NASCAR - "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines"

• 5420 posts
    October 8, 2012 2:34 AM PDT
    Another crazy finish at Talladega yesterday with a Green, White, Checkered finish turning into a 25 car pile-up on the final lap with Kenseth somehow staying clear of everything to take the win. I think I have seen more G,W, C finishes and big crashes on the final lap this year than any other year - a little of drivers really pushing the final lap and the cars all being so close in the final lap.

Well just 6 more to go and I am hoping the Chase race goes right down to Homestead with three of more drivers having a shot at it!
    • 16831 posts
    October 8, 2012 8:22 AM PDT
    After riding in the back most of the race Hamlin managed 14th due to the "big one".
    He is only 23 points out of the lead in 3rd. :-)

Kurt Busch pulled his last stupid move for James Finch.
    Now he will have a whole new team to embarrass.
    • 844 posts
    October 8, 2012 12:36 PM PDT
    Still like 10 or 12 drivers within a hundred points. I'm hoping they can all stay there so it comes down to Homestead to decide the Champion
    • 16831 posts
    October 11, 2012 7:02 AM PDT
    CONCORD, N.C. — Feeling the effects of two hard crashes in less than six weeks, Dale Earnhardt Jr. knew something was wrong when he continued to experience headaches earlier this week.

Those headaches, caused by concussions suffered in crashes at Kansas Speedway Aug. 29 and Sunday at Talladega Superspeedway, will force him to miss the next two NASCAR Sprint Cup races.

Earnhardt, who is 11th in the Chase for the Sprint Cup standings, will miss at least Saturday’s race at Charlotte Motor Speedway and next week’s Chase race at Kansas Speedway.

Regan Smith will replace Earnhardt in the No. 88 Hendrick Motorsports car in the next two races.

After suffering from headaches on Sunday and Monday after the Talladega crash, Earnhardt consulted with his sister, Kelley Earnhardt Miller, and agreed to visit Dr. Jerry Petty, a Charlotte neurosurgeon and NASCAR consultant. After going through a battery of tests on Tuesday and Wednesday, Petty concluded that he could not clear Earnhardt to race for at least two weeks.

Earnhardt, who turned 38 on Wednesday, could be out longer, as Petty will have to approve his return.

“I knew having two concussions back-to-back was not a good thing,” Earnhardt said Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway as Cup teams began to prepare for practice for Saturday's race. “So I needed to go see somebody regardless of whether I wanted to get out of the car or not. Just for my own well-being—if I didn't need to go get in a racecar and get hit again, I needed somebody to tell me that because I was going to have a hard time making that decision for myself.

“I feel perfectly fine, but I don't want to keep getting hit in the head.”

MORE: Concussion expert says skipping races 'wise decision'

Earnhardt will not be allowed to race again until he stops experiencing headaches for four or five days in a row, said Petty, who has treated dozens of NASCAR drivers over the years and also has treated members of the NFL’s Carolina Panthers. Petty said he would then try to induce a headache and if Earnhardt still feels fine, he would drive a racecar for a few laps to make sure he was OK before being cleared to race.

“I trust (Dr. Petty’s) opinion,” Earnhardt said. “That's why I went to see him. He's been a good friend of mine for a long time and has helped me through a lot of injuries before, so I believe when he tells me I don't need to be in the car and I need to take a couple weeks off that that's what I need to do.”

Earnhardt, who suffered a concussion in a 2002 accident at California Speedway, wrecked hard during a tire test Aug. 29 at Kansas Speedway, an accident that he said registered 40 Gs of G-force. He said he wrecked after blowing a right-front tire.

“I remember everything about that accident and everything after that accident, but I knew that I didn't feel … you know your body, and you know how your mind works, and I knew something was just not quite right,” he said.

He then took what he said was a 20-G hit during another crash Sunday at Talladega. Earnhardt was one of 24 drivers swept into a wild, multicar crash on the final lap at Talladega. His car was hit by another car, sending him spinning down the track.

“I was hit in the left rear quarterpanel, and it was sort of an odd kind of a collision where the car spun around really quick and just sort of disoriented me,” Earnhardt said of the crash at Talladega.

