Should be funny but is not

• 2 posts
    June 8, 2011 1:27 AM PDT
    http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/health/woman-trapped-under-harley-during-class />
    Got to read this - This lass should have been at they gym not her local HD dealer (Tho, in truth, the dealer mad a couple of mistakes)
    • 395 posts
    June 8, 2011 1:50 AM PDT
    see...this is exactly my problem. i am 4'11, and everytime i go into a bike shop they want to put me on some massive bike that i KNOW i can't handle. she should have said no to getting on it, if it doesn't feel comfortable to sit on while stationary, it ain't gonna get any better moving.
    • 19052 posts
    June 8, 2011 2:35 AM PDT
    Once again stupidity runs amok. With the rider and somewhat with the dealer. Sue, Sue, Sue, and who pays for all this? We do.

And Savage, where do you find all these stories? Great input, once again. Thanks.
    • 846 posts
    June 8, 2011 7:28 AM PDT
    Another case of the only one to make out is the lawyers. Were did personal responsablity go? I know completely out the doors years ago.
    • 0 posts
    June 8, 2011 9:04 AM PDT
    Bloody hell.Why does this keep happening.When Marni did her course there was a sheila there who dropped the bike 4 times. I said to the instructor "If i'm out riding and that sheila pulls up next to me at a stop light,i'll be back and bend your nose".He agreed and said her husband had spent a bloody fortune on lessons and that she had wreck two bikes before. I approached her husband and said "Mate If you want your missus knocked off for the insurance hire a hitman".Some poor bastards just dont have what it takes to ride a twowheeler no matter how much they train or wish apon a star. CHEERS BOOF
    • 3006 posts
    June 8, 2011 12:50 PM PDT
    I often wonder if the people who take to motorbike riding easily, started out riding a lot on bicycles?..From my own experience the skills I learned from riding bicycles in general has helped me while riding my motorcycles..
    • 467 posts
    June 8, 2011 1:12 PM PDT
    I take a safe rider course every 3 years for the insurance break and have seen several people that I knew right off should not have been there. And none of them finished the class. This woman was obviously very spoiled and stupid....probably would have sued them if they had turned her down. And the statement by the lawyer about HD only wanting to train people on HD just makes no sense. OF COURSE the company is going to train on their own equipment. Maybe she should have chosen a company that makes smaller bikes!
  • June 8, 2011 5:05 PM PDT
    My buddies wife got her motorcycle endorsement a few months back and I'm telling you one thing I for one am glad they don't have the money for her bike right now, she is flat ass scary. She had to take the course the harley D offered twice just to pass. I don't think some people have the common sense anymore not to know when to get on a bike an ride it anymore. I don't believe this had anything to do with her size it was her ability that caused this wreck. To bad some poor guys at this dealership will get canned over this when Harley pays this lady off to go away!
  • June 9, 2011 1:03 AM PDT
    Wow! And that was the smallest motorcycle they had!
    When I was taking my course, we all were sharing what kind of bikes we had or wanted. This one chic said she just bought a new Fat Boy. So after the typical OOO's and Ahh's from us Newbs we went out on the course That girl dumped that Buell five times. I watched her run straight into a fence. She quit the course on the 2nd day. I wonder how much she got for that Fat Boy.
    • 0 posts
    June 9, 2011 10:09 AM PDT
    Prolly not much from the bloody wreckers StreetBobGirl..Sounds like she wouldnt make it outta the bloody shed in one piece ..CHEERS BOOF
  • June 11, 2011 2:32 AM PDT
    When I was a kid, I worked a summer in a little resort town at a mini-bike track (same as a go-cart track but with bikes). One day, I refused to let a kid on a bike because I thought he was too small. The kid's father made a lot of noise and complained to the manager, who overruled me and let the kid ride.

