Just wanted a new tire put on!!

• September 30, 2011 1:55 AM PDT
      Well first I had a screw in my tire.So i ordered a tire had it sent to the bike shop.Because they couldnt even get the tire that i wanted.Metezeler 210/50 zr17.Then,They showed me that the axle was stripped.I ordered an axle.Now its all there and they cant get it apart.They cant get the old axle to come out,and, upon trying messed up my wheel bearings,so i ordered fricken wheel bearings and had them sent there and had to leave my bike.They are trying so hard to get the axle out it was starting to spread my swingarm apart.So heres my question.Why is it ,that nothing ever just works the way it is supposed to?Fricken screw in my tire is gonna end up costing me a arm and a leg,if they can even get it apart.Wooooooossssssaaaaaaa deep breaths, hahah

I just want to ride it.
    • 395 posts
    September 30, 2011 2:26 AM PDT
    by the time they are done you'll have a whole new bike!!!!! yes, i know, that doesn't help. that's the way it seems to go with vehicles....it's always some thing else...hope they get it right for you soon.
  • September 30, 2011 3:09 AM PDT
    Soon enough you got to learn how to do this stuff yourself some shops will take advantage of a novice (cars too). You can see I drive an '84 V65 and to find a mechanic that even knows how to work on these old V4's is a rare thing. And yes it still screams - with no windshield I could not hold on after 152 Good Luck, John
  • September 30, 2011 5:09 AM PDT
    Sounds like what could go wrong, has. You might wan't to look into finding another shop for future maintenance issues or buy a service manual and get familiar with your ride. Good luck and be safe out there.
  • September 30, 2011 6:36 AM PDT
    I am not understanding why a reputable dealer/repair facility would NOT be able to change out a tire & axle
    ....they do this stuff every day..right ???

I am also not understanding the axle being stripped out....you mean the threads that hold the axle onto the bike?
    Wonder if the axle was stripped before they got ahold of your bike??
    And they are bending the swingarm trying to get the axle off? Who are these guys....are they even bike mechanics?

The bearings should be on the Shop as the Shop messed em up, the bearings were OK before the Shop tried to "fix" the tire.

I would absolutely be gathering up my parts and heading out looking for a different Shop to fix what these guys have messed up. AND I would expect a NO CHARGE receipt from the first guys. AND I would expect the first guys to PAY for the bearings PLUS any other damages they have done to your bike ( swing arm, bearings, possible re-tooling the axle or replacement of the axle).
  • September 30, 2011 6:44 AM PDT
    Man when it rains it pours!

I agree with the post above. You should not be responsible to pay for any parts or labor for damages done by the shop.
  • October 1, 2011 10:30 AM PDT
    My friggin blood is startin to boil. Man, get ur bike the hell outta there and don't ever go back. If its the typical OEM sales org that did that to you, yes, you do have legal recourse, although, how much would it cost you in time and $$$? If it just the principle of the thing, go to court, otherwise forget what happened and rember the shop and mechanic (alleged mechanic). Keep all your reciepts from the first shop so you can explain the quality of service to other riders and don't miss a chance to do so. Remember, you had it repaired somewhere and you can tell another rider to check it out at the second shop.

I have never seen a stripped axle other than threads and even that was rare. A worn out axle does happen, although it is about as rare as a $3 bill. Your bearings will go long before the axle. While I cant see your bike AND I rarely do sport bikes, I CAN"T give you an authoratative opinion, however, if there are pinch bolts on your bike they may not have known it and that MAY be why they could'nt get the axel out.

Hey, man, I don't do sport bikes, but if your around my shop some day, email me I'll set a time to talk to you, in the event that you need something I can do for you I will, otherwise I'll refer you to a first class, top of the line shop that LOVES sport bikes and is into racing them.

You now know the meaning of: If you don't know your bikes you better know your mechanic. Very seriously, my blood is turing to gas and I need a cig. Stop by sometime.
  • October 3, 2011 3:17 AM PDT
    I couldn't agree more Bum, and one thing you should remember when taking your bike to a shop or dealer play stupid. If they **** it up you make sure to call them on it! You shouldn't be buying part after part, what they should do is look it over and tell you what they found is wrong with it. They probably would have replaced your wheel bearings and so forth in the first place. Let the mechanics live or die on their own, don't step in or offer to help. Tell them what  tire you want and if they can't find it go some place else. Not being able to find your tire tells me two things 1) they're trying to sell you what they already have or 2) they don't have the best report with any of the tire manufacturing companies or they're too lazy to check.
  • October 3, 2011 3:32 AM PDT
    Bearings? That bike doesn't look that old - get it out of there and buy a factory service manual and do it yourself. You could of plugged it for a temp fix, split the seal on the rim and patched it on the bike. Il'l bet they missed something else that holds the bolt it place like tensioners or pinch bolts and screwed it up themselves. Don't give up w/o a fight