beer and watch this!" type and the cruisers (not just Harley) are generally older (50's) and have been there, done that and are watching and saying "dang young'uns, they are going to kill themselves"
  • April 16, 2012 10:46 AM PDT
    over the years I've never seen any problems, from the local shows, to national shows, to industry events from the smoke out, to sema it was all good to go. "T"
    • 5419 posts
    April 16, 2012 11:47 AM PDT
    I agree, For the most part I have very rarely seen any conflicts between the two groups at any of the events I have attended.

However I think a lot will depend on what type of event you are planning. The only time I have seen the groups together has been at motorcycle shows, expo type events - from small local shows to big events like BBB, Laughlin, Laconia, Daytona Bike Week, etc. However for the most part I very seldom ever see sport bikes at biker rallies, so I really can't tell you how well that would go over.
  • April 16, 2012 11:50 AM PDT
    Gentlemen, thank you soo much for the insight. I am sure that it will go off without a hitch...but the concerns are legitimate because of the crowds involved.Everyone have a safe ride and a great evening!