NASCAR - "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines"

• 16834 posts
    March 9, 2013 5:00 AM PST
    “I don't want to be the pessimist, but it did not race as good as our generation five cars,” Hamlin said in a postrace interview on pit road. “This is more like what the generation five was at the beginning. The teams hadn't figured out how to get the aero balance right.”

Hamlin said he was surprised by the fine and vowed not to talk about competition issues again.
    • 719 posts
    March 9, 2013 5:39 AM PST
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    “I don't want to be the pessimist, but it did not race as good as our generation five cars,” Hamlin said in a postrace interview on pit road. “This is more like what the generation five was at the beginning. The teams hadn't figured out how to get the aero balance right.”

Hamlin said he was surprised by the fine and vowed not to talk about competition issues again.

thx john ,i agree the race was not vary good , not a fan of denny's but what he said did not warrant a $25000.00 fine bran dropped names at speed weeks and ony got called to the main office..................that nascars b.s
    • 5420 posts
    March 9, 2013 3:49 PM PST
    RevBigJohn wrote...

Damn, I can't believe he actually said that.  They should string him up and never let him race again! 

Hope you realize that was sarcasm.  I am having a hard time believing they are actually fining him for that!  I mean really a driver giving an opinion of the cars... come on.

• 5420 posts
    March 9, 2013 3:54 PM PST
    Okay, back to tomorrows Vegas race.  Interesting qualifying and starting grid.  I am predicting LOTS of lead changes very early in the race.  Look for the 48, 11, 14 and 24 to run to the front real early.

1     Brad Keselowski     2
    2     Clint Bowyer     15
    3     Jimmie Johnson     48
    4     Kasey Kahne     5
    5     Greg Biffle     16
    6     Denny Hamlin     11
    7     Ricky Stenhouse Jr     17
    8     Kevin Harvick     29
    9     Tony Stewart     14
    10     Jeff Gordon     24
    11     Martin Truex Jr     56
    12     Dale Earnhardt Jr     88
    13     Kyle Busch     18
    14     Ryan Newman     39
    15     Mark Martin     55
    16     Carl Edwards     99
    17     Paul Menard     27
    18     Matt Kenseth     20
    19     Marcos Ambrose
    20     Jeff Burton     31

• 16834 posts
    March 9, 2013 4:16 PM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...

Damn, I can't believe he actually said that.  They should string him up and never let him race again! 

Hope you realize that was sarcasm.  I am having a hard time believing they are actually fining him for that!  I mean really a driver giving an opinion of the cars... come on.

It's crazy ain't it?
    Guys put others through the catch fence, but hey the fans love it!
    You can kick another racers butt, "boys have at it".
    Anybody at JGR that says anything gets in trouble.

• 719 posts
    March 10, 2013 12:27 AM PST
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    Lucky wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...

It's crazy ain't it?
    Guys put others through the catch fence, but hey the fans love it!
    You can kick another racers butt, "boys have at it".
    Anybody at JGR that says anything gets in trouble.

remember the secret fines last year or the year b4 newman was 1 of the 3 thwas fined and was told not 2 talk about and we still dont know what he or the other 2 said i think 1 was boyer cant remember the 3rd is but just sayin ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nascar and there have it boys is a bunch of b s...i think nascar needs 2 let the drivers do there thing and race say whats on there minds and get rid of the restricker plates and lets race therating would b alot higher......................

• 719 posts
    March 10, 2013 12:32 AM PST
    i thought the nationwide race was pretty good nice to see sam in the victory lane i hope the cup race is as good i hate snoozers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and i will say this just 4 u big john lets go danica...........................lol
    • 16834 posts
    March 10, 2013 6:36 AM PDT
    I carry no ill will towards Danica nor any of the other current Sprint Cup drivers.
    But I believe the top several popular drivers are popular for other than their driving ability.
    That is all I have to say on the matter.
    • 9 posts
    March 10, 2013 9:00 AM PDT
    Nascar is a lot like the NFL, in some ways. The top most "popular" teams always seem to come out on top. And it's being noticed. Did you wonder why the two teams that made the SuperBowl, weren't the "usual". Same thing with Nascar. When it's always the same driver's winning, season after season, you gotta start to wonder. Winner's produce bottom lines. Period. But when we start complaining...watch where the money goes. This happened a few years back when Jeff Gordon was consistently winning. Then all of a sudden, we get a protoge' in Jimmy Johnson.
    Guess who won the Daytona 500? C'mon Ya'll..Vegas odds have the numbers right. Money talks.
    Just my two...

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 719 posts
    March 10, 2013 9:25 AM PDT
    i hear u john just pullin ur chain a little,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol
    • 16834 posts
    March 10, 2013 3:20 PM PDT
    Tweek wrote...
    Nascar is a lot like the NFL, in some ways. The top most "popular" teams always seem to come out on top. And it's being noticed. Did you wonder why the two teams that made the SuperBowl, weren't the "usual". Same thing with Nascar. When it's always the same driver's winning, season after season, you gotta start to wonder. Winner's produce bottom lines. Period. But when we start complaining...watch where the money goes. This happened a few years back when Jeff Gordon was consistently winning. Then all of a sudden, we get a protoge' in Jimmy Johnson.
    Guess who won the Daytona 500? C'mon Ya'll..Vegas odds have the numbers right. Money talks.
    Just my two...

