Daytona 200 - WOW What a Finish

• 5420 posts
    March 17, 2012 9:04 AM PDT
    All I can say is WOW!  If you didn't see the last five laps of the Daytona 200 Motorcycle Race... go find it and watch it!!!

That had to be the best motorcycle race finish I have seen for as long as I can remember...  My dog is still hiding becuase Laura and I were screeming so loud for DiSalvo to pull it off!

It was a two man race between the two 19 year olds - Pascarella and Beaubier - with 10 laps to go and  the experienced Cardenas and last years winner DiSalvo about 10 seconds back.  By 3 laps to go it was a four man race.  With two laps to go...right up to the finish any of the four riders could have reached out and touched each other. 
    DiSalvo made one last push at the end jumping out to pass the leader but he came in second by 0.048 seconds.

Wound up being....

1. Joey Pascarella (Yamaha)
    2. Jason DiSalvo (Triumph) +0.048
    3. Cameron Beaubier (Yamaha) +0.112
    4. Martin Cardenas (Suzuki) +0.112
    5. Dane Westby (Suzuki) +44.354

As you can see, these guys were well out in front of fourth and the rest of the pack.

Congrats to 19 year old Joey Pascarella and his team on an absolutely perfect race!!!!

• 601 posts
    March 17, 2012 9:31 AM PDT
    any U tube on this ?
    • 5420 posts
    March 17, 2012 9:38 AM PDT
    Not yet Neil, just ended. As soon as I find it, I'll post it.

by the way - how come you can still type? It's St Patrick's Day!
    • 601 posts
    March 17, 2012 9:50 AM PDT
    Funny enough...seems that most of the folk who get pissed on St Pats day....aren't Irish !! or else they are Irish living abroad, it can be very quiet in the homeland !!! gonna tuck into a few Capt Morgans and some beer with a few buddies now.. listening to Dropkick Murphys.
    • 5420 posts
    March 17, 2012 9:57 AM PDT
    Yeah, Kind of like Cinco deMayo - no one in Mexico celebrates it
    • 5420 posts
    March 17, 2012 10:01 AM PDT
    Wow, the AMA Super Bike Race in Daytona just had another great finish...

Blake Young took the win in by just 0.002 seconds by holding off a last minute charge by Josh Hayes.

1. Blake Young (Suzuki)
    2. Josh Hayes (Yamaha) +0.002
    3. Roger Hayden (Suzuki) +10.283
    4. Josh Herrin (Yamaha) +11.505
    5. Larry Pegram (BMW) +21.904
    • 5420 posts
    March 18, 2012 5:56 AM PDT
    Okay, found the video.  You have got to see the end of this race even if you are not a big motorcycle race fan.  The video is the last 8 laps and if you watch the entire thing you will see how far back DiSalvo came from.  Or you can move forward to about minute 9 or 10 and just watch the last few laps where the battle really heats up...

• 1855 posts
    March 19, 2012 1:14 AM PDT
    Thanks Lucky!!! Damn great finish that was. I loved watching it again.

Peace
    • 79 posts
    March 19, 2012 1:55 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Okay, found the video.  You have got to see the end of this race even if you are not a big motorcycle race fan.  The video is the last 8 laps and if you watch the entire thing you will see how far back DiSalvo came from.  Or you can move forward to about minute 9 or 10 and just watch the last few laps where the battle really heats up...

That was a great finish. Those guys were scootin' too! Wow!! What's the average speed of those guys?
    • 5420 posts
    March 19, 2012 2:29 AM PDT
    Average is around 120mph with top speeds around 185mph. When they are racing in and out of the big turns they are making them passes at around 160mph.