The California Strategic Hwy Safety Plan

• 1855 posts
    January 18, 2012 10:56 PM PST
    "ARE tracked and reported by each state. " Didn't I say it was a state thing? Also, I'm done reading reports. Didn't you get that message. I've been reading stats and reports for decades. I was PR for ABATE of Ohio. I pushed for helmet repeal laws in Pa., Ky, and Florida. I'm not arguing over your numbers, published stats, etc. I'm saying they don't freakin' matter because no matter what we do or attempt to do, we're not going to force responsibility on individuals.

"The economical impact and your statement makes no sense to me". Right. You're right. It doesn't make any sense because the reports on the economical impact have absolutely nothing to do with motorcycle awareness. It's left field. That's all I was getting at. And, I didn't "insuate" that education doesn't work. I said statics are not going to accomplish the desired educational goals. It still boils down to personal responsiblity and/or personal tragedy.

Also, you're having this conversation with someone who doesn't live in California because you started the topic on a forum whose members aren't exclusively from California. You didn't specify that you wanted only Californians to respond. Plus, you have no idea where I've lived or where I've ridden during my 63 years. You attack my credibility without knowing much about me at all. And you know what else? There are many on this forum, myself included, who have lost loved ones in a motorcycle accident. Some died because they were irresponsible. Some died because a cager was irresponsible. And some died because sheite happens and they made a crucial mistake in judgement.

I lost my wife in 2009; not because I had been drinking, not because another driver was careless; but because after over 40 years in the wind and despite all the safety courses and experiences, I made a frkn mistake and killed my wife. Is there a stat for that? No. Someone will use the death of my wife to validate some stupid statistic that has no bearing on what really happened.

I do admire your concern and desire to educate and make people aware. I simply don't believe quoting statistics is the way to go about it. That's all.
    • 9 posts
    January 19, 2012 12:07 AM PST
    Dang Jimmy,
    I'm sorry about your wife. I'm sure it was an accident. That's all. We are ALL only human, and therefore fallible. And that's the only point I want to make here. IEDarla, I think what you're trying to say is admirable. Your personal message is clear. You say you are a passenger only, but I think you, too, must have lost someone close, to be such an awareness advocate. (I could be wrong, and apologize, if I am). I have seen my fair share of fatalities, over the last 30 years. Some...up close and personal. And I sincerely advocate awareness being made an issue.
    But I have to throw my two-cents in on self-awareness, and responsibility. I don't need statistics to know that I've made huge mistakes while riding. I've climbed on, knowing full well, I'd go to jail, if I were given a breathalyzer.
    That being said, (and I no longer ride, anything unless sober), I think it is just as important, if not more so, for
    the rider himself, to be educated. And by educated, I mean taking the Motorcycle Safety Course. Here, in Florida,
    it is mandated by the State now, before you can be licensed. Wasn't always the case. But, now you HAVE to take the course before you can get endorsed. I believe that should be a nation-wide mandate. I took the safety course when I bought a brand new Harley, back in '91, and that course and the things that I learned, have been invaluable, and have SAVED MY LIFE, on more than one occasion.
    And with today's obstacle's, (ie. cell phones, distracted driver's) it's become more important than ever, for THE RIDER, to know and learn things that could make all the difference in the world.
    Like the saying..."even an old dog, can learn new tricks", seasoned rider's, too, can benefit from the Advanced Rider Course. It's a different world out there, in so many ways, and we ALL need to take more responsibility.
    Riding sober, for one. (Ya'll know how that can be done, while still enjoying yerselves!)
    Using your mirrors and riding/driving defensively.
    Watching out for the "other" guy. Cause we all know, that the "left-turners" are out there...
    Riding Safely. Notice I put a period. Period!
    Wearing safe riding apparel. (Whatever that means to you, AS LONG AS IT'S NOT SHORTS & FLIP-FLOPS!!!)
    Being a courteous rider. (It's a lot safer, than hot-doggin', TRUST ME)
    And finally...NEVER ASSUMING ANYTHING, from another rider or driver. People are unpredictable. Believe it.

So, let's all agree on one thing, eh? We're all out here to have fun, and if we want it to stay that way, we can't
    put it all in someone else's lap, awareness...starts with US!

Ride Free
    Tweek

• January 19, 2012 7:35 AM PST
    Jimmy, my sympathies on the loss of your wife.
    Tweek, No I have not lost anyone that was very close to me. But I ride a lot and have for more than 20 years. It is not uncommon here to see 4 or 5 accidents on a daily basis just in the southern California region and in the "off"season. There are so many variables, and we as rider and passenger have to be as you said so well, self aware and be as responsible for our riding habits and actions.

Part of what I do is to teach the passenger on how to be a good and engaged passenger, and this is something I have done for sometime. I have spoken with hundreds of ladies that are new riders that just want to know some simple basic things. I have spoken with hundreds of people just on awareness of riders who had no idea that lane sharing is legal in our state, and thought that bikers were breaking the law, or didn't know the importance of keeping the bike cool when it's 110 and the traffic is at a standstill.

