NASCAR - "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines"

• February 17, 2013 6:45 PM PST
    NASCAR needed the hype that surrounds her. Now, how big of a wreck will she cause?
  • February 18, 2013 12:00 AM PST
    I guess we've got to say Lady and Gentlemen, start your engines. No Irvan, no Earnhardt Sr., no Petty, no Allison. I guess if I pull for anybody it will be Hamlin. I just like the boy for some reason. Love the way Kyle Bush drives, but can't stomach him or his spoiled brat brother. I pass Kyle's truck shop on the way to work, and always feel the need to throw something at it. And Rev.Big John, how bout that Force girl! Courtney took the win yesterday. A chip off the ol' block. Hope to get to see them in Charlotte soon. Oh yeah, Sarge is a good guy, so don't be too hard on him. If you didn't watch yesterday, check out the wreck Antron Brown had in T/F. I thought he was dead for sure. I love my racing.
  • February 18, 2013 1:45 AM PST
    I guess Danica can really drive as long as she has the track to herself. Hmm...I guess she doesn't play well with others.
    • 5417 posts
    February 18, 2013 2:10 AM PST
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yep, right up there in the front.

• February 18, 2013 3:29 AM PST
    I'm going to try and watch Nascar this weekend since all the hype of a beautiful woman like Danica Patrick will start first in line. If the weather is good then I'll DVR it. If the Daytona 500 race is their biggest race then why do they have it scheduled first race of the year. Kind of odd to me. Btw I admit that I know very little about Nascar and even less about the drivers etc.
    • 5417 posts
    February 18, 2013 3:43 AM PST
    One of the reasons that Daytona is the biggest race of the year is because it's the first. Drivers and fans have been waiting all winter to see whos gonna do what and how the new cars will perform.

It is also big just because it is Daytona.
    • 16795 posts
    February 18, 2013 5:05 AM PST
    markyd wrote...
    And Rev.Big John, how bout that Force girl! Courtney took the win yesterday. A chip off the ol' block. Hope to get to see them in Charlotte soon. Oh yeah, Sarge is a good guy, so don't be too hard on him. If you didn't watch yesterday, check out the wreck Antron Brown had in T/F. I thought he was dead for sure. I love my racing.

Cortney did real good. Britney as well for getting into the show.
    I'm glad they got that canopy aproved by NHRA, without it ol' Antron wouldn't have came out of that like he did.

• February 18, 2013 5:11 AM PST
    I quit watch all together for a while. I can't stand all the drama these days. I liked the get in the car, put your foot down, win it or wreck it days. If there was a problem child, they just let the drivers sort it out behind the trailers. I'm starting to get the itch again but it still ain't the same. I still say put Richard Petty back in the car. Look what retirement did for Mark Martin and Brett Farve each time they did!
    • 16795 posts
    February 18, 2013 5:11 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yep, right up there in the front.

I sure hope she don't get skiddish like Kane the other night when Hamlin tried to push him, Denny would have never been near the "Big One" Danica's owner Tony Stewart started.

• February 18, 2013 8:08 AM PST
    You guys crack me up with your "Danica" bashing. I'm not a big Danica fan but face it boyz, it's not the "Good Ol'Boyz" exclusive sports anymore. As a female stock car driver myself having to compete with many that has the same "narrow" opinion of female drivers, all I can say is.............."IN YOUR FACE" the "girl" got the pole".

I for one hopes she makes everyone eat their words. You don't get to that level (man or woman) without talent. They wouldn't take a chance putting a driver on the track at that speed that doesn't qualify and endanger the other drivers.

I don't see anyone picking on the new "male" drivers when they make a mistake. It's always a "girl" thing......................geeezzzzzzzzz

Oh yeah, I'll leave you with just one more thought to ponder. When we do kick you ass' (and we do), it's just that much sweeter..................
    Enjoy the race..........................
    • 5417 posts
    February 18, 2013 9:29 AM PST
    It's just all in fun... Besides I don't pick on Danica because she is a girl... I pick on her because she crashes so much and she does suck up the publicity.  Like I told my oldest son when he wanted to be the only one on the track team wearing bright yellow running shoes... if you are going to make yourself stand out, you better be damn sure you can back it up with a performance. 

I have also been known to pick on Jeff Gordon when he would crash right after getting his picture on a cereal box.

Oh yeah, and ever since Taledega Nights and Juan Pablo Montoya I've never been a fan of open wheel racers coming to NASCAR

All kidding aside, I would like to see her take advantage of the poll, have a great race and finish in the top somewhere.  I root for first time winners in any major competition.  But if she crashes, its no holds barred on the comments.

• 16795 posts
    February 18, 2013 2:28 PM PST
    RaceAngel wrote...
    You guys crack me up with your "Danica" bashing. I'm not a big Danica fan but face it boyz, it's not the "Good Ol'Boyz" exclusive sports anymore. As a female stock car driver myself having to compete with many that has the same "narrow" opinion of female drivers, all I can say is.............."IN YOUR FACE" the "girl" got the pole".

I for one hopes she makes everyone eat their words. You don't get to that level (man or woman) without talent. They wouldn't take a chance putting a driver on the track at that speed that doesn't qualify and endanger the other drivers.

I don't see anyone picking on the new "male" drivers when they make a mistake. It's always a "girl" thing......................geeezzzzzzzzz

Oh yeah, I'll leave you with just one more thought to ponder. When we do kick you ass' (and we do), it's just that much sweeter..................

