A story about a coyote

• January 27, 2012 11:15 PM PST
    A story about a coyote
    - California versus South Dakota

California:

1. The Governor of California is jogging with his dog along a nature trail. A coyote jumps out and attacks the Governor's dog, then bites the Governor.
    2. The Governor starts to intervene, but reflects upon the movie "Bambi" and then realizes he should stop because the coyote is only doing what is natural.
    3. He calls animal control Animal Control captures the coyote and bills the State $200 testing it for diseases and $500 for relocating it.
    4. He calls a veterinarian. The vet collects the dead dog and bills the State $200 testing it for diseases.
    5. The Governor goes to hospital and spends $3,500 getting checked for diseases from the coyote and on getting his bite wound bandaged.
    6. The running trail gets shut down for 6 months while Fish & Game conducts a $100,000 survey to make sure the area is now free of dangerous animals.
    7. The Governor spends $50,000 in state funds implementing a "coyote awareness program" for residents of the area..
    8. The State Legislature spends $2 million to study how to better treat rabies and how to permanently eradicate the disease throughout the world.
    9. The Governor's security agent is fired for not stopping the attack. The State spends $150,000 to hire and train a new agent with additional special training re: the nature of coyotes.
    10. PETA protests the coyote's relocation and files a $5 million suit against the State.

South Dakota:

1. The Governor of South Dakota is jogging with his dog along a nature trail. A Coyote jumps out and attacks his dog.
    2. The Governor shoots the coyote with his state-issued pistol and keeps jogging.
    3. The Governor has spent $0.50 on a .45 hollow point cartridge.
    4. The Buzzards eat the dead coyote.

And that, my friends, is why California is broke and South Dakota is not!

• 9 posts
    January 28, 2012 12:23 AM PST
    Ain't it the truth. Bureaucracy, at it's finest. They have to form a committee, to police the committee, they formed to make a committee, to study...FILL IN THE BLANK! Our tax dollars, being USED, at the "governments" discretion, giving US no say so, on how it's to be spent. I wish California, WERE the only state that this problem existed in. This is NATIONWIDE. And don't get me started on the Congressional "dead-lock", over bi-partisanship. Political back-biting, and greed, have ensnared the very people, we elected (in most cases), and turned them into useless and untrustworthy representatives of this country. They no longer have OUR best interests
    at heart. And the sooner, every one of us, stands up and demands change, the better.
    This doesn't just depend on who is President, he isn't the only one who makes policy.
    Take a look around you, folks. Get to know the candidates. Research them all. I don't care what your party affiliation is, or if you don't align yourself with any of the usual suspects. Make an educated decision, come next November. Don't fall for all the rhetoric, and for God sakes, those redundant and nasty television commercials!
    It has NEVER been more important, for our choices to be those, which we can ALL LIVE WITH.
    And it starts by being pro-active. Go above and beyond on this. It's not just OUR future, that depends on it!

(Jumpin' off my soap-box, now)

Personally, I wish all matter's could be solved for .50 cents. Til we make it that way...this is just my 2.

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 1780 posts
    January 28, 2012 12:40 AM PST
    Love that, and it's so true
  • January 28, 2012 12:41 AM PST
    Great!
  • January 28, 2012 9:17 AM PST
  • January 28, 2012 10:30 AM PST
    Great Story
    • 601 posts
    January 28, 2012 11:08 AM PST
    you gotta love bureaucracy...

Our town council hired a gardener fo $200 a week....

during summer he had a lot of work so they got him a ride on mower $2000..

seeing as he had a machine they had to hire a mechanic $500..

now that was 2 people so they had to hire an overseer $650...

someone realised that 3 people needed a payclerk $500...

now everyone knows that 4 people a government body has to have a supervisor $700...

a suprvisor needs a computer $1000...and a communications system $2000..

and a computor needs a programmer $400...

an engineer is hired to care for all the equipment $2500..

oh oh..another payclerk $500..

thats a lot of people now so lets have a union rep $400..

now we need someone to represent them at council $3000..

a budget controller is hired to control this cost spiral $5000..

his report states that there is too much cost overrun (report $3000)..

so to save money they sack the gardener..........
  • January 29, 2012 2:23 AM PST
    Good...very good.
  • January 29, 2012 7:10 AM PST
    I retired out of a similar five ring circus here in my home town (dep't of public works chief equipment mechanic). Since then the new city manager has managed to piss off the city council, the cops, the public works department, all the clerks at silly hall, and now it looks like a six ring circus with the whole thing run by the clowns!!
    • 1 posts
    January 29, 2012 7:31 AM PST
    It just goes to show you, how TV affects your brain. I thought Coyotes only tried to eat roadrunners...and had accounts for unlimited purchases at ACME....Proved wrong again.
  • February 1, 2012 4:27 AM PST
    And that my friends is the honest truth about Cali. Love the state, born and raised there! But, yes this is only one of the many reasons that Cali is broket!
  • February 1, 2012 6:26 AM PST
    Darling ain't that the truth now, the simple blown way out of proportion, the serious swept under the rug.
    LOL! Jonesy I guess "that's all folks!" have agreat one "T"
  • February 3, 2012 7:43 AM PST
    How about a raccoon story: I was riding on an extremely curvy road in Arkansas, Hwy 7. A coon runs out of the woods in front of me. I veer to miss him and he scurries right in my path. I barely missed the raccoon, and heard his hiss and saw him claw at me as we missed each other by inches. I wonder how bad a coon would upset a bike in motion in a curve?
    • 601 posts
    February 3, 2012 9:40 AM PST
    we have no wild animals here...cept rabbits and fox's...and single women.
    • 658 posts
    February 3, 2012 4:05 PM PST
    Such is the way of goverment. I work with it every day. Sometimes all I can do is laugh. (better than crying)
  • February 4, 2012 1:08 AM PST
    Not that I entirely disagree with the point being made, but in all fairness I think it should be recognized that California is not South Dakota. According to Wikipedia, if it were a nation of it's own, it would have the world's eighth largest economy and the 35th largest population. South Dakota, on the other hand, has 800,000 people spread over 77,000 or so square miles, and is the fifth least-densely populated state in the United States.

So basically, we're comparing what amounts to a large nation to a small midwestern state. I'm not trying to excuse the absurdities of large government. But on the other hand, it's a lot easier for 800,000 WASPs to live together in relative harmony than it is for 37 million people of every possible color, culture and religion. Like it or not, with that kind of human witches' brew, there are going to be a LOT of rules, and a LOT of problems. Kids have kid problems, and adults have adult problems; South Dakota has the problems of a small state, and California has the problems of a nation. Given the scale we're talking about, I don't see any way California's problems can ever be solved to everybody's satisfaction.