2012 Charity run

• 3 posts
    February 21, 2012 3:11 AM PST

hi to all

we are trying to organise a first anual benefit ride in the San Francisco North bay, it is in the beginning stages and we like to see what kind of feed back we are getting on cycle fish. the beneficiaries are not picked we are open for suggestions.

Robby

• 5420 posts
    February 21, 2012 7:55 AM PST
    Hey Robby, I always recommend to start by working with/for local charities. Most of them have a harder time finding people who will do something to help out, and don't have the resources to do it themselves like the bigger charities. Plus since you are just starting you probably will not raise a great deal of money your first year, and even the smallest donations go a long way with local charities.
    • 834 posts
    February 23, 2012 6:29 AM PST
    I agree , local charities really need the help right now.

Are you doing this with a club or group?
  • February 23, 2012 6:34 AM PST
    Yep, keep it local mate...Thats what we do over here...and we do one bigger one for Cancer Research UK and a Big one for the Air Ambulance as a personal thing, ...Always invite the charity along for the event and let them see what kind of people WILL put their hands in their pockets...
    • 601 posts
    February 23, 2012 8:09 AM PST
    Always best to keep it local mo chara (Gaelic for friend)...gives the whole community a lift, we do a local one here for Down syndrome kids and the look on they're faces when a few hundred scruffy bikers come rolling in with toys,candy and money gives everyone a real buzz, a real family day out...a few trikes always come and give the kids a wee spin...some even get on the bikes...... and as a plus, the local cops even give a bit of leeway on the beer after...just warn us to be gone before their shift changes.
    • 3 posts
    February 23, 2012 3:06 PM PST
    thanks for the replies will keep it local for sure was hoping for some of my fellow locals to champ on it after posting
    but it looks like you all are from out of state. Tx anyway, will keep you posted.
    there are great runs here allready one is for the children of San Quentin Prison inmates we had 2 runs in 2011 on for Back to school and the other for Christmas. The moms and the kids are just so much fun to see happy.

• 4 posts
    April 18, 2012 1:28 PM PDT
    You can't go wrong with Childrens Charities! I have done some events where the charity brought out a few of the kids that were helped and it its very heart warming.