Has anyone had this happen increase oil temp?

• 846 posts
    July 18, 2011 9:13 AM PDT
    I’ve running a factory 103 motor in my FLPD and have had a Oil Level and Temperature Dipstick P/N 62700005 for the last year and a half. This season I switched from petroleum oil to synthetic oil and now I see not a temperature decrease but an increase in the oil temperature of about 10-20 degrees. I’m going to check the gauge first but has anyone ever come across something similar? Some of the reading have gotten quit high and got me concerned.
    The bike has a stock oil cooler on it and the only other change this year has been the slip on pipes from America Custom.
    I reread last year’s topic on oil temp but it did apply to me in this case.
    Thanks
    • 5420 posts
    July 18, 2011 9:54 AM PDT
    Chaz,

Synthetic oil should help the engine run cooler since engine heat is caused from friction and synthetic lube is supposed to reduce friction.  But remember there are so many things that can effect oil temp - riding condition and style, outside air temp, humidity, among other things.

Unless all these conditions are exactly as they were before the change from traditional dino oil to synthetic lube, it is probably not the syn making it run hotter.

One other important thing to remember is your dip stick temp gauge is measuring oil temp, not engine temp. Synthetic lube may indeed absorb more of the engine heat making it hotter and the engine cooler. I don't know this for a fact so maybe someone who does know could chime in on that.

And yes your exhaust change could change your engine operation temp. If the exhaust leaned the engine out at all that will result in slightly higher engine temp.

What is the actual temp you are seeing now? City and open road?
  • July 18, 2011 11:17 AM PDT
    Does it burn your inner thigh when your riding at hwy speeds? Are you riding in extreme conditions? And most importantly the big v-twin is designed to run on the hot side. Buy a mid frame air-deflector and stop more often for cold beer when your out riding. We ride all the time across the desert and the temps are 120plus on the blacktop and the oil I use is Mobil 1 20w50 full synthetic and the bike has less problems with the heat than we do. Ride safe buddy!!
    • 846 posts
    July 19, 2011 2:06 AM PDT
    One of the things in the back of my mind is the temperature gauge itself also. I checked it with the bike cold this morning and it was within a degree or two of the air temperature. The readings for a back road run to work @ 70 degrees air temp with 60 percent humidity this morning and over 30 miles was 241 degrees. This same run to work use to run about 234 degrees not a big difference but not what I expected with Synthetic. What got me to write this was a 290 degree reading I got this weekend, but it was in the 90’s and humid and slow going as it was a charity ride. Some of the other reading where in the 250-260 range which I had only seen on really hot and humid day when using petroleum oil in the past.
    “One other important thing to remember is your dip stick temp gauge is measuring oil temp, not engine temp. Synthetic lube may indeed absorb more of the engine heat making it hotter and the engine cooler. I don't know this for a fact so maybe someone who does know could chime in on that.”
                Lucky, your comments above was something I was wondering also. If I can only repeat if some has any to add on that, please do.
                Wheels, Mine bike since it a PD model comes with heat shield for the inner thighs and it doesn’t feel any hotter than normal. Then again an eye opener before work in the morning wouldn’t be a bad idea.
                The thing that gets me is when I ran petroleum and got into the 260 range the clutch would get sloppy and a pain in the a** in stop and go traffic, now it doesn’t a nice change and what I expected. I may put the baffles back in the exhaust to see if that lowers the temp (the American customs have baffle options and I have a mid range set in the garage) but normal run with the louder setting.
                If anyone has anything to add please do.
    • 19049 posts
    July 19, 2011 3:12 AM PDT
    I'm gonna go with the baffles leaning out the mixture. Keep this post going.
  • July 19, 2011 8:02 AM PDT
    I run Amsoil in all 3 holes, My 100 hp 95 in. has never ran higher then 246º. That was in Sturgis last year. It was over 100º and we were in downtown backed up traffic for over 45 minutes. I would say that you are running WAY TO LEAN to cause the increased temp. Let us know what the outcome is. Good luck...
  • July 20, 2011 8:59 AM PDT
    If you haven't already done so, put it on a Dyno!
    • 846 posts
    July 21, 2011 6:31 AM PDT
    Ok, a little update here. Tuesday night I was starting to get some normal reading 220’s then in some cases the temp and oil level wouldn’t light or give a reading. This lead me to switch out the battery in the dip stick even through it wasn’t giving a low battery warning. Took at quick half hour spin and got a 220 reading. Today is hotter and more humid (95 and 45% humidity) then yesterday, but at lunch to check a buddy had his bike in with an oil temp gauge also (different Harley Softtail vs my RK) but we’ve check temps before and I had a base line of the temp difference. When we got back after lunch his reading was 222 and mine 219. In the past there was a 10 difference in temp from his bike to mind. I account this to his using the horse shoe oil tank and I have the oil cooler. I’m feeling a little better now.
                I still plan to put the baffles back in tomorrow just to see if that makes a difference. Since I have a 200+ mile run to do this Saturday and it suppose to but in the high 90 if not 100 and humidity in the 60% range. So I would like to run as cool as possible.
                I may be mistaken but I was lead to believe that with the present day Harley’s with fuel injection (mines included it’s a 2009) the EMC would readjust for a change in the pipes (mine are slip on’s) and in the air cleaner as long as they weren’t changed at the same time.
                Thanks for everyone input so far.
  • July 21, 2011 4:42 PM PDT
    The ECM reads open and close loop signals with varying temps... it doesn't automatically tune itself... It's programmed to go with the OEM set up only. It changes from open loop to closed loop depending a few factors, start up, temp, speed (cruising or acceleration). Great design and if you get the SE Super Tuner interlock you get a lot more out of your ECM, way more than a Power Commander.
    • 846 posts
    July 26, 2011 3:24 AM PDT
    Update due to the constant weather changes here in the northeast getting a base line is tough. But on Friday of last week I placed the baffles back in my pipes and ran them all day. Due to the heat and humidity it ran hotter by about 10-15 degrees then without them. (I’ll try this again when the temps level out).  I removed them for the Saturday run and even in the high 90’s and humidity it ran about 220-230. So I’m thinking that the battery was on the way out in the temperature gauge.
    Black9 thanks for the input I may just do that (SE super tuner and dyno) when the coin comes available just to be on the save side and for a piece of mind.