red key light on dash..

• June 3, 2011 4:16 AM PDT
    hey i have an 07 flhtp with some minnor mods done but now after changing out the bars ( and i dint know what that would have to do with it) my red key light is on on the dash. doesnt come up with any codes, and if reset comes back on. starts fine, and everything works (lights, signals etc). put a load equalizer in to see if that would do it and nothing. no leds on my bike except harleys aftermarket piece that looks like the street glide low tail section..any help is appreciated!!
    • 1364 posts
    June 3, 2011 5:28 AM PDT
    I am thinking if you have an alarm on the bike, It could be the the battery in the FOB is going low. You also might need to reset your security code...

Factory default is 3 -1-3-1-3. I will use this code as the example.

-Turn the key to IGNITION and immediately hold BOTH turn switches in until 5 dashes appear in the odometer window.
    -Enter the first digit of code by pressing the left turn switch 3 times (this will cycle through to the number 3 in the odometer).
    -Press the right turn signal once (this is the same as pressing the enter key).
    -Press the left signal 1 time.
    -Press the right signal 1 time.
    -Press the left signal 3 times.
    -Press the left signal 3 times.
    • 5420 posts
    June 3, 2011 6:52 AM PDT
    Believe it or not, this can be caused by a short or disconnected wire to one of the turn signal switches.

Do both turn signals function?
    • 19037 posts
    June 4, 2011 1:49 AM PDT
    If you don't already have it get a wiring schematic. A must for anyone ever messing with the electrics of the new bikes.
    I believe that bike has a proximity alarm system. Where all you need do is be near the bike with the fob and it will turn off. You mentioned replacing the bars. Did you route the wires inside the new bars? I did this very thing and found out after doing so that My 04 Road King alarm system uses the left turn signal return wire for the alarm antenna. So now I have to be very close to my bike to use my fob to set or release the alarm.

And as Lucky said, recheck ALL wiring. Whenever I develop a problem it usually has something to do with the last thing I messed with.
  • June 4, 2011 8:26 PM PDT
    You should have been given two fobs with your bike, try using the other one and see if it goes off. btw spend a little time setting up your manual alarm overide because you never know when your gonna need it and it is alot easier to do when your staring at the owners manual in your driveway instead of BFE.
    • 834 posts
    June 6, 2011 6:43 PM PDT
    since you said the bike starts, I don't think its a fob or code issue. sounds like a short to me.
  • June 6, 2011 8:12 PM PDT
    AzRider wrote...
    since you said the bike starts, I don't think its a fob or code issue. sounds like a short to me.

You are right! sorry missed the part about it starting.
  • August 16, 2011 10:48 AM PDT
    Gonna try resetting the code and see what happens..easiest first. then i will check the switches and things..thanks a bunch guys!
  • August 16, 2011 11:43 AM PDT
    Weak battery in the FOB will leave the key light on too. That's your warning it's time for a new one.
  • September 6, 2011 6:28 PM PDT
    Fob battery
  • April 21, 2013 11:53 AM PDT
     i just had taller bars put on my '09 road glide.. first time i rode it, the red key light came on the dash & the left directional lights don't work either (the bulbs are fine) after reading all the responses, looks like something was not properly wired when putting everything back together.  incidentally, i don't have the security key fob.
  • April 21, 2013 12:46 PM PDT
    oh... my heated grips aren't working now either. hahaa... needless to say, i'll be taking it back in tomorrow.
    • 2 posts
    April 22, 2013 4:15 PM PDT
    I'd guess you have an open or grounded circuit somewhere in the wiring harness.
    • 19037 posts
    April 23, 2013 12:33 AM PDT
    fuzzy wrote...
     i just had taller bars put on my '09 road glide.. first time i rode it, the red key light came on the dash & the left directional lights don't work either (the bulbs are fine) after reading all the responses, looks like something was not properly wired when putting everything back together.  incidentally, i don't have the security key fob.

There is a lot of wiring on the newer bikes and you definitely have a crossed wire or two, and a possible open supply or ground. I don't think it is a short, at least not to ground. If you paid a pro or shop to do the bars make them fix it! If you or a friend did the work then ABSOLUTLY get the correct schematic for that bike and trace the problem. 

Good Luck and keep us informed.