Not two laps later, I was running across the infield because the kid had run off the track and dropped the bike. End of ride.
    • 2 posts
    June 12, 2011 1:14 PM PDT
     This looks more like an attorney trying to get a pay day then a case of negligence. I can't be sure without knowing more about the facts but, there are a few things that smell like B.S in the attorneys statements. (I'm paraphrasing the attorneys comments)

1) ATTNY: "Harley Davidson only wants Harleys used because they are big corporate jerks". 

ME:  As an MSF trained instructor I find this statement to be, at best, misleading. Harley Davidson dealerships offer the Riders Edge course through a sponsorship program with the MSF. The dealerships provide the motorcycles, classroom and sometimes the course area. The instructors  are employed by MSF, not Harley Davidson. The motorcycles are provided by the dealership so, BMW dealers have BMWs, Yamaha dealers have Yamahas, etc...

2) ATTNY: "The motorcycles provided were the smallest that Harley Davidson manufactures"

ME: Again misleading. The video shows students riding Buell Blasts. These are not Harleys. Although Harley at one point bought the controlling intrest in Buell, they doesn't make them Harleys. The Buell Blast is a 500cc beginners bike.

3) ATTNY: "A technician informed the instructor not to let the student ride anything in the store because she was too small."

ME: I would like to see if the technician will testify in court. The whole statement seems fishy. First of all, the techs don't have any involvement with the riders course. Nor are dealer techs givien the responsibility to size people to bikes. That would be a salesperson's responsibility.

4) There is no presentation of an opposing argument. We are only hearing one side of the story and there are a lot of details being left out. 
    For instance: The course "requirements" are very clear. I put "requirements" in quotes because they are part of the waiver and it is not the responsibiity of the instructors to enforce them. It is solely up to the student to make sure they meet the requirements.

Two of the main requirements include: the student be in good physical condition and that the student be able to ride a bicycle. The woman in the video appears to be significantly overweight and I suspect would fail a basic bicycle course.

• June 15, 2011 10:53 AM PDT
    Sounds like sour grapes only the second go around for her and she still can't figure out how to keep the bike on the rubber side. She's about as tall as she is wide, she should consider her health first and then tackle the balancing and riding stuff later... just saying.
  • June 15, 2011 11:04 AM PDT
    Sounds like once again people not taking responsibility for there own actions..... She knew the risks......
    • 1161 posts
    June 27, 2011 2:32 AM PDT
    We had a few drop the class as well one was talking about his new CVO he just got the day before after having it customized out. He bragged about paying for it strait out with cash. He sold it for a steal from what I hear. I took the class from a local collage for one it was cheaper then the local H-D Dealers and they had all sorts of different bikes (150cc-250cc). But I really wanted to take the course from H-D Dealers but maby the next time I take it I can from them. So she should have looked for a class with smaller bikes because I know there is courses that offer them. So IMO it is her fault 99% and the 1% the instructor. None from the dealer ( just for what is in the article is based on). So I don't have all the facts.
    • 2 posts
    June 27, 2011 1:39 PM PDT
    Seakers, the MSF course is pretty much the same from state to state with possibly some minor differences when discussing the state laws. Within any given state you will get the same course whether you take it from a state program or private program (through a dealer or driving school). The only differences tend to be motorcycle availability and class size. Smaller classes tend to be more expensive but, offer greater instructor attention and longer class/course time.

I always felt students should learn on larger (500cc+) bikes then smaller ones. This is only my opinion. There are instructors that disagree. The reason I believe this is because I rarely find that people remain content with bikes under 650cc's. There are of course exceptions but, most people will get bored with 250cc. The main concern with learning on a 250cc is that people become over confident on them and when they upgrade to a 650cc+ they can be more likely to make mistakes. There is a big difference between a 250cc and a 650cc+. I won't even get into a 150cc that should be on a dirt track.

That being said, I always advise people to treat every new bike as if it is their first time. Take it slow. Practice engaging and releasing the clutch. Practice figure 8's and circles, emergency stops...etc. Basically practice everything you learned in the course so that there are few surprises on the street.
  • June 28, 2011 5:30 PM PDT
    No its not funny.   thats why I love my grizzly.   Dirt road would be the death of me.