Tranny or Not To Tranny?

• March 28, 2012 12:04 PM PDT
    Recently I bought a used bike from a dealership, drove it and love it. On the 4th day I heard noises coming from the Transmission.  Oh Shit!...Took the bike to a nearby shop and found out there is no trans oil in it  So now my baker trans is roylally F' ed!  The dealer said before I picked the bike up they did a routine check from top to bottom.  So my question is, without seeing any leaks how do YOU think the oil vashished???  Or is someone full of SHIT!!!
  • March 28, 2012 12:06 PM PDT
    sniff, sniff....smell kinda stinky...
    Maybe it was dry to begin with....
    • 2 posts
    March 28, 2012 2:07 PM PDT
    I would absolutely, positively sue - Only done it a couple of times but have had good results in "Small Claims Court"
  • March 28, 2012 3:44 PM PDT
    I'm thinking the tranny was dry when you picked it up. I'd let a dealer mechanic check it out to see if it needs replacing. Maybe you are blessed and lucky.
    • 16840 posts
    March 28, 2012 4:13 PM PDT
    The dealer should be responsible.
    • 0 posts
    March 28, 2012 5:10 PM PDT
    IF IT LOOKS LIKE SHIT AND SMELLS LIKE SHIT THERE AINT NO REASON TO TASTE IT LAD..GO BACK THERE WITH A F#CKIN BIG CROWBAR AND PICK OUT A NEW TRANNY...CHEERS BOOF
    • 844 posts
    March 28, 2012 6:04 PM PDT
    I would guess that if you don't have trany fluid on the ground then it was either empty when you got it or someone sabotaged your bike.

But on the other hand, I can't believe you rode it around for 4 days with a dry tranny and didn't feel the excessive heat or hear any noises???
    • 1855 posts
    March 29, 2012 1:23 AM PDT
    I'm just surprised anyone would take a dealers word for anything and ya didn't check out the fluids before hand. But that's neither here nor there right now. Take 'em to court. Also, if there had been synthetic oil in the tranny at one time, it may not be shot to hell.

Peace
  • March 29, 2012 7:21 AM PDT
     Can I ask.....do you fix your own bikes? 
    Do regular maintenance on your own bikes? 
    Do you take a qualified friend/expert with you
    for an opinion when you go buy a secondhand bike?
  • March 29, 2012 10:41 AM PDT
    HEY EVERYONE...THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT!
  • March 31, 2012 2:23 PM PDT
    Well after a week from being dodged from the service manager I decided to go to the dealership today with a couple of my boys ready to take a few years from the assholes thats been jerkin me off. After a few encouraging words they decided to agreement it was all theyre fault for selling me a bike that wasnt fully looked over. Its always a good feeling when you have your back covered when people try to screw you.
    • 19049 posts
    March 31, 2012 11:38 PM PDT
    Glad they decided to do the right thing.
    • 9 posts
    April 1, 2012 1:17 AM PDT
    It's telling that you had to have back-up, for these A**Holes to do the right thing. I wonder how many other folks they've ripped off? Glad they did the RIGHT thing for ya. Let's hope they smarten up, cause if they don't...Karma ain't gonna be so kind...

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 834 posts
    April 1, 2012 3:54 AM PDT
    Glad you got it taken care of without costing you anything out of your pocket
  • April 1, 2012 12:04 PM PDT
    3 California Coastal Harley Dealers had their licenses terminated this year and there's one more dealership just to about to get the same boot... so many customer complaints! I think 'investors' have 'infested' the Harley Davidson dealer industry, these are people who have no idea what they're dealing with when it comes to bike owners and now they're being showed the door! And good riddance to them!
    I have a friend who works for the dealer that's about to lose their license and he's been working their for years quite successfully and one day they had new owners saying they were going to change a long standing way of selling motorcycles to the public, no rhyme, no reason they were just going to change it because it was different and they gambled that it would bring more owners to the table... welp, as he put it: it blew up in their faces and now this particular dealership is struggling to sell anything from their floor to anyone but a wholesaler... they have also been estranged from their dealership HOG chapter but refusing to sponsor their events and this HOG chapter now just holds meetings at local restaurants and so forth to stay connected. Even the local 3 piece clubs are boycotting the place... what an irony!?!? Bike owners boycotting their own preferred MOCO?
    There is something REALLY wrong when a company like Harley Davidson can't just do business as usual and I believe its because the 'investors' want a quick return on their money, over pricing the bikes without any concern of earning their loyalty by throwing things in on the deal and or offering them some sort of convenient Servicing plan that doesn't cost you over $3000.00 and then not honoring it. These investors are clearly not riders in any shape or form, just people wanting to turn a product and make a fast buck, and in this economy they should concentrate on customer loyalty instead of trying to stuff people into a deal they don't want and can't afford just to have the MOCO brand under their butt! Ridiculous!
    I'd love to have the money and clout to walk in and take it over and be able to pay buy out the 'investors' and take it over and have a shot at showing these knuckleheads how its done!
  • April 21, 2012 11:58 AM PDT
    The day has finally come....The beast is back and all is fixed!!! Never again a purchase anything I mean any ******* from this dealership. The service department had two speeds....slow and stop. The only good thing that came out of this was I didnt have to shell out a dime for the repair. Hey next time check ALL the fluids before you roll a bike outta your place!!! Thanks for all the CF supporters! Ride on!
    • 3006 posts
    April 21, 2012 12:04 PM PDT
    Right On !!! I love a good ending !!!

stay safe n enjoy the ride!!!
    • 1 posts
    April 21, 2012 1:29 PM PDT
    its a sign of the times Black...you honestly didn't think the yuppies who bought Harleys wouldn't have been eyeing off the potential lucrative market did you. HD is a licence to print money. Apparel is the biggest rip off...Just take a look at how many shop front there are. Lynchberg HD for instance. No mechanics No bike sales...yet they sell merchandise as quick as they can put it on the shelves, at overly inflated prices...Stuff there is dearer than what it is down under...all riding on the back of Jack Daniels. Yet just down the street is Lynchburg Choppers, who sponser everything and have a mechanic and actually sell bikes...Who would have been the logical choice...had HD stuck to there original game plan.

Glad the author of this post got their, scooter fixed...happy motoring....tranny's yuck... sprockets and chains...., says the guy who bought a vulcan for this years tour...better check the tranny when I pick it up...thanks for the post.