passenger foot pegs

• March 29, 2011 3:42 PM PDT
    Just got my wife new h-d footpegs for her deluxe 2008,and they keep falling down after 20 miles or so.they have a pin and snap ring and also a d washer that is what keeps them in place... have same kind of pegs on my bike with no problem.Some have said to put bolt and nut on but that would just clamp it in place any advice???
    • 19049 posts
    March 30, 2011 12:19 AM PDT
    I am not familiar with your pegs but assuming you mean they lower from the retracted position I would have to guess that there is some sort of spring loaded detent system to keep them up. Is there and adjustment for that? Also recheck the parts exploded view in the install instructions to ensure you have everything in the correct order.
  • March 30, 2011 10:37 AM PDT
    thanks road dog for reply,have same pegs on my bike,and yes they lower after a few miles....just a pin with snap ring athing they call a d- washer and it is bent and goes next to peg to keep position???? dealer said to use abolt to pinch it but i am not picking up what they are laying down all parts are new  install same way as my bike no big deal just wondering if anyone else had same problem thanks
    • 58 posts
    March 30, 2011 11:10 AM PDT
    I used a bolt with lock (nylon?) nut. The "D" washer should be between the peg (male) end and the mount (female) with flat edge to the bike. The locknut holds without having to torque everything down and I can still move the pegs as desired. Haven't yet had a peg come down on its own.
  • March 30, 2011 12:56 PM PDT
    If it is pinned which I suspect it is you might try a wave washer, also referred to as a spring washer by some.  The spring action of the wave washer on her pegs should apply enough pressure to keep the pegs up, but not so much they cannot be positioned up and down.     jb

• March 30, 2011 2:53 PM PDT
    Its just threw me a little because I have them on my bike with no problem,have to re-check D-washer and make sure I put them in same way..thought I did???wave washer sounds good to.It came out stock with the pin and clip so I thought I would like to keep it that way but maybe not .might have to re-think doing grips myself after this...I used to wrench a lot on older kaws and yamaha and suzuki..first harley just recently...Thanks agian
    • 5420 posts
    April 1, 2011 3:49 AM PDT
    You would expect them to work as they should out of the box, but not always the case. I had the same exact problem with my Kuryakin highway pegs. They worked fine for about a month and then started falling down every time I put them up. There wasn't quite enough room for the wave washer without crushing it flat - which would have defeated the purpose - so I filed the peg block slightly and installed a wave washer. Been working fine ever since.