Is it just me?

• November 11, 2011 3:02 AM PST
    I'm still trying to get used to the windshield concept on my new Switch and sometimes them big wind gusts can really get hold of the bike and you get those moments of zero control caused by the pushing of the wind! Is this normal and something to just get used to or should I just ditch the damn thing? 
    • 16840 posts
    November 11, 2011 4:12 AM PST
    I had that problem way back with the WLA with just a windshield, but not with The Ultra with the windshield and fairing combo.
  • November 11, 2011 5:30 AM PST
    Yeah well I'm not interested in an Ultra at this time and I suppose since it's a quick detach windshield I can just hang it up in the garage!:-)
    • 846 posts
    November 11, 2011 6:18 AM PST
    My Road King has a extend windshield due to the fact its a PD model and I notice a little more wind buffeting then the standard size windshield and a little more buffeting then when its off. So it is a factor to consider. But not to the extent of zero control. It maybe a ajustment period with using it and the wind. But like you mention you can alway take it off. That's the option I like with the RK and Switchback. I use the windshield for long trips and cooler weather. Other times it off and in the grarge.
    • 5420 posts
    November 11, 2011 6:29 AM PST
    No it's not just you. Takes some getting used to. When I first got my Road King I went through the same thing. First ride I took was out to Palm Springs right past the windmill farms. Man talk about getting blown around!!! Now I am just used to it and just hold on a little tighter and lean into the stronger winds. Another thing I went through when I first started riding with a windshield is I was always hearing little noises that just didn't sound right. But after a while I realized that without the wind noise you can here things like a slight rattle in shifter linkage.

I know a lot of people have cut their windshields down a few inches, mostly to get the top of the windshield below their line of sight. Not sure how much difference it would make on wind gusts getting a hold of it.

Like just about everything with riding, it's all about personal preference.

Now I'm spoiled and don't like riding anywhere except local hops without the windshield.
    • 1855 posts
    November 11, 2011 10:15 AM PST
    Install those wind diverters or whatever they are called on your front end. They will cut down on that updraft where the wind travels up your leg and reigns avoc with your beard. I've not had any problems with excesssive thrashing about on my RoadKing however. When, when, when my Switchback comes in I'm going to put the diverters on the front forks. I have a detachable on my FXDWG but there are no after market wind diverters so the wind will hit me in one spot.....under the chin. When it's cold all the cold air is concentrated there. I'd rather take the windshield off my WG and get use to being cold all over than just in the face. Concentrated cold is a beetch. It's like have one foot soakinng wet. I guess I'll have to see about the wind effect when, when, when, my Switchback comes in....now scheduled for Dec. 23rd. WTF over!!!!

Peace
    • 3006 posts
    November 12, 2011 3:00 AM PST
    Been using a Memphis Shades HellCat W/S for the last 10 years on my VTX,the only time I get buffeted hard is crossing any of the bay area bridges,talk about pucker factor,nothing quite like getting lifted off the pavement n pushed across 4 lanes by a strong gust ! I really dont think the W/S increases or makes the action worse,I wouldnt drive far without one,its great protection on the freeway.Make sure you have it properly adjusted,thats critical for maximum comfort.
    • 7 posts
    November 12, 2011 3:31 AM PST
    ... windshields are for cars ;-) Hang it in the garage :-))

( to each their own - of course )
    • 2072 posts
    November 12, 2011 10:51 AM PST
    I had that same problem but living in the central valley with all the bugs really didn't want to part with it. Found a set of lowers on flea-bay for a really good price. World of difference. Now I have a full faring but retained the lowers. Very nice combination !!!
    • 7 posts
    November 13, 2011 1:58 AM PST
    @BlvdCruiser:

He he... love those valley bugs :-) Especially around the rice fields... by time I'm home, I've already had dinner ;-)
  • November 15, 2011 11:59 AM PST
    ScottWelker wrote...
    ... windshields are for cars ;-) Hang it in the garage :-))

( to each their own - of course )

Scott I knew I liked you for some reason! LOL

• November 15, 2011 12:00 PM PST
    Thanks fellers, I'll check out the wind diverters.
    • 567 posts
    November 15, 2011 12:37 PM PST
    I figure if'n you aren't comfortable with the windshield then don't use it. No one ever said you hafta have a windshield on your bike.
    Ride YOUR ride .. not someone else's vision of your ride.
  • November 15, 2011 12:49 PM PST
    Lower wind deflectors.
    • 2 posts
    November 15, 2011 2:39 PM PST
    Opinion worth what I'm charging you for it.

Never rode an anything with a windshield but I am about as broad as one.
    When I got the Ulysses the dealer set the suspension for my weight - The ride on slab was really "nervous"; if it was windy was constantly twitching.
    Readjusted the suspension - the front for somebody 25# heavier than I & the rear for someone 25# lighter - so that it squatted in the rear
    Adjusted the tire pressures - 2 psi increments - Ended up w/ front tire at spec & rear 4 psi over spec
    Result - tracks like it was on rails - twisties, slab, thru tornadoes

Suggest you start tweaking w/ the suspension & tire pressures
  • November 16, 2011 3:07 AM PST
    Damn it Savage now you're expecting me to think? LOL
    • 2 posts
    November 16, 2011 11:43 AM PST
    Black9 wrote...
    Damn it Savage now you're expecting me to think? LOL

Motorcycles, rifles & a wife - If you can't tweak them for optimal performance why have them?
    If you just want to jump on & go get an F150, a Remington 870 & hookers
  • November 17, 2011 1:43 AM PST
    I don't do Fords, prefer Smith and Wesson, Colt and Springfield Arms weapons and don't want to try to explain hookers to the wife! LOL