ironhead issues

• April 20, 2011 5:50 AM PDT
    hows it goin guys.. got ahold a 72 ironhead kick/elecric start not too long ago, ran fine for the longest time now it wont start, i changed the plugs and cleaned the carb but all it wants to do is spit and pop, adjusted air fuel back to stock... but the battery was shot (was arked previously and had half a ground terminal) now when i go to put the new battery in.. it sparks like crazy, looked down and theres a broken connector on what looks like the started solinoid any ideas? thanks guys  72 ironhead chromed out, drag pipes, 30 over, chop job in progress
    • 16840 posts
    April 20, 2011 7:28 AM PDT
    Check the started solenoid for electrical wiring, if that does fix the sparking trick and if the other problem is still there replace the condenser and points, cheap tip: got to local parts store and buy a set for a 350 Chevy, you will save money from not buying from H-D.
    • 0 posts
    April 20, 2011 8:53 AM PDT
    Mate your solenoid is earthin out somewhere gotta keep up with the wiring on ironheads otherwise it turns to shit quick.Like Rev sai points and condenser mate.I been through all this shit with my old bugger.Once you get it right its a bloody fun ride.CHEERS BOOF
    • 119 posts
    April 20, 2011 9:35 AM PDT
    while you are doing the points, might pull the points plate and check the shear pin. only take a sec
    Mark the plate and housing, so you know where it goes back.
  • April 22, 2011 6:24 AM PDT
    thanks guys i'll take a look at it thanks for the help
  • April 22, 2011 11:17 PM PDT
    you might want to look at XLFORUM.net its got tons of info on ironheads