Sturgis Bound - Chip?

• July 23, 2011 5:32 AM PDT
    Hi Folks,

New here, so hello!

I am off to Sturgis in under two weeks and was thinking about staying at the Buffalo Chip this year...Last year we stayed at the Day's End Campground and it was real good, (Great access to highway so getting out of town was a breeze for our day trips and the walk to down town was easy...However, we were thinking about increasing the party factor this year...so the Chip is an option.
    Having said that, I am wondering about the ride from DT Sturgis to the Chip...I have heard that it is gravel and traffic can be really bad stop and go...

So, those of you that have stayed there, can you give me some honest feedback on the site, the ride on the gravel, etc so that we can make a decision on wheere to stay?  Thanks in advance, Jeff.
  • July 23, 2011 7:13 AM PDT
    I've always heard that if you didn't make your reservations LAST year, you won't get close this year. I went to Sturgis in '95, but my memory of it isn't real clear.
    Good luck and be careful.
    • 1516 posts
    July 23, 2011 7:13 AM PDT
    I have only been once and we stayed at the chip. The traffic can be pretty bad, although sometimes you can slip out the back way, problem with that is the area right in front of the chip, it can get all congested again. The chip its self was pretty hot and very little shade where we were. Also, the showers got pretty nasty after a few days, and the ones closes to us, didn't even have hot water after about 9 am. On the up side, you can walk a short distance to the concerts which was GREAT! I loved that. I think when I go again, I would not stay at the Chip. Just my opinion
  • July 23, 2011 12:55 PM PDT
    thanks for the responses...may just make a day trip to the chip and make the call for next year! Jeff.
  • July 24, 2011 2:48 PM PDT
    We're staying at the Broken Spoke,Easy in and out and great showers and lundry room.....
    • 467 posts
    July 24, 2011 3:54 PM PDT
    We stay at Glencoe. Great showers, lots of shade, good grass, creek running through, "beach" with pond, small concerts, lots of conveniences. It is only a mile closer to town than the Chip, but it is all paved.
  • February 1, 2012 4:21 PM PST
    Well I stay at the chip in 00 and 11, I didn't have any problems, traffic shit that is everywhere, yes the roads are gravel but its hard packed. Ya want the party you got it, I know our group got in trouble and security came in cause we hopped up a golf cart and jumped it LOL!, the shows were fantastic, the industry dinner was ok, enjoyed the swimming hole, and art show, loved the zip line. I had fun, but like most things it is what you make of it. have a great one! "T"