Earnhardt said he was examined by doctors in an ambulance after his wreck at Kansas Speedway. NASCAR officials did not require him to see another doctor. Earnhardt admitted he was only “80 percent” two weeks after the Kansas accident. He ran in races at Atlanta, Richmond, Chicago, New Hampshire and Dover after the Kansas crash and before Sunday’s race at Talladega.
    Dale Earnhardt Jr. sustained his concussion in the melee that collected 24 cars on the final lap at Talladega. (AP Photo)

He said he had told crew chief Steve Letarte that the team might need a backup driver at Atlanta Motor Speedway, the race that came five days after the Kansas accident, but that he eventually felt good enough to race.

“I regret not seeing somebody (again) after that happened,” Earnhardt said. “I was stubborn, and I'd had concussions before and thought I knew what I was dealing with and felt like that I was capable of doing my job.”

Earnhardt was not examined by doctors at Talladega because he was able to drive his car away from the scene of the accident and across the finish line. He finally went to see Dr. Petty on Tuesday.

“If I was to volunteer myself to medical attention (after Kansas) and be removed from the car, I didn't know how difficult it would be to get back in,” Earnhardt said. “But I was honest with Steve and told Steve, I said, ‘When we get to Atlanta and if I don't feel good, I'm going to be honest with you and tell you that we need to have something as a backup plan for me to get out of the car.’

“I wasn't going to drive the car if I felt like I was going to deal my crew chief and my team a short hand that weekend. That’s kind of the same reason I waited until (mid-week).”

Earnhardt, whose father died of a severe head injury following a crash on the final lap of the 2001 Daytona 500, said that the Sprint Cup cars he races are “incredibly safe.”

“The cars are fine,” he said. “There's just some things that you can't control. … I have no worries about that.

Petty said that it is encouraging that Earnhardt is only suffering from headaches. His neurological and MRI tests showed no damage to his head or brain.

“His eyes did what they were supposed to do, his balance tests and so forth are perfect,” Petty said. “The biggest, the one test, the one symptom that is more important than all the tests is headache, and as long as there's any headache, the brain is not healed.

“And until that's healed and had some time to rest and then you provoke it again and can't make it happen again, then you feel like you're on the road to recovery.”

Team owner Rick Hendrick said Earnhardt should be commended for seeking treatment on his own.

“A lot of guys would try to play hurt, but when the doctor tells you if you get hit again like right away, it could be catastrophic, so I think this deal has worked out extremely as well as it could,” Hendrick said.

Earnhardt hopes to be able to finish the season. He won the race at Michigan International Speedway June 17 and was second in points at the end of the 26-race regular season. He has gotten off to a slow start in the 10-race Chase, however, and fell to 11th in the standings after a 20th-place finish last week at Talladega.

“I feel perfectly normal and feel like I could compete if I were allowed to compete this weekend,” Earnhardt said. “But I think that the basis of this whole deal is that I've had two concussions in the last four to five weeks, and you can't layer concussions.

“It gets extremely dangerous. … It’s frustrating (but) I really didn’t get to make the decision. I left it in the hands of the docs, and I’m going to do what they tell me to do.”
    • 5420 posts
    October 11, 2012 8:00 AM PDT
    That has to be frustrating for him this late in the season, but I am glad to hear he is doing what the doctor ordered.
    • 16831 posts
    October 12, 2012 5:06 AM PDT
    His most consistent season in years, then this happens.
    • 16831 posts
    October 14, 2012 4:01 AM PDT
    Oh boy what a race last night! :-)
    • 5420 posts
    October 14, 2012 5:09 AM PDT
    That was a great race. Really like that strategy Denny's crew went with topping the fuel on the yellow just a few laps after the green flag pit... PAID OFF. I really thought Boyer was going to run out of fuel on that last lap. I was just waiting and waiting to see him drop to the apron. One more lap would have done it!

Well no change in position for the top three in the chase, but definitely brought Hamlin and Johnson a lot closer to Keselowski.

5 to go and all great race tracks! Should be one of the best season finishes in a while.
    • 16831 posts
    October 14, 2012 8:59 AM PDT
    Oh yes!
    Lasts year Stewart won by 1 point due to more wins, Keselowski and Hamlin both have 5 wins.
    I thought of that last night while rooting for Hamlin to pass Boyer. :-)
    • 5420 posts
    October 27, 2012 4:12 AM PDT
    Here we go back to Martinsville for some good ol' short track racing.

