Who Exactly are the "Real Bikers"?

• September 29, 2011 2:44 AM PDT
    I found this posting unsettling.  I think this guy is worried WAY to much about what everybody else thinks.  I have never had any of these feelings when meeting a group in preparation for a ride. 
    For one, I could care less what type of bike you have.  We have a common interest and thats cool in my book.  True, I'm a Harley snob, but it doesn't mean I'll look at you different because you have choosen a different brand of motorcycle than I. Nor will I make fun of you, give you dirty looks, or not want to ride with you.  My pipes are loud, very loud.  I didn't get them to drowned out your bike or scare babies.  Truthfully, the Vance & Hines look bad ass on it, the sound comes with the territory.
    Here in New Hampshire helmets are optional.  I happen to be more comfortable with one on.  But I certainly don't start counting off the amount of people in the crowd who rightfully choose not to wear one.  Nor do I ever feel the "eyes" of people on me for having one on.  I don't think anyone really gives a damn what I've got on.  
    As far as cliques go,  if I arrive at a poker run with some buddies or I happen to see some folks that I might know, does that mean that we can't hang out?  I have always found that when riding in formation, you get to know the people around you and I enjoy that.  I love meeting new people and talking about bikes....even if it is a BMW or Honda....I don't care.
    Now we come to drinking.  Me personally?  Yep, I've had a Bloody Mary or a beer when riding.  However, I limit it to just that.  Sure, I've seen others drink more.  Hey, it's their choice and their ass out there risking it, I'll keep my distance, thanks. 
    Maybe the next time buddy decides to go on a 100 mile ride he'll research it a little bit better and realize that you have to stop frequently for a poker run.  Oooo another bar or tavern?  Sorry there wasn't a waterfall or car show to stop at.  Sounds to me like he needs to put his big boy panties on and take his card.
  • September 29, 2011 3:56 AM PDT
    I got on my first cycle at very young age and ran into the garage door,it broke and fell on my head. Been riding two wheel cycles on and off for over 60 yrs. Do not care if your on two, three, four wheels. If you want to call yourself a biker. Do so. 1% or 99% who cares. If you are at an event if people want to make friends with you. So be if not so be it. Be yourself and not worry about what others are saying or doing. Hell if you worry about other peoples riding habits you will be a basket case.
  • October 1, 2011 5:28 PM PDT
    I like this guy!
    I too can be quite the outkast poser I guess... I like to ride, I DO NOT do HOG rides or functions, I CANNOT stand that group at all, I get flashbacks of ABATE groups.
  • October 1, 2011 7:02 PM PDT
    some really good post here. what is a biker? you know I have heard the term riders quite abit lately and I would think that would be the qualifier for all if you ride you are a rider, if you ride a bike then you are a biker. I have never worried about whether or not I am a biker, I ride to enjoy the ride and feel the wind, to share or swap stories of other riders (bikers) that I meet whehter that just be on the road at an event or whereever. I think as long as you are sharing the brotherhood of the road you are that rider (biker) thats the only thing I would think that would be the qualifier is sharing that love of your fellow rider and granted some of us are harder to love than others. Ride hard and ride safe but most importantly RIDE!
    • 638 posts
    October 2, 2011 2:20 AM PDT
    wheels wrote...
    Bum wrote...
    Yo, man, I once put it this way to someone who asked me what a real biker is. I told him when you are one you'll know it. When you meet one you'll know it. Its really simple, your a real biker when all you do are bikes and you're a loner. Hey man, ur welcome around me Edgewalker. I also used a very loose analogy as follows: The U.S. Army is unique in that it has soldiers and real soldiers. Those that start out in or stay in Airbourne, those that do Rangers and those that do Special Forces are the real soldiers.

Your so called loose analogy is assinine!! Every man or women that signs up for the military is a real soldie period!! You are going to have a tough time convincing someone who spent time in a combat zone that they aren't "real soldiers" Your comments are offensive to all of us who have proudly served this country! JERK    

X2...all who serve are soldiers
  • October 2, 2011 4:34 AM PDT
    Soldiers (Army "HOOAH!") Sailors (Navy "HOOYAH!") Air Men (Air Force "?") Marine (Marine Corps "HOORAH!")
    • 130 posts
    October 2, 2011 7:22 AM PDT
    Well, shit, another "biker" site turn into the VFW.
    • 0 posts
    October 2, 2011 11:27 AM PDT
    Shaking my head...Old saying goes something like this"Its better to keep your mouth shut and people think your an arsehole than open it and confirm it"...CHEERS BOOF
    • 611 posts
    October 2, 2011 6:34 PM PDT
    fiddlemike wrote...
    Well, shit, another "biker" site turn into the VFW.

