Installing driving lights

• March 5, 2012 10:29 AM PST
    I have a set of fork mounted driving lights but I'm having problems fitting them with my detachable windshield.  If I install them lower on my forks then the shocks might hit them.  I don't want to have to purchase a new windshield or have this one altered (cut, shorten and reweld brackets) for the lights but need extra lighting.

My next question is can you use the same wiring (maybe slice into) as I have for my mp3 player and speakers?  I have an estimate of $225.00 for installing and wiring under seat and tank but still have the issue of where to mount that looks good.  Not a big fan of crash bar installation because I'm afraid of debris cracking the lens.

RaceAngel
    • 2 posts
    March 5, 2012 10:54 AM PST
    Short answer, lights require a lot more juice than an MP3 player + speakers and PROBABLY the wiring would not be adequate.
    More information required
    * Pictures, lots of pictures
    * How many watts the lights

You must have a crew for your car, surely they can fabricate new brackets & drag a wire. - Really suggest you fuse the new wire & if I was doing it would put a relay in so that the lights are off when the headlights are off (Don't ask why I suggest that, it just came out of the blue.)
  • March 5, 2012 11:41 AM PST
    if the wind shield is an issue stay away from the forks,you dont want to interfere with you lower fork travel.the odds of debris hitting a lens is pretty slim if you were to ask me.as for priceing on installation. i always say tthat if the job gets done right then the price is worth it.good work aint cheap and cheap work aint good!!!
    • 2072 posts
    March 5, 2012 11:43 AM PST
    I had my driving lights mounted on my crash bars for 2 years with NO problems at all !!!!!
  • March 5, 2012 12:03 PM PST
    I have a switch amd I am sure the lights do require a lot more juice than a MP3 player and speakers, didn't think of that.
    • 5420 posts
    March 5, 2012 1:03 PM PST
    RA, I looked at pics of your bike and couldn't see where you have them mounted now, but I'm assuming right above the cross member on the forks.

I would think you could just use the same wires and add some length to re-route them down to the crash bars. I too have ridden for quite a few years and lots of miles with driving lights on my crash bars and haven't lost a lens yet.
  • March 6, 2012 5:44 AM PST
    I don't have them mounted yet. Would like to have them installed before I ride to Havasu in a few weeks and definately before the Laughlin River Run. I'm still looking forward to meeting some of my Cyclefish family one of these days.
    • 5420 posts
    March 6, 2012 6:04 AM PST
    Ooops sorry, I thought you said they were installed on the forks and didn't work anymore with the windshield.

I would still go with the crash bar mount.

p.s. - I will probably be in Laughlin Tue - Thur
    • 2 posts
    March 6, 2012 1:04 PM PST
    You really do want:
    1. A dedicated fuse in the wiring, w/ all the wonderful, gee-whiz electronics you don't want to chance frying something expensive
    2. A relay wired into the headlight wires. - It might happen that you could be way, way out in the toolies & forget to turn your running lights off & end up asking picnickers, in the middle of summer, if they have jumper cables which of course they don't. - Not that this ever actually happened.
  • March 14, 2012 4:44 AM PDT
    Lucky we'll be in Laughlin Wed. afternoon thru Sat. Hopefully me and hubby can come by to meet you and the CF family.

Ride Safe,
  • March 14, 2012 5:11 AM PDT
    Replacing your headlight bulb with a Xenon HID bulb will give you more light than the two 55 watt driving lights.
    • 5420 posts
    March 14, 2012 1:05 PM PDT
    The HID Xenon head lights are great and will put our about three times the light.  However it is still only one source and although it lets you see a lot farther down the road, you still have a dark spot on the ground right in front of your bike and on the sides of the road.  Driving lights allow yo to light those areas up.  I have my right driving light turned slightly to the right to illuminate the shoulder and my left light aimed slightly down to illuminate the dark spot on the road right in front of the bike.  That along with a high intensity head light and its like I'm riding through a lit up football stadium.

As for the wiring, here you go...

The wiring instructions will work with any driving/fog lights - not just the HD kit.  You can find some reasonably priced ones online at J&P Cycles or Dennis Kirk

ENGINE GUARD-MOUNTED FOG LAMP KIT INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

• 1161 posts
    March 14, 2012 1:48 PM PDT
    Ok I'll add my two sence in here, I just mounted driving / fog lights on my bike and you need to make sure the power you use for the lights won't drain your battery down (like mine did) when I stalled it. But since not using them had no problems and battery holds charge well. Just thought you may want to take this in to consideration for choice of lights you want to mount.
  • March 14, 2012 2:35 PM PDT
    girl mount them on the engine guards they will be fine, hell my kings turnsignal lense was cracked from a stone kicked up by the car infront of me at a construction zone, and that is higher than the engine guards, if its going to happen its going to happen. have a great one! "T"
    • 1855 posts
    March 14, 2012 3:02 PM PDT
    Engine guards? Perhaps I've had too many Corona's tonight (perhaps?) but what the heck are engine guards? Can't find 'em on my wideglide, my shovel, or my Switchback.

Peace