Grainger County Humane Society Bike Run

• August 27, 2011 11:02 AM PDT
    Today was my first run since moving to the state of Tennessee.  I joined with the folks promoting awareness for the Grainger County Humane Society.  We left from Classic Leathers in Morristown heading in the general direction through Sneedville towards Tazwell.  Along the way, we passed though some awesome scenery and winding rodes with tight hairpin turns.  Got to our first pitstop for some gas, bathrooms, drinks and snacks.  No problems except for a flat tire which we got repaired very quickly.  On the second leg of the trip, things got ugly quick.  We were following the lead truck and I was the 4th bike behind him riding on the right side of the road.  We were approaching a left bend in the road which had a gravel driveway just before it with some gravel which had been gradually carried out by the resident's vehicles.  I saw this gravel but was too late to make an adjustment to go around it.  I hit it while at the same time straightening the bike because I didn't want the tires to skid out from under me.  Well, the bike went straight and the road went left.  I went into the dirt shoulder and the bike started to jump side to side.  Then I went into a rainwater gully with grass and damp clay which made recovery efforts even more futile.  Long story short, I ditched it.  Next thing I know, I'm surrounded by what seemed like 5 guys trying to determine if I was ok and what happened. They helped me get it out of the ditch and back on the road.  I was ok (all but my ego), thank God to the damp grass and clay.  But the bike was a bit damaged, though still driveable enough to get it off the road and into the nearby neighbor's driveway.  Rocky and Scott Hosey and friends hung around until the wrecker arrived and then we left.  Guys and gals, your all a really swell bunch of folks and I hope the rest of the trip was uneventfull.  I only wish I could have made it the rest of the way.  If anyone took pictures of the winery and mountain top, I'd be so grateful if you'd share them.
  • August 27, 2011 10:25 PM PDT
    Hello Marc,
    Sorry about your accident.
    But I am glad your ok.
    I think I was the 2nd guy there helping you up, and getting your bike out.

I have posted some pictures of the ride.
    I can only put up so many, but I hope you like them.
    Look at the photos and click on the Cruising for the Critters.

• August 29, 2011 1:40 AM PDT
    Thanks for posting those pics and for the help. Awesome bunch of folks!
    • 5420 posts
    August 29, 2011 9:41 AM PDT
    Hey Marc, Things happen, but the good news is you're ok. And at least you were riding in a group so that you had the help to get you up and out of there.

Hope you get your bike fixed and back on the road soon.
  • September 8, 2011 2:21 PM PDT
    Thanks Lucky, My riding days may be over for this year but will use the down time to repair the bike and get her ready for next year. Keep the road down and the sky up, my friend.