Back-road maps - city to city like Mapquest for bikers

• September 27, 2011 9:51 AM PDT
     Has anyone seen a site that excludes Interstates when giving directions.  Not GPS software but a searchable direction site like Gmaps or Mapquest but one you can choose what type of routes?  Like state highways only, non-interstate, etc. John    When doing major miles I get very bored on a long flat highway 
    • 5420 posts
    September 27, 2011 9:56 AM PDT
  • September 27, 2011 10:46 AM PDT
    I have been there but it gives you pieces of roads - no continuos paths from start to stop - Thanks
    • 0 posts
    September 27, 2011 10:52 AM PDT
    JJTV4 do what I do mate..Look at the compass and just take the back road in the direction ya wanna go..Gettin a bit lost is half the bloody fun of it mate..CHEERS BOOF
  • September 27, 2011 11:02 AM PDT
    When you go 400 miles and get 25 mpg w/ premium that gets old quick. It's fun to explore but if your meeting others and don't want to be a splat on the highway I am looking for some electronic help
  • September 29, 2011 2:47 AM PDT
    Mapquest has an avoid highway feature but sometimes you have to segment the trip for more options.
    • 846 posts
    September 29, 2011 3:50 AM PDT
    I use Google maps which in the direction section has the options of Avoid Highways and Avoid tolls. This has worked for me. Plus if you don't like the route just drag it to a roadway of your choosing. That's my 2cents and I'm of the nature to forget the direction (left on the table at home or some other place) and just head off in a direction like Boof.
    Most of the folk that I ride with let me lead not because of a well planned trip (they now I have no clue sometime where I am) but we always get there in the end and have see something different along the way. As Boof said it half the fun is getting there. Even meeting up with folks I give mayself a little more time because I get distracted easy and don't take the same way twice (never been late yet).
  • September 29, 2011 4:08 AM PDT
    Yes Google worked great but Map-quest fell short, it grayed out the highway check box from Chicago to Cincinnati. But worked when I broke up the routes?
  • September 29, 2011 4:51 AM PDT
    I like the new google map feature where you can just drag the route around to change roads. Great way to get where you're going on the roads you want to take.
    • 2 posts
    October 6, 2011 3:13 PM PDT
    Google maps has worked well for me too - After I figured out how to do the same thing you are trying to do - PITA while figuring it out.

If you want adventure take your Tom-Tom & say "shortest distance" - Can't use mine while on the motorcycle cause sunlight washes out the display - but the places it has sent us while driving the truck are beyond my prose