Ride Free
    Tweek

That notion has crossed my mind a time or two, but then I think that there are to many corporations involved with sponsorship money and reputations on the line.
    Bill France Sr. (NASCAR Founder) had a saying if someone won too often he would tell them "you are stinking up the show".

• 844 posts
    March 13, 2013 2:43 AM PDT
    That's because the drivers that are winning are GREAT drivers and they will continue to win.
    • 5420 posts
    March 13, 2013 3:44 AM PDT
    In my opinion NASCAR like any sport has a snowball effect when it comes to winning and it is driven by a number of things.

First we all know that winning and being at the top of your sport has a lot to do with attitude and self-confidence, combined of course with ability. So when these rookies with ability and a winning attitude start winning it just builds that self-confidence and each win just continues to fuel that confident winning attitude. It is hard to win when you're not sure IF you can win. Once you win you KNOW you can win.

Second is winners gravitate toward winning teams. Whether it be the rookie phenom or an athlete who took a while to find his excellence, they will gravitate toward winning teams. Once you are on a winning team you're surrounded with other great players or crews who help you perform even better and owners that give you the best of everything, all helping you look good and perform good.

Third is the winning teams keep winning because they have the money to maintain the best team. No doubt that winning teams make more money than loosing teams. So the more money they make the more they can spend on continuing to build the team. Of course there are exceptions to this one when you have a foolish owner who doesn't take advantage of winning momentum by using their "winnings" to better the team. Like an NFL owner who wins the Superbowl then trades key players for financial gain and goes from Superbowl Champs to missing the playoffs the following year (you know who you are).

Forth is the intimidation factor.  Just being the champion or someone on a hot winning streak already has an advantage over the competitors.  Plain and simple no matter how hard you try not to, it is hard not to be intimidated by a chmpion or someone on a hot streak. Having anything on your mind - even the slighest little thought in the back of your mind - that one of the competitors is better than you is going to effect your performance.

And last but not least is the fans themselves. Everyone likes to cheer for winners, especially those who are part time fans and have no real favorite, so they cheer for the most popular (the guy or girl on the Wheaties box). Again goes back to the athlete's motivation and self-confidence. It is much easier to perform at your best when the entire crowd is cheering for you.

So yep, winners will continue to win more and more and if you are going to knock off a champion you had better come prepared with your absolute best game!
    • 16834 posts
    March 13, 2013 5:46 AM PDT
    Very well put my friend.

One question is Joey Logano wearing Delana Harvick's (Shell/Pennzoil) fire suit? :-)
    • 5420 posts
    March 14, 2013 5:11 AM PDT
    That was mean John... but you may be right!
    • 16834 posts
    March 14, 2013 3:51 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    That was mean John... but you may be right!

That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw Joey in pre-Daytona photos.
    Joey is who Deb roots for, so.................
    My friend Scott is a Matt Kenseth fan, I told him JGR put a booster seat in the 20 for him.

• 844 posts
    March 14, 2013 5:08 PM PDT
    Great post on Winning Lucky!

Funny Stuff John!

We got Bristol this weekend.  Get ready for some bumping and banging!!!

• 16834 posts
    March 14, 2013 5:14 PM PDT
    I'm glad Bristol is back to the old configuration, boys have at it! :-)
    • 5420 posts
    March 14, 2013 5:56 PM PDT
    Jeff Gordon having a little fun.....

• 5420 posts
    March 17, 2013 4:03 AM PDT
    Is it just me or has the Official NASCAR website (nascar.com) become almost impossible to use.  I am pretty good with this internet stuff, but I can't find a damn thing I am looking for on NASCAR.com anymore.

Just go there and try to find the starting grid for today's race!!!   I finally had to go to ESPN to find what I was looking for!

• 719 posts
    March 17, 2013 6:21 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Is it just me or has the Official NASCAR website (nascar.com) become almost impossible to use.  I am pretty good with this internet stuff, but I can't find a damn thing I am looking for on NASCAR.com anymore.

Just go there and try to find the starting grid for today's race!!!   I finally had to go to ESPN to find what I was looking for!

no its not just you i have been bitchin about it every since the change i think it sucks
  • March 17, 2013 7:56 AM PDT
    Yeah, it sucks!! All I wanted to do was see the starting order - pfffft
    • 719 posts
    March 17, 2013 8:50 AM PDT
    way to go kasey good win for chevy
    • 16834 posts
    March 17, 2013 9:32 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...

It sucks big time, things popping up, can't find stuff..........

Denny dropped to 6th in points after hitting everything but the pace car.

• 719 posts
    March 17, 2013 9:37 AM PDT
    yeah but he wouldnt get out of the car when joey got in his face next week should be interesting joey get his pay back