Looking like Denny has got his work cut out for him being 20 points back with 4 races to go. But he did have some good qualifying and practice this week in Martinsville so hoping he can bring it a lot closer. He's got a 3rd row start with Keselowski back in row 16, but Johnson does have the pole. May see a shake up at the top this weekend.

Vegas has Hamlin favored to win just slightly over Johnson with Keselowski picked tied for 4th. If it happens to finish that way (with Brad finishing 5ht) and Hamlin can pick up 4 or 5 bonus points, we could have the top 3 within 10 points and 3 races to go!

Vegas Odds for the Tums Fast Relief 500 @ Martinsville

Denny Hamlin 7-2
    Jimmie Johnson 4-1
    Jeff Gordon 7-1
    Tony Stewart 8-1
    Brad Keselowski 8-1
    Kyle Busch 10-1
    Kasey Kahne 12-1
    Dale Earnhardt Jr 12-1
    Clint Bowyer 15-1
    Kevin Harvick 18-1
    Martin Truex Jr. 18-1
    Ryan Newman 25-1
    Joey Lagano 40-1
    • 844 posts
    October 27, 2012 8:04 AM PDT
    If Denny won, Kislowski finished 20 and Jimmy finished 10 we could have a 3 way tie, or really close depending on bonus points.

• 16831 posts
    October 27, 2012 9:49 AM PDT
    Denny won the truck race starting from the back, he starts 5th tomorrow. :-)
    • 5420 posts
    October 28, 2012 9:28 AM PDT
    What the heel happened?!?!?!
    Just got home from the motorcycle swap meet and saw the race results, but haven't had a chance to watch the race (I taped it). But Denny's now in 5th place, 49 points out! Damn, that ain't what was supposed to happen!
    • 16831 posts
    October 28, 2012 4:32 PM PDT
    After getting 2 "speeding on pit row" penalties (something he had not done all year elsewhere) and driving back to the lead both times his car was used up.
    • 5420 posts
    November 9, 2012 7:04 AM PST
    Just two races left and it looks like it's down to Jimmy or Brad.

Ladies & Gentlemen place your bets...
    • 16831 posts
    November 9, 2012 2:29 PM PST
    Denny is done, I'm hoping Clint Bowyer can pull off a miracle.
    • 5420 posts
    November 11, 2012 2:16 AM PST
    That would take a miracle! But you never know Brad and Jimmy could wind up with a DNF this week and Clint would be right up there. Short of that I think it is going to be a two car race in Homestead. The line for today giving them 1 and two...

Jimmie Johnson 4-1
    Brad Keselowski 5-1
    Denny Hamlin 6-1
    Kyle Busch 8-1
    Kasey Kahne 8-1
    Tony Stewart 12-1
    Jeff Gordon 12-1
    Clint Bowyer 12-1
    Dale Earnhardt Jr. 12-1
    Mark Martin 15-1

Denny had a great year and should be damn proud of the it! Amazing how one race in the chase can take you right out of it... but this is the "playoffs" !
    • 16831 posts
    November 11, 2012 4:49 AM PST
    Indeed.
    The last few years have gone to the wire, and that's a good thing.
    • 5420 posts
    November 11, 2012 12:08 PM PST
    And the sparks flew today!!!!!

Still kind of a two man race, but picking up 20 points in Homestead may be tough, so I guessing Keselowski will be crowned champion
    • 16831 posts
    November 11, 2012 3:24 PM PST
    Clint Bowyer got his miracle and lost it as fast.

In the final mealy Hamlin got a second place that elevated him to 5th in the chase, I'm just happy he wasn't caught up in the wreaks or riots. :-)
    • 16831 posts
    November 29, 2012 8:17 AM PST

Sprint Cup cars for 2013

• 5420 posts
    November 29, 2012 8:48 AM PST
    I like the look of the Chevy the best!
    • 16831 posts
    November 30, 2012 6:07 AM PST
    Me too.
    I think it has allot to do with the paint scheme, plus having a number on the door.
    • 834 posts
    December 3, 2012 2:14 AM PST
    That is a good looking paint job on the Chevy!!!
    • 16831 posts
    December 31, 2012 12:59 PM PST
    Sprint Cup | NEXT RACE: Shootout
    - Feb. 16, 2013