Motorcycle Battery Post

• July 4, 2011 3:32 AM PDT
    Has anyone come up with a fix for the battery post breakdowns on the Interstate battery?  Mine is 3 years old and because of vibration, the "cage" for the holdown's have both split & broke...I have a 2004 1200C Sportster..I am going to get a new battery tomorrow and thought someone might know a good fix for this problem...Thanks
  • July 6, 2011 11:20 AM PDT
    Yep must be no one ever had a battery post break on their battery>>>Oh yeah I guess they all just stay in the garage...Don't worry, new battery is in and as I keep checking to see if the connections are tight I will be thinking of the garage rides!!!
    • 9 posts
    July 6, 2011 11:31 AM PDT
    I can assure you, my "05 XL1200C ain't sitting around, got over 66k on her & on my third battery. Never had a post break, had to change it out due to the hot Fla. weather.
    • 5420 posts
    July 6, 2011 12:20 PM PDT
    Haven't ever heard of that happening, but I have stripped out a post being a little heavy with the wrench. I usually run my batteries about 4 years (60 - 80k) then swap it out just to make sure I don't get stranded somewhere. Hopefully it was just one bad one and you won't ever see it again.
    • 3006 posts
    July 6, 2011 4:17 PM PDT
    Whats the typical battery life? My original battery lasted a little over 6 years,probably would have lasted longer had I bothered to run a battery tender.My current has been in for abt 2 years,and i run the battery tender once a month..
    i can understand your frustration,batterys aint cheap.
    • 19034 posts
    July 7, 2011 2:53 AM PDT
    Like Lucky, I have Never heard of this problem. Is that year still rigid mount? I also change mine, needed or not, at four years for rubber mounted gel cell. When I had wet plate types it was three years.
  • July 10, 2011 2:17 AM PDT
    i have only seen a split when they have been overtightened like lucky said.
    • 567 posts
    July 10, 2011 2:46 AM PDT
    I broke the post mount on a car battery once. Never had it happen since simply because I don't "gorilla grip" them any longer. The batteries on the various scoots I've owned always lasted close to 4 years. I usually just change em out the first sign that they getting ready to fail.