Your grievance has no merit with me young lady!
    I'm going on past races while speaking about Danica Patrick.
    Did you read what I said about Kane and Stewart?, or the Force girls?

• February 19, 2013 4:37 AM PST
    Hey guys I didn't take any offense at all. And think Jeff Gordon is the other girl, lol. Juan Pablo happens to be my favorite driver just because I was at a race one time sitting in the Jimmy Johnson section and they were booing every time Juan came by. l decided to root for him right then and there. About got thrown out of the grandstands but had a great time aggetating the rest of the people.

And RevBigJohn.............................Hmm, ok..............don't care.

All in fun
    • 5417 posts
    February 19, 2013 4:52 AM PST
    Yep, two girls starting in the first row!!!
  • February 19, 2013 1:49 PM PST
    It seems like no one really dominates Daytona that's why i like it, the kick off of racing season,means that much closer to riding season, who knows maybe one of those girls in the front row will win.
    Doubt it
    • 16795 posts
    February 19, 2013 3:08 PM PST
    RaceAngel wrote...

And RevBigJohn.............................Hmm, ok..............don't care.

Good, you've made my day.

• February 24, 2013 9:07 AM PST
    I just finished watching my first Daytona 500 and have to say it was rather entertaining. Danica hung in there all day and had a some bad luck in the last part of the final lap. She is how should I say it Rather easy to look at!!! One question I had was where in the hell did they get the design of that landspeed looking suitable for the Bonneville salt flats trophy, man that is one ugly hunk of metal. Go # 10 me and the wife are fans!!
    • 9 posts
    February 24, 2013 11:04 AM PST
    RaceAngel wrote...

I started racin' cars when I was fourteen.  No license, just me, a car I borrowed and a track.  You think I didn't take any flak?  O...K.  
    When you're a woman, you take flak for everything under the sun, but especially when you try to walk in a man's shoes.  Listen, for me,
    it was NEVER about gender.  It was about, could "I" do it or not.  I've loved the smell of gasoline, since I could walk.  You really think, 
    I wasn't gonna "try"???  Damn, Ya'll, why does it always come down to gender, for Godsakes?  

The problem here, that I have always seen, IMHO, is this...
    There is nothing on this planet, that any ONE of us can or cannot do, due to gender.
    The problem is, any one of us thinking that it's their God given right, exclusively.
    And here's why...

Someone's ALWAYS gonna come along to show you, just how wrong that line of thinkin' is.

To RaceAngel, 
    I just gotta say tho...
    "IN YOUR FACE" the "girl" got the pole"   (...don't we always?)
    may not be the way, to convince a guy of anything...lol  
    Love ALL Ya'll

Ride Free
    Tweek

• February 24, 2013 11:11 AM PST
    Race?? What race,....??
    • 5417 posts
    February 24, 2013 11:42 AM PST
    Well not the most exciting Daytona 500 I've seen, but a good race all in all. Although I did miss a lot of it because I am kind of sick and I kept falling asleep from the flu medicine.
    • 44 posts
    February 24, 2013 11:56 AM PST
    Hope you get to feeliing better Lucky As far as the race it was ok now when Dega gets here we will see whos got it
  • February 24, 2013 12:20 PM PST
    Well JJ wins and Junor's finished 2nd. The Hendrick's team has a great start to the season. Danica had a good day. She ran most of the day in third place and she stayed upfront and had a top ten finish. All in all a good day of racing. So what's this new generation six car all about?
  • February 24, 2013 1:10 PM PST
    The new gen6 car looks a lot more like the cars on the street. They actually do have the front ends of the cars on them. The drivers seem to like them more than the old ones. I do like the look. Fords look like fords, Chevy like Chevy. Glad Danica did well. I believe she takes a lot of undeserved crap. Jr. did good too, but glad to see Mark Martin in there for us old timers!
    • 5417 posts
    February 25, 2013 2:08 AM PST
    Feeling a little better today so I got up early and watch the parts of the race I dozed off during yesterday. For some reason it just didn't feel like the DAYTONA 500, the one drivers usually pull out all stops to win. To me it seemed like a lot of drivers were too content in the positions they were in and I didn't see a whole lot of them taking chances. Maybe they are still getting used to the new cars?

And since I am the first to rib Danaka when she crashes, I will also give credit where credit is due. She ran a hell of a race staying in the top 10 for pretty much the entire race.

Since we were so aware of who the poll sitter was, and the cameras watched her so closely, I noticed something for the first time. I am not sure if that "premium" pit the poll sitter gets is really an advantage. It seems like it would be great if you were always leading the pack into the pits going to the last spot and being the first one out, but that don't happen all that often. It looked to be more of a disadvantage because you have to merge into a whole bunch of cars and you really don't have the room to get to speed before the line where you can resume race speed.

I do like the looks of the new cars, and I really like being able to easily identify the manufacturer when you see them on the track... a Chevy looks like a Chevy. Lets see if they get a little more competitive as they become more accustomed to the new style cars.

I will be interesting to see how they do with the new cars on a slightly smaller track next week in Phoenix, and then the end of the month in Bristol.
  • February 25, 2013 2:36 AM PST
    Hey Tweek, not trying to convince anyone of anything. It is what it is and I enjoy watching women excel in sports in general. Just a little sweeter when they break barriers.

With that said, my favorite highlight of the weekend was Ronda Ramsey.

Life is good and I'll be on the throttle this Sat. night at the PAS. Hope everyone has a great weekend.