gps and helmet headset

• January 27, 2012 7:14 AM PST
    Well it's done.

As much as I resisted a gps system, preferring to write directions on the windscreen with a wax pencil, a friend has up and bought me a waterproof gps system to use with the Harley. The excuse? I would get fewer speeding tickets because it can give me radar warnings.

I refuse  to look down at the gps system while riding, so I am looking for recommendations for a wireless bluetooth helmet headset. Would anyone have advice? Thanks in advance!
    Spider
    • 1855 posts
    January 27, 2012 8:44 AM PST
    Uhhh, watch out for "Mayhem"..

Peace
    • 5420 posts
    January 27, 2012 8:54 AM PST
    Hey Spider,

Perfect timing!!! I am just finishing up a product review on a new Bluetooth helmet system from UClear that works with phone, music, gps, etc. I haven't completed the full product review yet, but this is a GREAT system with some really cool technology and so far I am happy with all the features and the performance.

Check out their profile here...
    http://www.cyclefish.com/UCLEAR/ style="font-size: larger;"> and visit their website for more info
    • 2 posts
    January 27, 2012 11:16 AM PST
    Would appreciate it if people using a gps on their scoot would write some reviews.

Love the Tom-Tom when driving the truck - can make a 100 mile trip into adventure (some day will tell you a few) but sunlight washes out the display when I use it on my scooterl Keep it in the tank bag & take it out only when lost.

Priced the HD one. Cheeze, I paid less for most of my rides than they wanted for a pocket size, Chinese made, electronic gizmo,
    • 1 posts
    January 27, 2012 11:23 AM PST
    I have been using a GPS for a few years and I love it. Once you learn your gps you will only glance at it for a millisec and get what you need to know. After all; before you set out on your destination you probably have and idea of what direction you will travel and some idea of where you going and with that you will not need to study the gps while riding. My first thought about an gps was safety; am I going to be distracted and cause an accident. It took me a little time to get used it, but I managed. Oh BTW I don't have a blue tooth; in fact, I turned the volume off. At 50+ MPH you can't hear it anyways. Lucky, I think you enjoy your GPS. I know for me it saved me a lot of time and turn around miles for me.
    • 5420 posts
    January 27, 2012 11:31 AM PST
    I actually don't use a GPS on my bike - I had to borrow one to test the Bluetooth system I'm doing the review on

For the most part I just head somewhat in the direction of my destination, if I miss a turn there is usually another turn somewhere down the road that will head me in the same direction.

When I get REALLY lost I'll pull over to use the mapping feature on my phone, find out where I am, get a basic direction to head in and go!

• January 27, 2012 11:52 AM PST
    I suppose what you want the bluetooth for and what type of helmet would be a valid question. If you wear a novelty lid you would need headphone style or ear buds. If you wear a full face speakers installed in the spaceship would suffice. If you wear a small 1/2 lid and want to pair it to your phone, God forbid, I would look at a BlueParrot B250-XT. It is a favorite with truckers for its noice canceling and long battery life. It looks flat enough on top to fit under a lid.
  • January 27, 2012 8:00 PM PST
    I've had a Garmin 550 for a few years now. I also have the Scala Rider bluetooth in my helmet.(fullface)

Sound isn't the greatest but it's enough to get your attention so you aren't constantly watching your GPS instead of the road.

All my friends laugh at me cuz I'm the one with the GPS & am always getting lost,. I can always find my way home tho. I love the MapSource feature Garmin has to plot maps for rides. I've found more neat roads and some not so neat but hey riding is an adventure.

Don't let anyone tell ya having a GPS ruins the free adventure. I've seen a sign & said ohhhh let's go there and totally changed my route. Beauty is I can always get back on track & also find hotels, eateries, and gas stops.

• January 27, 2012 9:51 PM PST
    I don't run GPS on the bike. I had a conversation with a guy recently that does. He said he zooms in and it makes him aware of blind roads intersecting the twisties he is riding. Also stated that if there are rain clouds in the distance, he can also reroute to skirt around it by zooming out and selecting a road that goes off in a different direction.
    • 601 posts
    January 27, 2012 10:08 PM PST
    I'm not much help...I live in a country 300 miles long by 160 wide...so getting lost is kinda difficult !! but when touring especially in the U.S I prefer a map every day...getting lost is half the fun, you meet the best kind of people down narrow roads, and getting directions can start a great conversation and lead to good friendships...as for speeding tickets, I just act the innocent Irish tourist, and give the police a load of old blarney, works in America, because for some reason the cops all seem to have some Irish heritage, and they do have a wee bit of compassion for the "innocent tourist"
    • 19049 posts
    January 27, 2012 10:29 PM PST
    Agreeing with Rory except in the speeding ticket response. Low and slow is my philosophy, if ya don't speed ya don't get stopped!
    • 1855 posts
    January 28, 2012 12:40 AM PST
    I can use my cell phone. Bluetooth? I have no clue what that is so I figure I don't need it. GPS? I've always gotten where I wanted to be and always made in home without one.

BTW, ya know what I hate? We pull over to put on our rain gear and some dork comes up to us to show us the freakin' weather approaching on his electronic gizmo. Honestly? Give me a frkn break. I've been less than nice to someone who has done that. Yeah, afterwards I've felt bad about getting on his case 'cause I know he was just tryin' to be helpful. Somehow it takes all the adventure out of the ride. And I wouldn't have any good storm stories to tell if I knew enough to sit this one out. Trips to Sturgis produced some of the most awesome ride experiences as far as weather goes that I've ever had, not to mention teaching me a helluva lot about being prepared over the years.

Peace
  • January 28, 2012 12:59 AM PST
    Thanks everyone! Ja, well I have to use the gift, so may as well get over my resistance and excuses, smile sweetly and use it. Rain gear has always remained on the bike, as weather here is always cantankerous. In fact, I am pleasantly surprised when I do have a full day of sun!
    I do tend to travel alone since no one here rides as far as I do, so sometimes I don't like to be lost in less than safe areas. Have had some odd adventures including getting stuck in a deeply rutted road (yes, stuck IN, not ON) where I had no business riding that Harley. (Eventually a farmer showed up with tractor and helped.)
    I do ride fast but that's just me. I DO pay attention to the speed signs in populated areas but just can't help myself in open, dry areas. Or mountain roads, what a joy racing through them! Well, as good as a Heritage can without scraping off too much of the footplate. And then, just because of the joy of the ride, I am completely ignorant of the speed sign that next appears. I can ride slower, and do, with others. ;-)
    Thanks also Lucky, I'll check out that link!
  • January 28, 2012 1:00 AM PST
    And the hotel and gas stop suggestions on these gps systems seem super!