Well shit Fiddle.... there are a lot of bikers/riders that are ex-service....
    Bum made a goof/oops and some of us called him on it... Same as it ever was.
    I really think Bum didn't MEAN to be disrespectful... and yeah 'BOOF', yer right too...
    "Let he who is without faults, throw the first stone."

just sayin....
    Edge

• October 3, 2011 2:57 AM PDT
    Well being retired and my wife still in I guess that makes my status a has-been soldier! LOL

While I agree with a lot of the sentiment here I have seen some of the biggest assholes on all sorts of bikes. To me it comes down to if you actually enjoy riding or if you're doing it to impress someone. I personally couldn't care less what anyone thinks of me when I ride other than that I ride safe (in groups) I ride fast (when solo or with other like-minded riders). I have always ridden Harleys, my first Harley was an 83 XLX Sportster, my first love so to speak. I have never looked back. I have ridden other models but most of them just don't do it for me, not saying their bad bikes in any way I think it's just a personal choice when it comes to riding what's out there. I have just always been a huge fan of Harleys and so much so I went through the HDU program.

Who is a 'real biker'? What counts is knees in the breeze and if finding the road the most peaceful place you can think of on two wheels. The old adage I have heard and repeated a few times is: It's not WHAT you ride it's IF you ride.
  • October 3, 2011 3:14 AM PDT
     Do you have to be inked w/o sleves to be here?  I have been riding since 5 years old, on anything with 2 wheels.  In winter I snowmobile (and ride my Polaris XLT with my Articat jacket on)   I am not brand loyal at all - I go for performance and technology first and now ride a 28 year old bike that still can scare the shit out of me.  It's a Honda V65 Magna and most of you know what that is as you seen them passing you.  It's something I liked back in college and now have.  A good HD bud of mine saw it and almost gave it a hug  he used to have one and knows it does wheelies in most gears.  I got to 152 before I could not hold on anymore.   Well NO ink, short hair, and a biker - YES I am 
  • October 3, 2011 3:58 AM PDT
    Can't really say who IS a REAL biker but personally don't think it is someone that;

only rides on the weekend from one bar to the next

rides to only try and impress others

trailers a bike to a rally when there aren't any time constraints (actually used to think this about any 'Trailer Queen' but getting soft in my old age ... but not that 'soft' yet)

looks down on anyone because they don't have a Harley

or rides in a unsafe manner putting himself or others in harms way ... jus sayin'
  • October 3, 2011 4:37 AM PDT
    Real biker's don't ask that question....nor do they feel compelled to answer it. ;-)
    • 9 posts
    October 3, 2011 7:14 AM PDT
    My bike, just like my lifestyle are a choice. And I don't care what anyone else rides, as long as they ARE riding.
    None of us die-hards, started out on Harley's. (at least not the majority). Mini bikes, dirt bikes, scooters....snow mobiles, 4-wheelers...you get the idea. It's more of a passion of thrills. And everyone's thrills don't have to be identical, to be identified with. I get MY kicks on a Harley. What you get YOUR kicks on is up to you. And I'll support any choice YOU make. Let's just ride, OK?
    Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 580 posts
    October 4, 2011 2:37 AM PDT
    Good one Edgewalker and one that keeps cropping up.

And the age old quote goes for me

"A biker is someone who rides through choice. Not because it's the most comfortable way to transport your body but because it can be the most majical way to carry the soul".

