Moving to Phoenix

• 2 posts
    August 14, 2011 9:12 AM PDT
     Well, the day after Labor Day I will be making a big move to Phoenix, Az. I'm looking forward to mild winter's but, I'm a little concerned about the summers. I'm excited to move to a amazingly scenic part of our country but, I'm sad to be leaving my great friends and family. I have no friends or family in the Phoenix area and I'm not really looking forward to becoming a loner. Needless to say I have mixed emotions about the move. If anyone has any advice on living in the area I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance 
    • 638 posts
    August 14, 2011 9:46 AM PDT
    pack some Gold Bond Medicated powder
    • 2 posts
    August 14, 2011 10:00 AM PDT
    done!
    • 0 posts
    August 14, 2011 10:01 AM PDT
    Just do what I do when go to a new town mate..Walk into a bar and yell"OK WHO WAS THE BEST FIGHTER HERE BEFORE I GOT HERE..When some giant big bloke pipes up and says"ME" just tell the bartender you'd like to buy your new best mate a drink..Breaks the ice and makes new friends at the same time..Works nearly every time mate...CHEERS BOOF
    • 2 posts
    August 14, 2011 11:01 AM PDT
    BOOF, lol good advice. I'll have to try that.
    • 567 posts
    August 14, 2011 12:42 PM PDT
    I haven't ever lived in AZ, but this old Florida boy knows a couple of tricks ...
    Sunscreen is great. But you don't wanna be putting it on your skin all the time. Some of the time, you might want to wear a long sleeved shirt just to cut down on the chemicals and still keep the sun from frying your forearms. The shirts put out by companies like Columbia that have the open air fly in the back and buttons to hold rolled up sleeves are pretty nice.
    The full and visor'd helmets will just about suffocate you. If you go with a half helmet so that you can get more air, look for one with some kind of venting to allow air to get to the top of your head. And douse a kerchief in water to wrap around your neck for extra cooling.
    When its extra hot, take more breaks. Get re-hydrated. And watch out so that you don't get heat stroke.
    • 5420 posts
    August 14, 2011 2:31 PM PDT
    Hey Paul, its hot but if you are prepared you can learn to deal with it. I know you always here me talking 'bout the dreaded ride through the desert because there is no way to head east from where I am without going through the Mojave.

Like Bill said first and foremost sun protection. Unlike the humid heat of FL, the AZ heat is DRY and will dehidrate you before you know it. Best thing I have found is to keep the sun and hot wind off you completely. A long sleave white t-shirt works great for me. Second bring and drink LOTS of water and / or thirst quenchers (like gatoraid). They will not only keep you from dehydrating, you will find you body temp stays lower and you will be more comfortable when well hydrated.

Ok, other than the weather, you will love AZ. There is some great riding there. Of course you have the deserts to ride in to the east, west & south, but just a short ride north of Phoenix you're in the AZ highlands with trees, rolling hills and even mountains with winter ski resorts. Plus there are a ton of great events in Arizona.

And don't worry about being a loner, there are LOTS of riders in AZ. We ride out there a lot so we'll give you a shout next time we're heading that way!
    • 1780 posts
    August 14, 2011 11:38 PM PDT
    My son lives in phoenix and I've gone out for a visit in July before. Just do what everyone has already told you to do, and you will be OK. Hell the reason those Road Runner Birds run so fast is because ......They don't have any shoes.
    One cool thing they have out there is ...some of the freeways they mix rubber into the ashphault, and it is like ridding on a cloud.
    • 2 posts
    August 19, 2011 1:46 PM PDT
    Thanks for all the great advice! My tentative day of departure is 9/7. It's coming up very fast. The moving truck is arriving next week. Ugh.
  • August 21, 2011 6:08 AM PDT
    I won't list the tips everyone gave again. There are a lot of riders here.....I live in the southeast part of the state, and you can ride almost year round.
  • August 23, 2011 1:57 PM PDT
    I live on the west side Moved here in 2004 from NC Hickory area. I won't be moving back love it we can ride 12 months out of the year. I know it is hot as h3ll in the summer that is when we ride up north ( Flagstaff area).
    • 2 posts
    September 7, 2011 4:02 PM PDT
    Leaving tomorrow am. Wish me luck.