We pound it into the heads of drivers not to drink and drive, not to talk on the phone and drive, this message is not unlike those. Drivers, be aware that there are vehicles on the road that are smaller and less visible, recheck your blind spots before making the lane change, wait for the bike to make it through the intersection, even if you have to wait for the light to cycle through again, The message is simple.

I completely agree with your post. Thanks for the input.
    • 2 posts
    January 19, 2012 12:57 PM PST
    Noble thing you are attempting but can't think of anything that would make it safer for motorcycles in particular. - I put  "Watch for Motorcycles" signs most everyplace. Makes me feel better put it would probably be more productive to spend the time flossing my teeth or something.

Drivers should be aware of EVERYTHING, there are bicycles & runners & kids darting about and I have no idea how to teach awareness.
    My son's lacrosse coach was always screaming "HEAD ON A SWIVEL"  & used that as a mantra when teaching the kids how to drive.

If I am ever elected emporer or something will make it a requirement to ride a motorcycle before driving a car.
  • January 19, 2012 2:23 PM PST
    I wish there was a "LIKE" button for your your post. But again, if we can bring down teenage driving fatalities through education, why can we not do the same thing for motorcycle fatalities...? It has worked in other states. My biggest complaint has been what the state said they would do through the Grant Funding but have failed to. It is the fiduciary responsibility through this grant to complete this process as stated at the minimum.
    • 2 posts
    January 20, 2012 11:51 AM PST
    Might consider proposing something that encourages ALL drivers to get in a simulator - Not to learn wheel handling, 24 hours at Sebring, skills but to be exposed to the unexpected, say, motorcycle passing you, bicyclist on a road with no shoulder, kid running from in front of parked car things.
    Never done a simulator but if one was available at a reasonable cost I would try it,
  • January 20, 2012 1:57 PM PST
    That would be so awesome to use at events for high schools, all kinds of possibilities. Even letting someone talk on the phone or text while in one... That would be so awesome. Here in California we do Not have the drivers portion of Drivers ed in the schools anymore. The requirement of behind the wheel instruction is low.
    • 1161 posts
    January 20, 2012 3:56 PM PST
    Well with my limited experience I will try to be short and kinda sweet. I have owned my own bike for just over 2 months and have had more close calls then I have had in my cage since I started driving. People pull out in front of me at the last minute, after sitting there waiting for me to get close. Pull into my lane while going down the road with nothing in front of them but a car in front and behind me. Like I was their damn target. And I'm not going to start with people chatting on phones or texting while driving ( or reading a book, paper, exc. and trying to eat, put on makeup, shave and drive). But telling ME as a motorcycle rider I need to be more safe because some moron is doing 2, 3, or more things while driving. But when my step son took drivers education in 2005 he was never told about looking out for motorcycles ( because it was not a concern of the "former" driving instructor). But as a motorcycle enthusiast back then even I knew that you should ALWAYS look twice or more not just one glance and gas because it only takes one mistake then you may have just killed some one. Just like driving in housing areas because you never know when a child may shoot out from behind a parked car or tree exc. But I was taught buy a Ambulance, Fire Engine, Military vehicles, (not to list all of the safety courses they went through either) drivers. But not every one gets that chance to learn from their dad and grandfathers like I did either with all their experience of driving so many different things and safety tips.

It should be in all drivers education and not just touched on like a 5 minute thing. Along with Semi-Trucks. But I'm just a CDL holder with a "S,P,T,N" on it. ("N" is Tanker, "T" is double and Triple trailers, "P" is driving with 16 or more passengers, "S" is for School Bus.). For those that did not know.
  • January 20, 2012 4:49 PM PST
    Seakers, That pretty much has been my point. There is not nearly enough time given to education on this subject here in California. Seems pretty simple to me. Thanks for dropping in and commenting. The dialogue is appreciated.
  • February 2, 2012 2:49 PM PST
    I work on the highways & see all sorts of stunt driving by idiots doing everything BUT driving.

I happened to be in the Calif DMV today & noticed TWO posters about watching out for motorcyclists scrunched in between a bunch of other stuff.  If I weren't a rider I more than likely would have totally overlooked them.

One thing I do like that Cal Trans has done is on their message boards posted "SHARE THE ROAD ~ WATCH FOR MOTORCYCLES" but even those are few & far between & mostly in the summer or during major rallies(I'm in Nor Cal so it would be Street Vibrations in Reno, NV)

As a highway worker I have said for years every person should have to go out there for a day & experience the lack of driving concentration from the general public before they can get licensed.

If I recall the last drivers test I took had 1 question regarding motorcycles.

I totally agree that anything to bring motorcyclists to the attention of cagers is a good thing. More is Better!

Seakers summed it well. We as riders have to be more vigilant than ever.