I just love riding my bike - whether its a nice slow bimble on back lanes and pleasant countryside, a weekend blast with the boys or a ride out helping a cause. I'm not the best rider, nor do I think the worst but I sure as hell think of myself as a 'real biker' as I know all the guys and gals on here are - whatever you ride

Hugs

• 611 posts
    October 4, 2011 6:42 AM PDT
    WOW! I thank ALL of the riders/bikers that have commented on this post. Like I said to begin with, I did NOT write this, I brought it from another forum. THANK YOU to the Admin folks of this site for allowing it to stay.
    EVERYONE that has signed in on this and said their piece about what it meant to be a motorcycle rider to THEM. I saw myself reflected in their words (sometimes), I saw folks who just don't care what others think about them (my view) and I saw folks that truly KNOW what makes a biker/rider... to them!
    Thank you all for sharing & venting & thinking.... Now everyone,
    Ride Enjoy Repeat!
    Edge
  • October 4, 2011 8:59 AM PDT
    I just found out my last quip didn't register. Must not have been on the last page. I'm not goin to repeat it. Better someone should comment later.

Just for the record, there are experienced, highly trained mechanics and there are gas station attendants who focus on checking air in tires, oil, water, etc. and take it very seriously. They are commited to what they're doing and are out in the rain and cold just like the other fella. However, I wouldn't call them real mechanics. There are Chefs with a Master's degree who are responsible for the entire kitchen and everything that goes on in that kitchen and there are dishwashers who sweat and work endlessly to make their part of the chain happen. Yes, they're both needed and important even if their jobs are diffrent, however, I'd rather eat the Chef's cooking. There are those who read everything they can about motorcycles, have no m/c license and repeat a lot of good tales, and, there are people who ride 10K-13K or more miles every year. I would think the latter are the real bikers.

I rode rode as a loner and saw a lot of groupies doing their thing and soon one went to Dallas, another to Sosellito & another stayed put. They all found new friends and the one that stayed put still boasted about the accomplishments of the old unit the other two long forgot about. There was a tough guy from high school who always looked for a fight and the last time he got in a fight he was hospitalized for 6 weeks. He doesn't get into fights anymore.

In conclusion, 4get the past in that not everyone is still living it and just ride your bikes, live and let live.
  • October 5, 2011 9:10 AM PDT
          I thought this post was about what a "biker" is, not how you served. I've read the posts here and I think everyone is pretty much in agreement on all points, even Bum. I understood what he was trying to say, and I think that most of us really did too. Some people just don’t have the ability to communicate well with others. That being the case, I think that we should cut, Bum, a little slack. After all he is only saying the same thing as everyone else here, in his own way, and I don’t think he meant any disrespect.
    • 130 posts
    October 5, 2011 9:35 AM PDT
          IOK Bum you can take your foot out of your mouth now ...

That's cutting slack?
  • October 5, 2011 9:59 AM PDT
    Right...
  • October 6, 2011 4:40 AM PDT
    Thank you.

And I'll say it again, Just keep riding, live and let live. No questions, no complaints, just do it biker.
    • 611 posts
    October 9, 2011 6:46 PM PDT
    Coolness! I read all the replies... this is good! I'm proud to see the answers to a question that really has as many answers as there are people. Full spectrum and well said, to all!
    Edge
    • 58 posts
    October 10, 2011 2:13 AM PDT
    Wow, a lot of great thoughts here. I guess I must belong to the "poser" side of the equation since I only ride 2 weekends a month. Not that it could possibly make a difference that I am only home to ride 2 weekends a month. Or that in the year and a bit that I've had this bike (FLHPEI) I've managed to put on over 14,000 miles. Or is it that the moment I walk in the door, my wife is handing me my helmet and telling me to go find my "zone". I have always been a "rider", she calls me her "biker". So, poser or not, let's ride!
  • October 10, 2011 2:19 AM PDT
  • October 18, 2011 12:57 AM PDT
    RufCut, your 'let's ride' is exactly what I was trying to say but managed to drown it in words!

Isn't it odd when you see some of these groups that get together, most of them don't really know each other yet they act like they've been through all of life's great adventures together. It's like a circus, there are clowns and jugglers and the ring leader and no matter how its orchestrated most often times it just comes off pathetic especially when you look at some of their odometers (I'm picking on a CERTAIN group with doctors, lawyers and politicians). I was at the local dealership here and wearing a different patch and NONE of them bothered to say hello or anything, I almost felt invisible! It was weird. I was putting on no airs, being my usual friendly self... so I'm just going to say that perhaps we bikers can spot our own! LOL My dad would probably say "If you're calling everyone else in the room an asshole, maybe you should go look in the mirror?" LOL

I know I can be a pain in the ass but truly I'm still new here and looking for riding buddies so I suppose it's a whole different breed here in Monterey! LOL