Left Hand Throttle

• 8 posts
    December 8, 2011 2:26 AM PST
    Does anybody know where I can get a twist throttle for the left hand side?

I have a friend with a prosthetic right arm and he just bought an '06 Honda CRF450X.  He's already got
    a Rekluse clutch so we just need a solution for the throttle.

People have sugested that I simply move the existing throttle tube to the left side and
    switch the cables around.  The cable can't be swapped because they are different sizes.  Others have
    suggested that we go to a thumb throttle but he wants to stay with a twist if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.
    • 1855 posts
    December 8, 2011 3:39 AM PST
    Not sure what you mean about "swapping" cables. Swap what? I don't see a problem with putting the right hand throttle control on the left side of the motorcycle though you may need an extended cable (readily available). Take it off and put it on the other side. Too simple, eh? Then again, I don't know a dang thing about Hondas.

Peace
  • December 8, 2011 4:56 AM PST
    Well I think the problem with just moving a right hand throttle to the left would be that it would work backwards. On the right the throttle body has the cable coming out towrd the front of the bike so when you twist it it pulls the cable. If you move it two the left side the cable would come out of the throttle body to the rear and slack when you twist.

Have you thought about a Harley type throttle assembly - the kind with two cables. If you moved it to the left you could use the throttle return cable as your throttle cable.
    • 5420 posts
    December 8, 2011 5:05 AM PST
    That is exactly what I thought... If you moved a standard throttle assembly to the other side the operation would be backwards.  And if you tried to run the cable from the rear entry into the body over the front of the throttle so it would twist the right way, it would probably be to sharp a bend and bind.

Here is a Dual Cable Throttle assembly that should worlk fine on either side... (just use the entry point toward the fron of the bike and leave the other empty - unless your bike uses a return cable)

http://www.debrix.com/Dual-Cable-Throttle-Assembly-1-Handlebar-Harley-p/80-5980.htm />
    If that is not the correct bar size they have a selection here... http://www.debrix.com/Harley-Throttle-Assemblies-s/222.htm />
    They are made for Harleys, but I'm sure you can find one to fit your bars.  You may also need to get a new cable depending on the routing on your Honda

• 8 posts
    December 9, 2011 7:59 AM PST
    Thanks guys. Actually, I did move the throttle to the left side. There was enough slack in both cables to make it without binding or getting too tight when the handlebars are turned.

It does use two cables. The problem lies in the fact that the diameter of the slack adjuster screw (the part that screws into the throttle tube) is different on the return cable than it is on the feed cable. So I can't just reverse the cables to allow it to twist back for acceleration. It currently twists forward for acceleration. I've been riding since '75 and I can't (and don't want to) get used to it. It's like backwards whiskey throttle!

Sounds like I need to get some custom cables made that have the same diameter slack adjusters and put them into a new throttle tube. Or, just get the cables made in reverse so they will fit the stock throttle tube the way I want them.

I guess this forum doesn't send an email to let me know anybody responded, huh?

Thanks for the input. Ride Safe!
    • 19037 posts
    December 9, 2011 9:48 PM PST
    Glad ya figured it out.

You should receive email notifications of comments to forums posted. I sent a PM to Lucky and you can bet he will respond.
    • 5420 posts
    December 10, 2011 2:07 AM PST
    That is in the forum settings - on the Forum Tabs above click the settings tab (far right) and you will see the email notifications settings.
    • 8 posts
    December 10, 2011 3:26 AM PST
    I got it. Thanks guys.
  • December 11, 2011 3:09 PM PST
    FINALLY, somebody posted in the dirt bike section!:-)
    • 3006 posts
    December 13, 2011 3:27 AM PST
    Interesting post,please let us know how you end up correcting the problem?
    • 8 posts
    December 13, 2011 3:33 AM PST
    Will do. Might not get around to it though. Went riding this past weekend and he did great on it. Since he's not an experienced rider, he never got used to twisting a throttle the usual way.

But if and when we resolve the situation, I'll definitely post it.
  • February 15, 2012 5:20 AM PST
    What you want is a hidden twist clutch - Exilecycles.com

It was originally designed to clear the bar of the clutch lever and puts the cable inside the handlebar. Action is the same, clutch or throttle. Same --- hope this helps
  • September 24, 2012 11:12 AM PDT
    I thought it would be a cool idea to run the reverse throttle, heck evil knievie did on his harley why not on a dirt bike.

see knievels custom bikes.

http://www.knievelcycles.com/
  • September 25, 2012 12:16 AM PDT
    Could you not possibly tap out the smaller hole in your throttle tube and use a double threaded nut in the bigger one to allow for switching the cables? The ferrules should still be the same size Im assuming??? Where theres a will theres a way!
    Good luck!
  • September 26, 2012 10:42 AM PDT
    granpaernie wrote...
    I thought it would be a cool idea to run the reverse throttle, heck evil knievie did on his harley why not on a dirt bike.

see knievels custom bikes.

http://www.knievelcycles.com/
    As far as I am aware Knievel had an early "Indian" throttle assembly on his bikes.....
    (early Indians had a left side throttle assembly)